Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't that used to start at 5.30, with Morning Report being half an hour as well?

Yes they have cut overnight staff so Morning Reports is now 15 minutes Monday - Friday (instead of 7 days a week) and Wake Up To Money is on 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Yes they have cut overnight staff so Morning Reports is now 15 minutes Monday - Friday (instead of 7 days a week) and Wake Up To Money is on 45 minutes.
    And to think when 5 Live first started back in 1994 Morning Reports was 45 minutes long (5-5.45am) with Wake Up To Money being 15 minutes in length (5.45-6am). I wish they would put Morning Reports back to half an hour, WUTM has suffered since it was extended to 45 minutes while Morning Reports just never gets going anymore. It's basically over before its properly started.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    using funds forced out of the hungry mouths of the British for fear of a criminal record.

A disgrace.
    Please don't get too over dramatic. Oh, you already have.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    licence fee payers are being ripped off because the BBC sees itself as an international broadcaster primarily and a national one very secondary, using funds forced out of the hungry mouths of the British for fear of a criminal record.

A disgrace.

Oh dear. Not sure if that is the funniest thing or the saddest thing I have read on this thread.
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Oh dear. Not sure if that is the funniest thing or the saddest thing I have read on this thread.

It's the bloody truth though.

(You another on the Crapita pay roll Radiogram? :D )
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The World Service was until the last Charter renewal funded by the Foreign Office rather the licence fee. However the Tories forced the BBC to take over funding of the World Service and Welsh language S4c and accept a frozen licence fee despite these extra responsibilities plus the expense of broadband rollout. I agree the licence fee shouldn't be funding overseas broadcasting but this wasn't the BBCs decision.

iPlayer is blocked overseas and BBC online has adverts when viewed from outside the UK

It might be blocked, but proxy servers are very useful for ensuring access.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

Why so? Sounds at the least plausible.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    NC on annoying form this morning, banging on about what it means to be British. Multiple questions/statement, talking over people, smarta**d comments. Finally had to turn over when he made a crack about the shadow Education Secretary's comments on Goves's statement by saying "British is being bitten on the bum and then saying sorry" or words to that effect.

It's a serious subject, especially in the context of what is happening in Birmingham, and is not something to be treated so trivially. Light hearted is ok in it's place, but that was not an item that deserved that treatment
  • Options
    AxolotlAxolotl Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    What's going on?? Adebayo on a Monday?? Lots of repeated stuff from Bacon, et al?? Where's Rhod?? AWFUL!!!!!! :o:o:o
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axolotl wrote: »
    What's going on?? Adebayo on a Monday?? Lots of repeated stuff from Bacon, et al?? Where's Rhod?? AWFUL!!!!!! :o:o:o
    Rhod must be on a two weeks break as he doesn't seem to be scheduled to host Up All Night either this week or next week.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Rhod must be on a two weeks break as he doesn't seem to be scheduled to host Up All Night either this week or next week.

Might be worth a listen then.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axolotl wrote: »

Rhod as gone on a walking holiday somewhere in America, should be back in a couple of weeks unless he gets eaten by a bear or something.....:)
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the bloody truth though.

(You another on the Crapita pay roll Radiogram? :D )

Watched Channel 4 despaches last night about people not able to feed kids and one bill the guy couldn't pay was the TV license.:)

The BBC as took the license fee payer as a cash cow over the decades, always easier to spend other peoples money...Or in the BBC case waste and spend.>:(
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuned in to Queen Vic at 9.59am this morning to hear her proclaim some very sad news. I thought the real Queen (Liz) had died or something. But no, it was some alcoholic doctor woman who was a friend to us all. News to me, for sure. I switched over to LBC at 10.00am.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Tuned in to Queen Vic at 9.59am this morning to hear her proclaim some very sad news. I thought the real Queen (Liz) had died or something. But no, it was some alcoholic doctor woman who was a friend to us all. News to me, for sure. I switched over to LBC at 10.00am.

