Options

Playing Fallout 3 for the first time

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any tips you can give me? Is it like Skyrim where you're not allowed to be good at everything?

Comments

• Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can play it how you like. Some people go for Energy weapons, some for conventional firearms, others go melee.

Do you have the GOTY or getting the DLC?
    It's a bit difficult without giving anything away. If you don't mind spoilers I can be more specific.

As for tips:
    Stay away from the north east of the map at low level. You'll find out why. :D;)
    Find the named variant weapons they're more powerful than their regular counterparts.
    Do the main story up until you get power armour training then go off exploring. If you do have Operation Anchorage complete that ASAP. It helps.
    Also if you have The Pitt, I like to do that early so I get the silenced assault rifle variants.
    Don't decide the fate of Megaton too early, you may miss out on a few things.
    If you have Point Lookout, don't go there too soon, it prevents you from doing a quest.
    Be on the lookout for the bobbleheads they increase your stats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can play it how you like. Some people go for Energy weapons, some for conventional firearms, others go melee.Do you have the GOTY or getting the DLC?

I don't have the GOTY edition. I dunno if I'll get the DLC, depends on whether I like the game or not. So far I like it, it reminds me of Skyrim (unsurprising since it's by the same developer). Like Skyrim, I find it really hard. I just suck at the controls and so far I'm more successful with melee than firearms.
    It's a bit difficult without giving anything away. If you don't mind spoilers I can be more specific.

Nah, no spoilers lol!
    As for tips:
    Stay away from the north east of the map at low level. You'll find out why. :D;)
    Find the named variant weapons they're more powerful than their regular counterparts.
    Do the main story up until you get power armour training then go off exploring. If you do have Operation Anchorage complete that ASAP. It helps.
    Also if you have The Pitt, I like to do that early so I get the silenced assault rifle variants.
    Don't decide the fate of Megaton too early, you may miss out on a few things.
    If you have Point Lookout, don't go there too soon, it prevents you from doing a quest.
    Be on the lookout for the bobbleheads they increase your stats.

Thanks! Will do!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I don't have the GOTY edition. I dunno if I'll get the DLC, depends on whether I like the game or not. So far I like it, it reminds me of Skyrim (unsurprising since it's by the same developer). Like Skyrim, I find it really hard. I just suck at the controls and so far I'm more successful with melee than firearms.

Nah, no spoilers lol!

Thanks! Will do!

The VATS targeting system helps a lot - you'll be using it more than free aim. Dont try and "Find Your Dad" first, try and do the Moira supermarket mission first to get you into the swing of things without failing miserably.

As said before stay away from the north east if your at a low level - you wont survive! The gear you get from the DLC helps a lot especially from Operation Anchorage DLC. The DLCs made the game even more worthwhile imo.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tnt wrote: »
    The VATS targeting system helps a lot - you'll be using it more than free aim. Dont try and "Find Your Dad" first, try and do the Moira supermarket mission first to get you into the swing of things without failing miserably.

As said before stay away from the north east if your at a low level - you wont survive! The gear you get from the DLC helps a lot especially from Operation Anchorage DLC. The DLCs made the game even more worthwhile imo.

Thanks. I'm about to do the Moira Minefield mission. Is that in the North East? I can't tell from the map. Also, what is a 'low' level?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I'm about to do the Moira Minefield mission. Is that in the North East? I can't tell from the map. Also, what is a 'low' level?

Low XP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Minefield is more what I consider central. I used one of the houses there to store my excess gear until I got my house in Megaton.

Low level, well, I wouldn't go there til about lvl 14 and make sure you have some bottlecap/plasma mines. Frag mines won't be very effective up there :o but that depends on where you've put your skill points.
    When you have your first Holy F@@king Sh!t moment, cripple the legs. ;) you may have one of these at the Anchorage Memorial.

If you struggle you can drop the difficulty a level. It starts you off on normal and that's bang in the middle. With Skyrim I did a play through on Max difficulty and only using equipment I found. Taking on dragons with a hunting bow and iron arrows and a steel sword wearing Stormcloak armour is HARD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work on the repair skill and hoard duplicates of weapons. The better the condition, the higher the damage. Of any weapon or armour.

If I remember right, waiting heals yourself. Useful if you don't have any food or stim packs.

Some weapons do more damage out of VATS, some do more in so I've read.

Also if you're going sneaking don't have the torch on or the radio. If you're struggling in the dark, turn up the brightness.

I like going the stealthy road with small guns, there seem to be plenty of them around during lower levels. Because I like sneaking, I like to reverse pickpocket mines or grenades. Kaboom! :D Only downside is that the blast hurts your armour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best advice I can give is don't ask for advice, there is a lot of stuff you'll miss just by playing the game, some missions are only available with good karma some with bad etc but you are probably going to choose with karma you want at the start and still to making those chooses so the other stuff will require a new playthrough

Decisions you make during the game will also effect dialogue and how people response to you and what conversation options so its worth noting it'll take several playthroughs to do everything

In short there is no wrong way to play and if anyone tells you that you are playing wrong make it clear that you are playing in your own way not theirs

P.S there is some advice save often and keep a few saves slots on the go just incase the game messes up
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Been a while since i played this game, but to start off you should make your way to the big hotel thing and kill everyone there and the bloke who owns it, can't remember who owns it or the name of it (im sure somebody here will) you get lots of bottle caps and weapons as well as leveling up quite a bit.

