Options

Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Peaches suffered a great loss early in her life and it affected her for many years.

It is so sad that a young woman of 25 is dead - leaving behind two very young sons. I know her family are 'beyond pain' - their agony must be terrible.

I want to send condolences to her family and I hope Peaches is now resting peacefully back with her Mum.

RIP
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24/7 wrote: »
    I very rarely give the death of celebrities anything more than an oh dear, but I am truly very sad to have heard this.

Whatever she has done in the past, she was an amazing mum and obviously adored her two little boys, and it is heartbreaking they will now grow up without her love and support. The thought of how they must be feeling today is unimaginable.

That's what saddens me. She wanted to give them the stability and support that she didn't have. That's why I don't think she would have deliberately left them. It's more likely that she died from natural causes.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the speculation taking place on the news channels. It will happen here and on twitter.. that's to be expected and perhaps natural. But it shouldn't be happening on news channels. Comments such as "She was thin so it's perhaps no surprise" and heavy hinting that because of a photo she posted it must be suicide. It wasn't pleasant really. People tune into the news to hear the news not to hear some random person who works in the media calling in and making statements about her weight and cause of death.

this comment annoyed me so much & wasn't necessary at all. totally agree that we turn to news channels for news and not speculation.

RIP Peaches. i feel so sorry for your poor boys, husband and family.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    People can, though, keep that sadness within themselves without feeling the need to express it with one eye on getting publicity from having their names mentioned in the tribute stories.

Look at the names featured in the BBC News Online article:

What sort of connection did the likes of Martin McGuinness, Sam Bailey, Rizzle Kicks, the members of Girls Aloud, Holly and Philip and particularly Lionel Blair have with Peaches Geldof in the first place?

Why would they need a connection to her? I presume most of those were tweets, the media likes to call it 'paying tribute', but they're really doing nothing different to what we are doing, ie, talking about current news stories. Of course it is also possible some of them may have known her too. Regardless, they can express their sympathies if they wish, just like Joe public can, I don't see the big issue.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what saddens me. She wanted to give them the stability and support that she didn't have. That's why I don't think she would have deliberately left them. It's more likely that she died from natural causes.

If it does turn out to be suicide then a person who does that isn't thinking rationally. Not like a normal person would, anyway. They just want to end whatever pain they're in.
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really shocked when I heard the news, I didn't believe it at first.

I wasn't her biggest fan when she was growing up but recently in the news I saw her to be a mature and a person who wasn't shy of speaking her mind, also a brilliant mother. I wonder whether it was an unknown medical issue. She might of had medical problems that weren't made public which caused it.

So sad for someone so young. Her poor sons not knowing their mother and for her family, the pain words can't describe.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    24/7 wrote: »
    I very rarely give the death of celebrities anything more than an oh dear, but I am truly very sad to have heard this.
    Whatever she has done in the past, she was an amazing mum and obviously adored her two little boys, and it is heartbreaking they will now grow up without her love and support. The thought of how they must be feeling today is unimaginable.

Yes, same here. I think it's a combination of being aware of her existence since she was born, knowing what pain she, her father and sisters had already endured in their lives before this, and the fact that she was a young, loving wife and mother, who wanted to give her sons a different upbringing to the one she experienced - all adds to the sadness of her passing.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can, though, keep that sadness within themselves without feeling the need to express it with one eye on getting publicity from having their names mentioned in the tribute stories.

What sort of connection did the likes of Martin McGuinness, Sam Bailey, Rizzle Kicks, the members of Girls Aloud, Holly and Philip and particularly Lionel Blair have with Peaches Geldof in the first place?

But a lot of people did know Bob Geldof and have had media and other dealings with him over the years. It's normal for people to want to express condolance when something tragic happens to someone they know and/or have come into contact with either professionally or personally. Her death is shocking, no one needs to have known Peaches Geldof for that to still be a fact or to feel sadness and empathy for the family she's left behind.

Sure, there'll be a handful of people who never gave her a second thought until now but it's not a stretch to acknowledge that for the majority, they too - like 90% of the posters on here - just find it shocking, unexpected, really sad and are expressing that.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Regardless, they can express their sympathies if they wish...

