Gay stereotyping!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,573
    Forum Member
    A person who has been shown to be on the l00 per cent line of your heterosexual scale should be kept as straight IMO.

If they are shown to been l00 per cent straight then what is the point of making them only 50 per cent straight at some later date when it would make more sense to bring in a new character who is lower down on the scale.

Not every guy or woman is interested in the same sex sexually.

I've finished with this now.
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Best gay character at the moment... JP in H'Oaks...

Although Sean is a massie stereotype, thats how Antony Cotton is like in real life, in some ways its probably good just having an ordinary gay charactr as opposed to them being some ground breaking character that the soap uses for sensationalism
    I don't think of Sean as an ordinary gay character. Most gay guys I know are nothing like as camp as that - well, one is, but he's actually rather more camp than Sean, being of the Kenneth Williams school of gaydom (though rather a nicer person).

Many of my gay friends don't like camp guys, they actually prefer guys who are more like guys than women. One of them even said to me "why would I want to date a really camp guy? If I wanted to date a woman I'd go out with you darling!", and I do know a few who have said they unfortunately prefer straight guys. Unfortunately because it means they don't get lucky that often - still, I suppose we often want what we can't have. :rolleyes:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    A person who has been shown to be on the l00 per cent line of your heterosexual scale should be kept as straight IMO.

If they are shown to been l00 per cent straight then what is the point of making them only 50 per cent straight at some later date when it would make more sense to bring in a new character who is lower down on the scale.

Good, because I don't think you've understood my point so we wouldn't get anywhere. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its going to be a case of agreeing to disagree :D

Some topics you are never going to have a happy medium (sp)
    Forum Member
    BGFW wrote:
    Good, because I don't think you've understood my point so we wouldn't get anywhere. :)

That's pretty aggressive.

I don't agree with you. End of story.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    That's pretty aggressive.

Where's the aggression? :confused:
    I don't agree with you. End of story.

I know you don't. I was just saying I don't think you understood my opinion very well.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:

You miss the point I was making (and others made earlier).

The amount of gay or bi people in soaps as against real life is actually very limited. However the amount of gay people in soap who've suddenly turned straight is about equal in number with the amount of straight characters who 'suddenly' turn gay (usually only temporarily).

It's their lack of imagination. Gay people can have money problems, get hurt in accidents (or disasters), be racist, win the lottery (or come into money), deal drugs, have a parent being diagnosed as terminally ill, get involved with politics etc etc

But how many of those storylines have been dished out to gay characters in soaps? Producers think of the straight characters first. Hence the gay characters look one-dimensional and boring and straight people can't relate on other levels.

Look at 'Big Brother'. Despite the freak show nature at times viwers are much more able to forget who's gay straight or bi because they're fairly rounded characters in the main.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of gay stories are centred round their sexuality. I think its about time any soap introduced a gay person whose storyline doesnt revovle round their sexuality and Rysen if i remember correctly you did state this in the EE thread did you know, please correct me if i am wrong. Its the year 2007 move gay storylines along and make them more realistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    A lot of gay stories are centred round their sexuality. I think its about time any soap introduced a gay person whose storyline doesnt revovle round their sexuality and Rysen if i remember correctly you did state this in the EE thread did you know, please correct me if i am wrong. Its the year 2007 move gay storylines along and make them more realistic.

Indeed gay characters have a charmed life with regard to disaster stories, they are hardly ever even injured.

I think I remember "Dynasty" being an exception.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well lets hope it changes and we get some gritty storylines but what do you think the chances are :s
    Forum Member
    Yeah I did. I said I'd like to see them move forward. Gay marriage hasn't been tackled yet neither I think has gay adoption or a Lesbian couple who are expecting a child.

There is so much out there you can do with gay characters and good writers, we don't need to go over the old ground of guys/girls stealing girlfriends/ boyfriends off straight partners and destroying relationships that were previously sound. It's been done...lets move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    Well lets hope it changes and we get some gritty storylines but what do you think the chances are :s

I've hoped for decades, and there seems to have been little change.

I'm equally happy producers bringing in nasty gay characters too.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    Yeah I did. I said I'd like to see them move forward. Gay marriage hasn't been tackled yet neither I think has gay adoption or a Lesbian couple who are expecting a child.

Those are still plots revolving round their sexuality though.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    I've hoped for decades, and there seems to have been little change.

I'm equally happy producers bringing in nasty gay characters too.

G

yeah that would be good to see. I know adoption and marriage revovles round their sexuality but im a sucker for happy families gay or straight lol.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Not 'entertaining' then?

G

All soap characters need to be entertaining in one way or another.
  • nytramfilmsnytramfilms Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    pammi_i wrote:
    I don't think of Sean as an ordinary gay character. Most gay guys I know are nothing like as camp as that - well, one is, but he's actually rather more camp than Sean, being of the Kenneth Williams school of gaydom (though rather a nicer person).

