Would Cyclists be safer riding on pavements?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
Forum Member
✭✭
I know in the UK you can't ride bikes on the pavements but Its safer for everyone in my opinion, Is it really a big deal anyway, as long as the bicycle rider has eyes and their breaks are working, they have the power to stop or slow down for pedestrians, to be honest If I cycled I'd rather feel safer on the pavements than on a busy road,

They are more likely to be in accidents on the road than on the pavements, it should be a choice,

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cyclist wouldn't be safer than on the road, they would be less safe. I don't know why you think their brakes are so efficient, the BS isn't that onerous.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meanwhile, in the REST OF UTOPIA .....
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be safer for pedestrians.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin was KILLED because some ignorant **** decided to cycle on the pavement, she walked out of her front gate straight into into his path and hit her head on the pavement. The Cyclist did not stop and was never caught, she was on her way to pick up her child from school, that child has grown up without a Mum.

I agree with Cycle paths if Cyclists are too scared to use the road, or they can bleddy well walk
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I know in the UK you can't ride bikes on the pavements but Its safer for everyone in my opinion, Is it really a big deal anyway, as long as the bicycle rider has eyes and their breaks are working, they have the power to stop or slow down for pedestrians, to be honest If I cycled I'd rather feel safer on the pavements than on a busy road,

They are more likely to be in accidents on the road than on the pavements, it should be a choice,

Well the Home Office don't seem to think it is a big deal. In guidance issued at the same that fixed penalty notices were introduced for pavement cycling, it stated.
    “The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users.

"Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10577958/Let-cyclists-go-on-pavements-if-roads-are-dangerous-minister-tells-police.html
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they have to 'stop' and 'slow down' for pavement walkers on the pavement, unless the pavements walkers start to walk at the same speed as a Cyclist riding on a bike, why wouldn't the cyclist just be a pavement walker?
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean they aren't allowed to ??? :confused:
    Somebody should tell the idiots that charge down them then.
    I cycle occasionally but i am fed up of the way that everything cycling related is everybody else's fault the same way that everything accident related to motorcyclists is everybody else's fault.

NEWSFLASH

This country has a hell of a lot of stupid mindless idiotic cyclists both human and engine powered who think rules do not apply to them.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    flower 2 wrote: »
    If they have to 'stop' and 'slow down' for pavement walkers on the pavement, unless the pavements walkers start to walk at the same speed as a Cyclist riding on a bike, why wouldn't the cyclist just be a pavement walker?

It just needs to be done with discretion when conditions are suitable, which in many places they often are.

I do it all the time when with my daughter on busy roads with un-occupied pavements, never had a complaint from any policeman, PCSO or pedestrian - because we ride with consideration for others and always give pedestrians right of way.

However, fast cyclists - the lycra brigade - need to stay on the roads (even cycle tracks can be inadequate for them when at high speed).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, it would just mean they would have to act with due care and consideration around vulnerable pavement users just like cyclists expect of drivers on the roads.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    No, it would just mean they would have to act with due care and consideration around vulnerable pavement users just like cyclists expect of drivers on the roads.

Would they have to take a test and apply for a licence and insurance?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I spend about 1-2 months in The Netherlands each year. Cyclists tend to get their own lane on the outside of parking spaces for cars, or they get their own lane on the pavements. There are many more one-way streets as well to make room for other road users.

Cyclists can get quite vocal with pedestrians if they stray into the cycle lane. I believe that's the only time I've heard a Dutch person swear so far...
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is that cyclists don't seem to be able to distinguish between busy roads and quiet roads and cycle on the pavement regardless.
    Dave
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they were travelling at walking pace they would risk being accosted by someone telling them that they're not allowed to cycle on the the path.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any vehicle with wheels attached to it and capable of going at a reasonable speed needs to be on a ROAD. There are a number of cyclists (you know the ones - the fashion victims with all the 'gear' who cycle like they are competing in the Tour De France) who will be positively dangerous to pedestrians on the pavements as they are to other road users on the road. There are a growing number of cycle paths built with Lottery Monies for cyclists to use. Even with good brakes it takes distance to stop a bike, just as with a car.

So, in summary, I think it is a ridiculous idea and very unsafe for pedestrians, particularly the old or infirm.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Any vehicle with wheels attached to it and capable of going at a reasonable speed".

Oh you mean like the mobility scooters driven by the old or infirmed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    "Any vehicle with wheels attached to it and capable of going at a reasonable speed".

Oh you mean like the mobility scooters driven by the old or infirmed.

Yes - because those people who drive them are as bad often as the 'tour De France' cyclists.:D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving home tonight on a road with a dedicated cycle lane and noticed someone cycling outside of it! Maybe if they stayed in the cycle lane, they might not need to go on the paths?
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Ride on the pavement? No chance - it's not safe, and all those peds & street furniture get in the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would they have to take a test and apply for a licence and insurance?

I wouldn't go as far as a full driving test and licence, but I can see merits in a CBT for cyclists perhaps in conjunction with the bikeability scheme. I'm also ambivalent on insurance, if a cyclist wants to take the risk of a huge personal injury claim against them so be it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving home tonight on a road with a dedicated cycle lane and noticed someone cycling outside of it! Maybe if they stayed in the cycle lane, they might not need to go on the paths?

It's called IGNORANCE.:D
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyclists over eighteen should be BANNED from riding on pavements, and should be TAXED, at an appropriate level, as road users!
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    It's called IGNORANCE.:D

Or maybe stupidity? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe stupidity? :D

Probably both!!:D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Baitey thread is baitey.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wouldn't be room on our pavements for cycling. Its hard enough trying to walk along them without stupid people suddenly stopping in front of you, or walking 3 aside too busy blethering they don't realize/care you want past. You then have to pass them by walking on the road. Hey maybe cyclists on pavements would be a great idea. It could be like playing skittles. :D Sorry very crass! :(