Options

Buying clothes - do you go for 'normal' brands or designer?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of both.

For work I'd usually wear Topshop, Warehouse, Next and Dorothy Perkins. Outside of work I wear Jack Wills, Ralph Lauren, Juicy Couture and Abercrombie & Fitch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really understood why people rate Ralph Lauren clothes so highly. The majority of their stuff (at least their mens stuff) is horribly cut and isn't particularly good quality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Mart F wrote: »
    Never really understood why people rate Ralph Lauren clothes so highly. The majority of their stuff (at least their mens stuff) is horribly cut and isn't particularly good quality.

The clothing is actually, of really good quality, he originally, and still does, designed for the preppy market of America, hence how he started out at Brooks Brothers.

The 'normal' market decided they liked it and wore it. Was never advertised to them, was never even placed in areas they would go.

It was never for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i know the history of Ralph himself and the label but i've just never found any of it to be that good quality and a lot of it is cut terribly or, at least, cut for fat Americans.

I've never seen anyone look good in one of their famed Polo shirts, for example, as they're very weirdly sized and the whole side-slit with the longer back just doesn't work. The izod material they use on their pique Polo shirts is dreadful quality too.

I don't think i could wear Lacoste nowadays since the brand has been completely scallyised in this country but the izod quality on their pique polo shirts is of a much higher quality than that of the Ralph Lauren ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mart F wrote: »
    Yeah, i know the history of Ralph himself and the label but i've just never found any of it to be that good quality and a lot of it is cut terribly or, at least, cut for fat Americans.

I've never seen anyone look good in one of their famed Polo shirts, for example, as they're very weirdly sized and the whole side-slit with the longer back just doesn't work. The izod material they use on their pique Polo shirts is dreadful quality too.

I don't think i could wear Lacoste nowadays since the brand has been completely scallyised in this country but the izod quality on their pique polo shirts is of a much higher quality than that of the Ralph Lauren ones.

I beg to differ,

but we'll get get nowhere. Different opinions.

Totally agree about Lacoste however, quite sad to see, I still wear the polos and polo dresses when holidaying in America.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a student so it's all normal brands for me though I did by a V. Westwood dress for the end of year ball.

I always have an image in my head of what I want and then I just look around shops until I find it. I've been quite lucky as I usually find something that pretty close to the mark. I don't have enough time to make my own stuff.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It depends really. Sometimes I wear normal brands but I do buy some designer brands in Debenhams, particularly John Rocha and Jasper Conran. I love their clothes best! As for the expensive brands like Ralph Lauren or Prada, I only dream of wearing them! I was at a school leavers ball a few weeks ago and when I was shopping for my dress I dreamed of wearing an expensive evening dress by someone like Julien McDonald but I couldn't afford one! Still, I found one in Debenhams (non-designer) and it was perfect. One day I'll buy all designer clothes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It depends really. Sometimes I wear normal brands but I do buy some designer brands in Debenhams, particularly John Rocha and Jasper Conran. I love their clothes best! As for the expensive brands like Ralph Lauren or Prada, I only dream of wearing them! I was at a school leavers ball a few weeks ago and when I was shopping for my dress I dreamed of wearing an expensive evening dress by someone like Julien McDonald but I couldn't afford one! Still, I found one in Debenhams (non-designer) and it was perfect. One day I'll buy all designer clothes!

I would recommend looking in somehwere like TkMaxx, the prices are relatively low, and the clothing is designer = very good quality.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly I wear clothes from River Island or TopShop, but sometimes I'll complement them with something from Marc Jacobs, Hilfiger, Nanette Lepore, Ralph Lauren etc. Marc by Marc Jacobs is my favourite at the moment :D

Well saved student loans do the trick :D :eek:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I would recommend looking in somehwere like TkMaxx, the prices are relatively low, and the clothing is designer = very good quality.

I might do that when I have time, who knows what I might find there! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might do that when I have time, who knows what I might find there! :cool:

It's all jumbled and messy, but sometimes when I'm in the mood, I go and raid it all, otherwise I just hit House of Fraser and Flannels!

I went on Friday and a pair of DKNY chino-type jeans for £24.99 and a 100% cashmere sweater for £29.99, bargains if you ask me!

x x x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I beg to differ,

but we'll get get nowhere. Different opinions.

Totally agree about Lacoste however, quite sad to see, I still wear the polos and polo dresses when holidaying in America.

Ralph Lauren Polos come in either custom or classic fit, custom fit clings is less generously cut and a tighter fit (it usually has the oversized horse logo on it). Classic fit is the standard type you can buy. I wont wear classic fit polo's, I find the cut to be horrible, the longer back bit is unflattering and generally, I find it too tight at the top and too loose at the bottom, probably to accomodate large stomachs.