Edit: Tenpenny Tower, just looked it up.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blow the radioactive town up.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Blow the radioactive town up.

But not before you get the bobblehead.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch your back at all times. The random attacks after the Megaton quest really annoyed me.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    A companion comes in handy, especially at lower levels. If you search around there is a crashed ufo somewhere and the weapon there really helped me out with the tougher bosses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minefield is more what I consider central. I used one of the houses there to store my excess gear until I got my house in Megaton.

Done the mission and even brought Moira a landmine. :D That evil old fukcer with the sniper is a swift one. >:(
    When you have your first Holy F@@king Sh!t moment, cripple the legs. ;) you may have one of these at the Anchorage Memorial.

Great, I'll look out for that. :D
    If you struggle you can drop the difficulty a level. It starts you off on normal and that's bang in the middle. With Skyrim I did a play through on Max difficulty and only using equipment I found. Taking on dragons with a hunting bow and iron arrows and a steel sword wearing Stormcloak armour is HARD.

I'd rather not 'cause I should be able to play on normal (which plays like a hard level). I find I run out of ammo a lot and my enemies are able to take endless damage. Lazer weapons are much more effective than other firearms though.
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Work on the repair skill and hoard duplicates of weapons. The better the condition, the higher the damage. Of any weapon or armour.

Thanks. I've been doing the complete opposite! :o But your way makes sense since going for the variety approach doesn't really work if only a handful of weapons are good.
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    A companion comes in handy, especially at lower levels. If you search around there is a crashed ufo somewhere and the weapon there really helped me out with the tougher bosses

Can't get one! The one at the supply shop in Megaton keeps telling me to piss off! lol

Any tips on how to make a lot of money? (without disrupting my good karma)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't get one! The one at the supply shop in Megaton keeps telling me to piss off! lol

There's a dog companion in a scrapyard, I forget which one but easy to look up. Makes things MUCH easier once you grab him.

Like skyrim, loot everything! IIRC most of the dungeons in Fallout 3 don't have a separate exit, so you can store all of your loot in a container at the start of the dungeon, clear dungeon and fill your pockets before heading back. Then use fast travel to get all your goodies back to base.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

The UFO is only in DLC I think....
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Also if you're going sneaking don't have the torch on or the radio.

Seriously?! I always have it on :o:blush:
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    There's a dog companion in a scrapyard, I forget which one but easy to look up. Makes things MUCH easier once you grab him.

Like skyrim, loot everything! IIRC most of the dungeons in Fallout 3 don't have a separate exit, so you can store all of your loot in a container at the start of the dungeon, clear dungeon and fill your pockets before heading back. Then use fast travel to get all your goodies back to base.

The dog is great!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My mistake, looks like the radio has no effect on sneaking, always thought it did though:

But the torch does.

Also, I think that the crashed UFO is there on normal editions, but the missions are not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The UFO is only in DLC I think....

That's mothership zeta, but there is a small ufo crashed somewhere in the wasteland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is why I like Minefield. The house immediately to you left after you fast travel there has a safe in the upstairs bedroom that you can use to store all your looted gear until you get your house or apartment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As above, Dogmeat is a good companion at low-mid level. At higher levels Fawkes is a beast. You find him in the main quest line.

As for money. Once the fate of the atom bomb is sealed you'll find yourself hounded by Talon Company mercs. They all wear Talon Combat Armour that should net you a few hundred caps a piece.
    Find Arlington Library. The Brotherhood Scribe there will give you 100 caps for each PRE WAR book you bring back.
    The Brotherhood will also pay 100 caps per Holotag.
    Riley at Riley's Rangers will give you a task to map the Capital ruins for caps and iirc they want super mutant blood samples, again 100 per.
    But, as above, just loot and sell. By the time I'd finished the game I had over 100,000 caps and nothing to spend them on.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fallout 3 is probably my favourite game of all time, and I have been into gaming for 20 or so years. It has something for everyone. I even prefer it to Skyrim because it is a more concentrated experience, I never felt aimless.

My last recent play though I just wondered off in completely the opposite direction to Megaton and spent hours surviving at the seat of my pants, great stuff. The freedom works great in this game because you don't get that feeling of needing to finish missions that's are too hard, you can just go off and come back later, there's no set rules. The mods for the PC make the game even better. Its has aged very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A show of how popular the game still is after 7 years happened the other day. Cryaotic did a 24 hour stream of F3 on Twitch and he had nearly 20,000 people watching him at one point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I tried playing this earlier after reading this thread, but my disc is scratched to heck:(.