Many of my gay friends don't like camp guys, they actually prefer guys who are more like guys than women. One of them even said to me "why would I want to date a really camp guy? If I wanted to date a woman I'd go out with you darling!", and I do know a few who have said they unfortunately prefer straight guys. Unfortunately because it means they don't get lucky that often - still, I suppose we often want what we can't have. :rolleyes:
    This is true of my gay friends too. They dont like the camp gay men but prefer str8 acting gay men. But I think the one thing they really hate is the TV networks and how the show most gay men as camp. In just about every make-over show their is a camp man playing to the camera.

If only the networks would show other kinds of gay men, but I guess they dont go down well with thier viewers! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Indeed gay characters have a charmed life with regard to disaster stories, they are hardly ever even injured.

I think I remember "Dynasty" being an exception.

G

The Dynasty story was only an excuse to re-cast the actor. And that character then turned straight...

Simon (the most boring gay character in the history of television ) from EE was hurt in a fire and ended up in hospital but because he was a rubbish character who's first storyline was about sexuality, it fell flat and he eventually went off to live elsewhere and no one batted an eyelid.
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Those are still plots revolving round their sexuality though.

G

True but this was only part of what I remembered posting.

I think I said I hoped they would bring a gay married couple in and have them go through the usual problems that straight married couples do...spousal abuse, alcoholism, extra marital affairs etc.

I did get your point about no one is l00 per cent either way, I just didn't agree with it. I do think that peoples personalities differ and some people are more experimental and sexually adventurous than others...but for alot of people the reality is very different from the fantasy and not everyone who has gay fantasies is a bi sexual or a potential bi sexual.
    Not every woman/man is capable of sleeping with a member of the same sex....which is what I felt you were saying.

I am not going to feel bad about wanting straight characters to stay straight. It doesn't make me a homophobe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    studenting wrote:
    The Dynasty story was only an excuse to re-cast the actor. And that character then turned straight....

I was thinking more of the Moldavian massacre when Luke Fuller was one of the few casualties.

Steven had already turned 'straight' by the oil rig fire, but eventually turned gay again AND got recast again as the original actor.

Well, this was "Dynasty"...

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rysen wrote:
    I did get your point about no one is l00 per cent either way, I just didn't agree with it. I do think that peoples personalities differ and some people are more experimental and sexually adventurous than others...but for alot of people the reality is very different from the fantasy and not everyone who has gay fantasies is a bi sexual or a potential bi sexual.
    Not every woman/man is capable of sleeping with a member of the same sex....which is what I felt you were saying.

I think that was a four-initialled poster you are referring to.

G
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is true of my gay friends too. They dont like the camp gay men but prefer str8 acting gay men. But I think the one thing they really hate is the TV networks and how the show most gay men as camp. In just about every make-over show their is a camp man playing to the camera.

If only the networks would show other kinds of gay men, but I guess they dont go down well with thier viewers! :(

In Taggart, one of detective team, Stuart Fraser is gay. I don't think he is camp. The first time the viewers were actually told he was gay was when the killer they were after was a man who was picking up men for sex and killing them and poor old Stuart was nearly killed. So while his sexuality was only revealed as a part of a plot device, it seemed to be a natural progression for us viewers to find out more about Stuart.
    There are four detectives in that team and none of them seem to be very lucky in love. Apart from Stuart, Robbie is a bit of a ladies' man, Jackie is divorced and occasionally has dates with men and Burke has very occasional flirtations with women. So all of them seem to be essentially single. I think the underlying idea is that being a detective makes it tough to sustain a relationship, regardless of your age or orientation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote:
    In Taggart, one of detective team, Stuart Fraser is gay. I don't think he is camp. The first time the viewers were actually told he was gay was when the killer they were after was a man who was picking up men for sex and killing them and poor old Stuart was nearly killed. So while his sexuality was only revealed as a part of a plot device, it seemed to be a natural progression for us viewers to find out more about Stuart..

ISTR there was a coment on one of the more recent stories that they'd conveniently 'forgotten' he was gay and gave him a casual heterosexual line.

One of the original "Dalziel and Pascoe" team ("Wieldy") was also gay but only seen once in the act (with a suspect unfortunately).

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im probs going to state the obvious then so all drama/soaps writers obvioulsy think that gay men/woman (sorry :p ) cant play hardmen or perform a a gritty storyline so basically its an insult to this actor/actresses acting ability and as usualy their character will 9/10 times be written out as they dont know what to do with them. Shame really as whatever your sexuality you deserve to be able to show your acting ability to its best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mags31 wrote:
    Im probs going to state the obvious then so all drama/soaps writers obvioulsy think that gay men cant play hardmen or perform a a gritty storyline so basically its an insult to this actor/actresses acting ability and as usualy their character will 9/10 times be written out as they dont know what to do with them. Shame really as whatever your sexuality you deserve to be able to show your acting ability to its best.

I think that's our central point, yes.

Sometimes even when they do a character better justice, such as Jason in "Emmerdale", it's still not enough for the actor to stop getting bored.

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its ashame, as the name of this thread, they are being stereotyped and its not encouraging gay people to venture into the acting business. They should be encouraging it not putting people off.