BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    It's not as if there are no news stories to discuss.
    From what I could make out today there was the Brazil being smashed at footy story and the some people work longer hours than they are paid to story. If that does not signify a slow news day then I don't know what does. Not to be confused with there not being a lack of important issues worth discussing.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under that principle you'd be happy for Rolf Harris to broadcast on Five from his cell.
    If you think adultery is fine, dont presume everyone else does.

Don't you know that there is double standards issue going on here ?

Some like to think that there is obviously one rule for Derbyshire and one rule for others.As a 5live presenter doing past interviews she has been allowed to ask personal,sometimes embarrassing and intrusive questions when interviewing other people, as a so called ' journalist, ' and which are on occasions non of her business but anyone dare question or delve into Derbyshires private life and people really do get very worked up and upset about it

There was an interview Derbyshire gave to the journalist Miranda Sawyer of the Observer, a while back now ( which anyone can search for ) in which Sawyer tried to ask Derbyshire questions about her private life and she said Derbyshire reaction was to just give her back a really chilling glare which cut her down and Derbyshire refused to answer any such questions.

I see no problem in asking questions about any presenters background who broadcasts on tv or radio and who grill others to get their story,it may even give people more of an insight into the line of questioning and after all journo's hardly come under the heading of protected species.

How on earth ID brought the deviant Rolf Harris into this equation is quite baffling,offensive and I find extremely insulting.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    How ID brought the deviant Rolf Harris into this equation is quite baffling,offensive and I find extremely insulting.

I won't lose any sleep over that as I find many of the posts on here nasty in the extreme, small minded and the kind of thing I'd expect of a bully or someone who feels weak so needs to constantly have a dig at others in order to make them feel better (which it usually doesn't).

What you're talking about is an interview where the person concerned is being asked questions and they can speak for themself, defend themself if nessesary and choose to answer a question or not. They will have been asked if they're willing to take part in an interview and given a brief explanation about what the interview is for and when it's likely to be broadcast.

What happens here is that many posters just post unrelated and nast comments about someone who isn't here to explain their side of it if they wish. It's an obsession with some on here and it is not in one way related to that persons ability to do her job.

It's reasonable to not like a presenter because it's human nature but to constantly attack that presenter with no good reason other than a dislike of them is wrong and actually very nasty and shows how small minded some people can be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    The fact is that if Rolf Harris was on 5 Live he'd be liked more on Digital Spy than Victoria.

This wouldn't be your own small minded and nasty in the extreme comment you made then and from your own good self who constantly feels the need to have a dig at others to make you feel better ?

Bit of a faux pas there on your behalf I detect.

Still never mind eh ?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Station ID
    It doesn't matter what my morals or indeed hers are like. It only matters how she sounds on the air. That's what I care about when I turn the radio on.

Oh, yes it does.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,766
    Forum Member
    And today's phone in topic on 5live is "Do you feel sorry for Brazil". The bottom of the barrel has most definitely now been scraped and the earth beneath dug into. >:(
    . >:(

The bit I heard was just talking to more pundits about the game which would have been done last night or during the day in the sports programmes.

Was a strange one but they do tend to have a sporting phone in at least once or twice a week..

Quite frankly should anyone feel sorry for a bunch of multi-millionaires who just happened to not turn up?

I guess its the fans you might feel sympathy with but that is the risk with sport - sometimes your money and hopes will be wasted.

Of course they might have discussed current news issues before hand I suspect they cannot discuss all this child abuse stuff..
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    This wouldn't be your own small minded and nasty in the extreme comment you made then and from your own good self who constantly feels the need to have a dig at others to make you feel better ?

Bit of a faux pas there on your behalf I detect.

Still never mind eh ?

That wasn't a nasty comment directed at any individual more of an observation made in a certain way so that it would get a laugh.

It was humour but I guess that's lost on some people. Still we're all different and have different likes and dislikes. We all make different choices.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    The bit I heard was just talking to more pundits about the game which would have been done last night or during the day in the sports programmes.

Was a strange one but they do tend to have a sporting phone in at least once or twice a week..

Quite frankly should anyone feel sorry for a bunch of multi-millionaires who just happened to not turn up?

I guess its the fans you might feel sympathy with but that is the risk with sport - sometimes your money and hopes will be wasted.

Of course they might have discussed current news issues before hand I suspect they cannot discuss all this child abuse stuff..
    There's plenty of other worthwhile news stories around, not least the forthcoming EU President, Jean-Claude Juncker saying Britain can keep its powers if it stays in the EU. I would have thought that would have taken precedence over yet another football phone-in on Your Call.

But as I've said a number of times 5 Live has slowly morphed into a football station first, with news as the filler. If they want to go the whole hog and become BBC's answer to TalkSport then just do it, and stop pretending that they are a news station. No prizes for guessing what will happen when Dan Walker takes over the afternoon slot.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think adultery is fine, dont presume everyone else does.
    Who was committing adultery?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Who was committing adultery?

The clue is in the thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't a nasty comment directed at any individual more of an observation made in a certain way so that it would get a laugh.

It was humour but I guess that's lost on some people.

I really don't find references to the serious subject of a convicted paedophile as a weapon to attack critics of Derbyshire,observational or not, as amusing as you obviously do.In bad taste,insulting and stooping to an all time low yes but certainly not any where near humorous.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clue is in the thread.
    I already know the answer. You don't seem to. VD wasn't married at the time, while he was. So who was committing adultery?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    I already know the answer. You don't seem to. VD wasn't married at the time, while he was. So who was committing adultery?