Indeed, and I'm sure they'll express the same sympathies for the next mother of two to sadly pass away as well.
    ...just like Joe public can, I don't see the big issue.

The difference is that Joe Public is not doing so to generate publicity for themselves either off their own back or under instruction from their agents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, and I'm sure they'll express the same sympathies for the next mother of two to sadly pass away as well.

The difference is that Joe Public is not doing so to generate publicity for themselves either off their own back or under instruction from their agents.

You mean like the public do? Celebrity deaths will always garner more headline space and generally, public interest.

You don't know they are doing it for publicity, they are people too and may want to express their sympathy. I find your comment that their agents would instruct them to tweet about it for publicity frankly, laughable.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't know they are doing it for publicity, they are people too and may want to express their sympathy. I find your comment that their agents would instruct them to tweet about it for publicity frankly, laughable.

Sam Bailey.
    Girls Aloud.
    Rizzle Kicks.
    Lionel Blair.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did they need to have a connection with her? Surely expressing sadness at a death and sympathy for the family is perfectly normal (look at how many people have done the same on here), and twitter is one of the biggest social networking sites, so I'd expect to see people commenting on there.
  • Options
    PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people want to pay their respects why should it matter to those who aren't interested? Get a grip of yourselves!
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    And what exactly is the script?

You tell me. Even my posts saying how much better looking she had gone in her later years have been deleted. I guess it's just safe "RIPs" and "What a tragedeh, those poor babehs!" that are meant for this thread.
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So desperately sad and even more so because every picture I ever saw of her and her babies, the babies looked so happy and content and she appeared to blossom in motherhood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    You tell me. Even my posts saying how much better looking she had gone in her later years have been deleted. I guess it's just safe "RIPs" and "What a tragedeh, those poor babehs!" that are meant for this thread.

I wasn't here, but maybe they were linked to arguments? I've had posts removed if I quoted someone who was banned before, or if I was arguing with them. Still, of course people will mention her kids, it is quite sad and tragic, but I don't pepper my speech with h's. I certainly don't follow any kind of script here and always post what I think.
  • Options
    soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if she was culturally significant for what so e might say (and cheap comedians might joke) for the wrong reasons, Peaches WAS culturally significant. RIP
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it does turn out to be suicide then a person who does that isn't thinking rationally. Not like a normal person would, anyway. They just want to end whatever pain they're in.

Absolutely spot on, sadly.

I wonder if she could have suffered with PND? She did have 2 babies in very quick succession.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely spot on, sadly.

I wonder if she could have suffered with PND? She did have 2 babies in very quick succession.

I don't think she did have PND, or at least, she didn't seem to in my opinion. I saw an interview with her talking about how one of her children had a problem, so she initially wasn't able to hold him, which she found really frustrating. She seemed quite gushing and eager to be a mum to me, but maybe I am wrong. I would say she had general depression though, I don't think she was happy with her public image for a long time and of course, her mum dying when she was young will have had a dramatic effect on her as well.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would her looks have anything to do with this thread? If I remember you used the words puppy fat. How is that contributing to the thread?

What did you say on 9/11? Sad to think of all those good looking women that died?
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think some perfectly reasonable posts (which yours was) just got lost in one of the culls. It often happens, don't take it personally. :)
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't speak for all of them but as I understand it, Holly and Phillip worked with her on their morning programme a few times. Maybe some of the others did actually know her.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she did have PND, or at least, she didn't seem to in my opinion. I saw an interview with her talking about how one of her children had a problem, so she initially wasn't able to hold him, which she found really frustrating. She seemed quite gushing and eager to be a mum to me, but maybe I am wrong. I would say she had general depression though, I don't think she was happy with her public image for a long time and of course, her mum dying when she was young will have had a dramatic effect on her as well.

So can some women with PND.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I do think it is tough for celebs these days. If they are prolific tweeters, it would be a decision that you would have to make. Should I tweet about this or not? If not, I might look like an uncaring twit - if I do, it might look inappropriate.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair she has been on This Morning on a number of occassions so Holly and Phillip did know her.