I have a vintage Lacoste cardigan, that is well, very 80s, but it is beautifully made and cost £5.00 on US ebay (vintage stuff on there is about 1000 times better than on the UK one).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get most of my clothes from shops like Newlook, Primark, H&M, Peacocks. If ive got birthday money ill have a look in G-star, River Island, Top Girl, Zara.
    And the few times ive needed a Prom dress ive got it from either TKMaxx or Monsoon

at school we dont have a uniform and it really annoys me when you get people who will say ooo, wheres your top from im sure ive saw someone wearing that? then i'll reply Primark and then theyll reply oo yeah it looks like it comes from there, by the way do you like my new Apple Bottom Jeans? it gets me so mad!!
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angell1995 wrote: »
    i get most of my clothes from shops like Newlook, Primark, H&M, Peacocks. If ive got birthday money ill have a look in G-star, River Island, Top Girl, Zara.
    And the few times ive needed a Prom dress ive got it from either TKMaxx or Monsoon

at school we dont have a uniform and it really annoys me when you get people who will say ooo, wheres your top from im sure ive saw someone wearing that? then i'll reply Primark and then theyll reply oo yeah it looks like it comes from there, by the way do you like my new Apple Bottom Jeans? it gets me so mad!!

Don't get mad - just feel sorry for them. And remember, "no-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" (Eleanor Roosevelt). :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have one Lacoste polo. I'd probably never buy from there again now - I think I've worn it once this year. I get most wear out of it in America.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snikpoh wrote: »
    And remember, "no-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" (Eleanor Roosevelt). :)

Amen! *bows* I live by that these days!

Anyhow...

I have no preference when it comes to clothes. I've only just started buying stuff again (cos it's winter and I'll die without jumpers etc) but I've always had this thing, if I like something, I'll get it but I'd never spend, say, more than £20 on a top, or £30 on a pair of jeans. I know that sounds like a pittance to some people, but it certainly isn't to me. So I'm very High Street, New Look & especially Peacocks, every day stuff in there is bargainous.

I can't believe I'm going to admit to never having shopped in Primark. I've been into 2 stores and never had the chance to delve, but I'm determined to be able to rave about it like everyone else and one day, I'm gonna work out what £100 can get you there! I do love a bargain! :D

Designer clothes are a nice idea, but then you're only wearing a name and personally find it ridiculous that you pay hundreds of pounds for a staple item just to say "Oh, this is Gucci" or whatever. Fair enough to the people that have the money to do it but I never have had and could never justify it either. I own a Calvin Klein t-shirt... does that count? Didn't even pay for that, was given to me... probs counterfeit but I don't have to care!
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angell1995 wrote: »
    ... then i'll reply Primark and then theyll reply oo yeah it looks like it comes from there, by the way do you like my new Apple Bottom Jeans? it gets me so mad!!

So that's what Flo Rida's banging on about in his hit single Low! I couldn't understand what he was saying as I'd never heard of this brand before but you've kindly confirmed the lyrics for me.:)

Sorry that's a little O/T.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha;) i only realised that they actually exsisted when someone told me about theirs a few weeks ago:P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll happily admit my wardrobe isn't highly designer. There's one or two things I picked up in Charity shops. I got aa gorgeous Donna Karen cardigan for a mere £4.50 in Oxfan and a pair of Miss Sixty jeans for some ridiculous amount. I buy stuff if I like it and I don't see the point in buying a T-shirt that I only plan on wearing under something for a ridiculous amount when you can buy 2 for £10 in Topshop or similar. I did get a Jane Norman coat in the sale in May for this Winter's coat. I'll buy John Rocha from Debenhams but most of my stuff is New Look, Primark, Topshop or Bay Trading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xVictoriax wrote: »
    I'll happily admit my wardrobe isn't highly designer. There's one or two things I picked up in Charity shops. I got aa gorgeous Donna Karen cardigan for a mere £4.50 in Oxfan and a pair of Miss Sixty jeans for some ridiculous amount. I buy stuff if I like it and I don't see the point in buying a T-shirt that I only plan on wearing under something for a ridiculous amount when you can buy 2 for £10 in Topshop or similar. I did get a Jane Norman coat in the sale in May for this Winter's coat. I'll buy John Rocha from Debenhams but most of my stuff is New Look, Primark, Topshop or Bay Trading.

£4.50?! Such a steal! I can never do that in charity shops, I just get nowhere. I get tired of looking through, and I get stares, I prefer vintage stores because they sort of 'hand pick; it if you know what I mean. I'm better at books in charity shops instead, I bought literally all the classics (Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Thakeray etc etc) for about £40 :)
  • Options
    LA SiddiqueLA Siddique Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Mix and match. Often will wear a classic designer item with carefully selected cheaper high street store items to compliment the outfit.

Surprisingly, it tends to be the cheaper item that receives all the compliments and surprise that it isn't designer! Odd but true.

A few good designer outfits (ie coat, shirt, trousers, dress, jumper) in your wardrobe and you can't go wrong.

Shoes mostly designer, favour Roland Cartier and Prada.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to get FCUK and Miss Sixty jeans before having kids. Now i stick to Jane Norman and Oasis.

my hubby still wears Gap, Firetrap, Levis and FCUK.