If you already thought you knew the answer, then why ask?
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Sorry, but Radio 4 Extra Crap's comment comparing adultery with sexual abuse is a disgraceful comment and shows what a nasty unpleasant person he (she?) must be. How you can compare the abuse of young children against their will with the act of two consenting adults having an affair is mind-blowing. some people will stoop very low. no doubt you'll be offended at my post while still thinking it is okay to insult radio presenters over aspects of their private life which are no-ones business but the people involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really don't understand do you?

Adultery is usually a choice made by 2 adults who have free will to make whatever choices they want and it's no concern of mine.

What Rolf Harris did is different because it's illegal, sexual assault and harmfull to children. I deal with things like safeguarding as part of my work so I am fully aware of my moral, ethical and legal obligations around it.

The fact that you have compared an affair with What Rolf Harris did shows that you really have no argument other than the fact you don't like Victoria.

If the bbc and other broadcasting organisations banned presenters who had at some time done something that someone may find motaly questionable then there would be a lot of dead air.

It's not a case of me thinking adultery is ok it's a case of it being none of my (or your) business.

well said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And today's phone in topic on 5live is "Do you feel sorry for Brazil". The bottom of the barrel has most definitely now been scraped and the earth beneath dug into. >:(

Any pretence that 5live deliver anything over than moronic trivia on the alleged news station phone in has now well and truly died. It's not as if there are no news stories to discuss. >:(

must admit that even as a sportsd fan, I'm noticing a lot more of the phone-ins are being given over to sports topics. Given how much time is given over to sport at other points during the schedule, I'd rather see the breakfast phone-in be news focused wherever possible. I know there is an argument that such an amazing result is news, but it gets plenty of other coverage and there must be something else they could talk about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Sorry, but Radio 4 Extra Crap's comment comparing adultery with sexual abuse is a disgraceful comment and shows what a nasty unpleasant person he (she?) must be. How you can compare the abuse of young children against their will with the act of two consenting adults having an affair is mind-blowing. some people will stoop very low.

I was commenting on the following from Station ID:

"It doesn't matter what my morals or indeed hers are like. It only matters how she sounds on the air. That's what I care about when I turn the radio on."

My comment is about Station ID's point about only caring about sound quality -
    "Under that principle you'd be happy for Rolf Harris to broadcast on Five from his cell. If you think adultery is fine, dont presume everyone else does."

In my opinion there are other factors to be taken into consideration other than sound quality.

Reference the act of two consenting adults - you conveniently forget the third party.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was commenting on the following from Station ID:

"It doesn't matter what my morals or indeed hers are like. It only matters how she sounds on the air. That's what I care about when I turn the radio on."

My comment is about Station ID's point about only caring about sound quality -
    "Under that principle you'd be happy for Rolf Harris to broadcast on Five from his cell. If you think adultery is fine, dont presume everyone else does."

In my opinion there are other factors to be taken into consideration other than sound quality.

Reference the act of two consenting adults - you conveniently forget the third party.

but however pompous you choose to be about it (and yes, I accept that obviously there is a third party involved) nothing was done that broke the law. that is the difference. I'm in no way against presenters being criticised when they deserve it-- while not agreeing with the points made, I could understand why people felt VD's interview with the former 5Live controller was hypocritical, I just think personal attacks are out of order. Let me ask you, do you think it acceptable that one poster on this thread has refered to VD as a 'bitch' before?
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    50k ? On a slow news day, I don't expect the '' award winning presenter '' will even get that many. ;-)

Still that's a bit of a drop compared to the 6 million listeners that apparently tune into 5live. :)

If she didn't get QT, I thought at the very least she would get her own game show, something along the lines of Family Fortunes or Mr. and Mrs. :)

Or a resurrection of 'The Wheel Of Fortune' with her best buddy Campbell (does my head look big in this?) ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or a resurrection of 'The Wheel Of Fortune' with her best buddy Campbell (does my head look big in this?) ...

what... how does that make you wheel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but however pompous you choose to be about it (and yes, I accept that obviously there is a third party involved) nothing was done that broke the law. that is the difference. I'm in no way against presenters being criticised when they deserve it-- while not agreeing with the points made, I could understand why people felt VD's interview with the former 5Live controller was hypocritical, I just think personal attacks are out of order. Let me ask you, do you think it acceptable that one poster on this thread has refered to VD as a 'bitch' before?

Where am I being pompous?
    I grant you, Derbyshire should not have been referred to as a bitch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    what... how does that make you wheel?

That made me giggle :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grant you, Derbyshire should not have been referred to as a bitch.

Perhaps the individual who used the word ' bitch ' in posting was using the modern day slang as defined in the Urban Dictionary as a term of affection to a female

I understand one can now use this expression as a term of endearment to a much loved other half or a woman acquaintance by expressing their feelings in the vernacular of some gangster rapper and in spouting phrases such as...........' ' err.. yo girlfriend, would you care to be my bitch ? ''.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the individual who used the word ' bitch ' in posting was using the modern day slang as defined in the Urban Dictionary as a term of affection to a female

I understand one can now use this expression as a term of endearment to a much loved other half or a woman acquaintance by expressing their feelings in the vernacular of some gangster rapper and in spouting phrases such as...........' ' err.. yo girlfriend, would you care to be my bitch ? ''.

damnit, and there was me reading it as a term of abuse. Rodney may be many things, but a gangster he sure aint. I think you know perfectly well in what context the word was used. nice try at being amusing though, shame it failed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=
    But as I've said a number of times 5 Live has slowly morphed into a football station first, with news as the filler. If they want to go the whole hog and become BBC's answer to TalkSport then just do it, and stop pretending that they are a news station. No prizes for guessing what will happen when Dan Walker takes over the afternoon slot.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. There is no real news discussed anymore on the phone in, just trivia or it's a sport based phone in. Yesterday was the Tour De France, today Brazil v Germany, It is just pathetic. It is not as thought there aren't any proper news stories about to talk about.
This discussion has been closed.