Options

45 years ago

KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
Forum Member
http://i.imgur.com/D6M7seS.jpg

Just beautiful. Yes, I'm trolling the deniers because your myopia and ignorance keeps humanity stuck in the mud.:mad:

Comments

• Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it?
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 2, but unsure whether my memories of the event are genuine or post-rationalised and adopted from later viewings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    What is it?

Apollo 11 launch
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't born for quite a while after that, whatever it is, and what's this about deniers?

Ah, my post crossed with the one above. Apollo 11. It went to the moon and cost a fortune. Evidently my family sat up for hours watching it on TV and my Mother told me she fell asleep because it was boring. To watch on TV she meant I think.
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apollo 11 launch

Thanks

Deniers? Another conspiracy?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't quite understand the OP as I was reading 'denier' as the measurement used in the textile industry for the thickness of yarn......:blush:

(it's pronounced differently)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    What is it?

It's a rocket.

Edit: Okay, have just seen that you probably meant what was it called.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

Just beautiful. Yes, I'm trolling the deniers because your myopia and ignorance keeps humanity stuck in the mud.:mad:

I could have sworn it was Wednesday 16 July 1969 at 2.32pm BST (cited from memory)
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Yay, it's a rocket ship *claps hands*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could have sworn it was Wednesday 16 July 1969 at 2.32pm BST (cited from memory)

It was. Landed on the Moon on the 20th.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 21 at the time. It was one of the most exciting and wondrous events ever, apart from Elvis, The Beatles and the Walker Brothers...............................:D
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the BBC playing a lot of "Also Sprach Zarathrusta" for their James Burke-led coverage but had only just turned three at the time.

As far as the OP's comment I think it's lack of money rather than deniers who are keeping the space projects grounded.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a pip in my mum's tummy while all this was going on but I believe it happened and think it was marvellous.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just over a year old. I would've loved to have been at an age to remember. I bet it was such an amazing experience.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started reading 2001: A Space Odyssey recently and it made me realise just how little space travel has advanced since the 60s. Based on the novel, they expected humans to have moon bases and to have even travelled to Mars by 2001 ( 13 years ago). Okay, yes this is a science fiction novel, but I think it's clear from it that by the 21st century the people in the 1960s expected space exploration to have made huge leaps forward.

But if anything, it seems to have taken steps backwards. Yes, we've sent unmanned probes to most of the planets in the solar system and even some which are on course to leave the solar system entirely. But in terms of manned space travel, we've made few advances. No-one has walked on the moon since 1972, we aren't much closer putting a man on Mars than we were back in the 60s and the space shuttle programme has been discontinued.

You could argue that mankind has other priorities such as improving conditions on Earth, but I still firmly believe that humans are destined to leave Earth and colonise space.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must watch "Capricorn One" to mark the occasion.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I started reading 2001: A Space Odyssey recently and it made me realise just how little space travel has advanced since the 60s. Based on the novel, they expected humans to have moon bases and to have even travelled to Mars by 2001 ( 13 years ago). Okay, yes this is a science fiction novel, but I think it's clear from it that by the 21st century the people in the 1960s expected space exploration to have made huge leaps forward.

But if anything, it seems to have taken steps backwards. Yes, we've sent unmanned probes to most of the planets in the solar system and even some which are on course to leave the solar system entirely. But in terms of manned space travel, we've made few advances. No-one has walked on the moon since 1972, we aren't much closer putting a man on Mars than we were back in the 60s and the space shuttle programme has been discontinued.

You could argue that mankind has other priorities such as improving conditions on Earth, but I still firmly believe that humans are destined to leave Earth and colonise space.

Well, people are really not needed for a lot of exploration... they are very expensive to send compared to robotic devices... so you get more exploration for your money. I think there will be more manned missions, but what is being achieved without them is pretty impressive.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I remember the BBC playing a lot of "Also Sprach Zarathrusta"

Apologies for going off topic, but I can't hear those words without thinking of the hilarious scene in A Fish Called Wanda when Kevin Kline is torturing Michael Palin.

"Well, Ken... I'm going to ask you some questions, while I eat my chips. First, who was the philosopher who developed the concept of the superman in Also sprach Zarathustra? No? That's a chip up the nose, I'm afraid."

:D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

To be fair, I think people expected us to have flying cars and personal jet-packs by now, so I tend to take the popular "view of the future" with a large pinch of salt!

I was just happy to see what was actually happening at the time, and was absolutely glued to the TV set, waiting for updates and live pictures from Apollo.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    To be fair, I think people expected us to have flying cars and personal jet-packs by now, so I tend to take the popular "view of the future" with a large pinch of salt!

BIB...haha - yes, that was my 'visions' of the future when I was a littlun!!!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

Why does this word always make me think of tights :o:D:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    There was a story going round that before they came back, everyone was going to dress up as an ape. :D
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

Ah but Capricorn One was much later.

;-)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

Great film,

When Elliot Gould went to his friends apartment, was the girl in on it????
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Why does this word always make me think of tights :o:D:)

Stockings ...