I gather virtually the whole 2 hours was devoted to this lady who had died from being unable to stop drinking . From the hushed tones she seemed to be some kind of heroine to VD !

As I can't stand James O'Brien I swiched over to Classic fm .
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,490
    Forum Member
    I guess those who aren't fans of Nolan will be delighted he won't be on for a couple of weeks due to the World Cup coverage?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I guess those who aren't fans of Nolan will be delighted he won't be on for a couple of weeks due to the World Cup coverage?

And there's also the golf on 5 live sports extra - Bubba instead of blubber.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,093
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    I gather virtually the whole 2 hours was devoted to this lady who had died from being unable to stop drinking . From the hushed tones she seemed to be some kind of heroine to VD !

As I can't stand James O'Brien I swiched over to Classic fm .

VD is just trying to get together her next Sony award entry. Totally cynical broadcasting, and extremely tedious as well. Let the woman's family grieve in piece and report on real news, like the chaos in Iraq and Karachi, and the schools scandal in Birmingham.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    VD is just trying to get together her next Sony award entry. Totally cynical broadcasting, and extremely tedious as well. Let the woman's family grieve in piece and report on real news, like the chaos in Iraq and Karachi, and the schools scandal in Birmingham.

Cynical and exploitative radio at its worst.

A whole two hours of her morning show devoted to the alcoholic doctor who had passed away ??

They even played a clip at the end of Drive with Derbyshire using her best sanctimonious voice.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »

I heard the introduction about how important she was to all of us, had changed lives and they were going to pay tribute to her so switched over. Bit over the top for an alcoholic GP who had died in her sleep after drinking too much.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard the introduction about how important she was to all of us, had changed lives and they were going to pay tribute to her so switched over. Bit over the top for an alcoholic GP who had died in her sleep after drinking too much.

I guess this was the same woman she got her Fony award for in the first place?? ...:blush:

how very strange.....

maybe they should give such tributes to soldiers in Afghanistan returning in a box instead who may well have changed lives.....

somehow I don't think this woman has changed many lives - I don't know why she should get such coverage.....sympathies to her family of course..... it's sad but not national news :confused:

headline on DS tonight is 65 roles in BBC radio to change.....

the proposed move is part of an ongoing plan to reduce the BBC Radio division headcount by around 15% between 2012 and 2017 - around 200 roles - from 1,300 to 1,100.

the reorganisation will affect staffing and structures across Radios 1, 2, 3, 4, 1Xtra, 6Music, Radio 4 Extra and the Asian Network.

what??? :confused: nothing changes in 5live? :confused:

looks like we're stuck with what we've got then..... :blush:
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by streaky-bacon

I
    heard the introduction about how important she was to all of us, had changed lives and they were going to pay tribute to her so switched over. Bit over the top for an alcoholic GP who had died in her sleep after drinking too much.
    I guess this was the same woman she got her Fony award for in the first place?? ...

how very strange.....

maybe they should give such tributes to soldiers in Afghanistan returning in a box instead who may well have changed lives.....

somehow I don't think this woman has changed many lives - I don't know why she should get such coverage.....sympathies to her family of course..... it's sad but not national news

I quite agree with all of the above, what strange priorities VD & her production team have got !
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another manifestation of vicarious grieving that started with Diana and is symptomatic of so much of society and social media today. Manipulated as cynically as we'd expect by VD. A quick flick through her twitter account just confirms this .

Thought I heard the deceased lady's counsellor refer to her as 'Claire'.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sheila Fogerty's prog must suffer from the 10am massed switch over from Five's Derbyshire Misery. I may be wrong however Lbc is being mentioned more and more in Essex.
    Though some on here are still adamant that Derbyshire is not losing listeners to the new national Lbc et al...
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member
    I think Sheila Fogerty's prog must suffer from the 10am massed switch over from Five's Derbyshire Misery.

There's a mass switch over at 10am is there? Of course you can quote some figures to back that up..........oh wait it'll just be your opinion based on the fact you don't like her.
This discussion has been closed.