why can't people differentiate between a preference and an assumption

NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There are dozens of posts bemoaning the warning Jemima got and her statement that she was attracted to certain types of men that were not black and I agree a preference is in no way racist BUT nobody seems to mention the actual issue that is that she made an assumption that Gina would not date white men and can anyone actually tell me how she could have made that assumption? Gina did not state her preference at all and IMO the o ly way she could make such an assumption is based on Gina's skin colour and surprise, surprise assumptions like that are racist.

If anyone can tell me how Jemima made that assumption not based on skin colour, I would love to hear it.

Comments

• ZuttoZutto Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, that assumption was probably the main thing that got Jemima into trouble (Gina was calling her racist prior to it, though). All I'll say is that I don't think she necessarily really meant it, Jemima almost certainly isn't racist and probably wouldn't have said that to Gina if she hadn't been under attack and searching for something to say to justify herself. It was a bad thing to say but it seemed like really she was trying to diffuse the situation but got it wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you are right, but there is no one on earth so unwilling to listen to reason as someone on a 'PC gorn mad' rant.
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you are right, but there is no one on earth so unwilling to listen to reason as someone on a 'PC gorn mad' rant.

I know I can't believe how people have jumped onto who I am attracted to bandwagon when that's not what I believe it to be about at all.If I turned to a man, who turned out to be gay, and said you wouldn't go out with man.. It could be construed homophobic. The reason Jemkma was warned had nothing to do with her sexual preferences and everything to do wither assumption that a black girl would not date white men.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natgar wrote: »
    There are dozens of posts bemoaning the warning Jemima got and her statement that she was attracted to certain types of men that were not black and I agree a preference is in no way racist BUT nobody seems to mention the actual issue that is that she made an assumption that Gina would not date white men and can anyone actually tell me how she could have made that assumption? Gina did not state her preference at all and IMO the o ly way she could make such an assumption is based on Gina's skin colour and surprise, surprise assumptions like that are racist.

If anyone can tell me how Jemima made that assumption not based on skin colour, I would love to hear it.

It's an issue, but how is it "the actual issue" when Gina was talking about racism before that and when BB warned Jemima about something earlier too?

Anyway, just so it's clear, what Jemima saud was "you probably wouldn’t go for a white guy.” (source)
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    It's an issue, but how is it "the actual issue" when Gina was talking about racism before that and when BB warned Jemima about something earlier too?

Anyway, just so it's clear, what Jemima saud was "you probably wouldn’t go for a white guy.” (source)

But why would she Say that.. Gina probably would not go wont with a white guy? what did she base that on?
  • Scout66Scout66 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    Nuance is often lost on the internets and in reality shows. Besides I daresay a little bit of projection is going on.
  • Truth TellerTruth Teller Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    That is the sad thing about the forum tonight - many are missing the point about what people may construe as offensive and BB were being sensitive to that.

Jemima's assumption was the offensive part and her repeating 3 times about not dating somone based on the colour of their skin esp. to someone who wasn't white; someone she had taken an instant dislike to; made sure to make them feel isolated; bitched behind their backs and made quite a few nasty comments and then decides to assume who they would date based on colour and tell them that.......hmmm.:(
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As said previously - BB has been running scared since the Jade Goody/ Shilpa Shetty fracas.......

Gina jumped on Jemima's 'ill - thought - out' comments - used them to her advantage & played the racist card !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    That is the sad thing about the forum tonight - many are missing the point about what people may construe as offensive and BB were being sensitive to that.

Jemima's assumption was the offensive part and her repeating 3 times about not dating somone based on the colour of their skin esp. to someone who wasn't white; someone she had taken an instant dislike to; made sure to make them feel isolated; bitched behind their backs and made quite a few nasty comments and then decides to assume who they would date based on colour and tell them that.......hmmm.:(

This:rolleyes:

Jemima has, by her own admission, few criteria on her dating preferences ie anyone over 18 permissable, yet she felt the need to reiterate x3 that this excluded black men.

She just seems a very desperate woman who wants a young man on her arm to justify her still wearing her hair in pigtails.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well if what caused the offence and the warning happened after gina called j a racist

then why wasn't gina given a warning because at the point she slandered jemima, jemima hadn't caused any offence
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    well if what caused the offence and the warning happened after gina called j a racist

then why wasn't gina given a warning because at the point she slandered jemima, jemima hadn't caused any offence

Good point!

I cannot imagine what being called a 'Racist' on National TV must feel like.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    More to the point, why can't more people understand the (straightforward in my view) definition of racism:

racism

noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

I suspect the vast majority are capable of understanding it but it suits the agenda of some to extend (distort) the definition...sometimes to an absurd degree.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your point would be valid if Gina hadn't made it into a race issue before that comment was made.

I'm the first to say that one comment by Jem was not particularly well thought out, but I'm not sure I'm buying Gina being offended. (I understand that other people may be, therefore BBs warning is fine). All in all I don't think Jem is a card carrying member of the EDL. ;)
  • dash234dash234 Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gina called Jem a racist BEFORE Jem made the comment about her not dating white men. She clearly is the one who has issues, not Jem. That's why a lot of people are riled up.

Assuming that Gina doesn't date white guys is a little ignorant, but not something to make into a big friggen deal.

BB is ridiculous for playing Gina's game. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

The 'actual issue' wasn't that at all, because it wasn't the reason Gina brought up the discussion with Jemima and it wasn't the reason she was given a dressing down by Big Brother.

I agree the remark she said about Gina only going for white men was ignorant and insensitive and a very silly thing to say but I do think racism is all about intent and I don't believe that was the motivation for saying that. Jemima is not the most articulate of ladies and tbh I think that's where most of the controversy has stemmed from.