BT Outage

13»

Comments

• ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Why is it a problem at my end? My computer's absolutely fine. I might get another Home Hub 5 if this one keeps losing a stable connection every week or so. If the same thing happens with that one, I'll get a different brand one.

Ah ok, you have the home hub 5. On this one the B only comes on if there is a problem and is off when all is well. You possibly have some kind of line problem too, same as networkbabe but I suppose it depends what colour your B light is showing.

It may just also be the home hub 5 rebooting itself all the time. Apparently they are prone to doing that. I have never even opened the box mine came in.

Sorry for the zx50/zx80 thing. I was clearly thinking of the Sinclair computer :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Ah ok, you have the home hub 5. On this one the B only comes on if there is a problem and is off when all is well. You possibly have some kind of line problem too, same as networkbabe but I suppose it depends what colour your B light is showing.

It may just also be the home hub 5 rebooting itself all the time. Apparently they are prone to doing that. I have never even opened the box mine came in.

Sorry for the zx50/zx80 thing. I was clearly thinking of the Sinclair computer :D

It showed red when it happened.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashing red means you are losing sync which would indicate a line fault.

Solid red would seem to indicate an authentication problem, which may or may not be a problem with the Home Hub.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Flashing red means you are losing sync which would indicate a line fault.

Solid red would seem to indicate an authentication problem, which may or may not be a problem with the Home Hub.

You won't have a faulty hub. Sounds like there's no PPP session set up. Possibly.

Why don't you go into the Hub settings and see if you are in sync or not.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    I would not put up with my internet service being disconnected for 3 months at a time. That's just absolutely ridiculous! BT needs to get this problem sorted out fast! Whatever the problem was here, it must have gotten worse because the 'B' on my router was showing and out of all the times that it's had problems connecting properly, it's never done that before. I checked the properties of the ethernet status when it happened and the IPv4 connectivity showed no connection whatsoever. Something must have completely disconnected or something. You'd think a wealthy company like BT would have the resources to get the best people in to fix this problem.

Sorry thats ambigously written. It being staying on the same connection (same speed) without a problem for 3 months at a time for the last year or so. Its only been disconnecting when there's been nearby lightning, or a BT man with a screwdriver seen in the neighbourhood.

For the last few days its been disconnecting multiple times a day. Many of these have been when its tried to reach youtube . It either disconnects completely, flashes up a your homehub isn't connecting message, and then reconnects straight away , or freezes, or ,with embedded videos, it freezes and presents a blank box or a box saying your homehub is disconnected where the youtube picture should be while the rest of the page still shows . The events log says its disconnecting and can't reach some external ip address. its looks like its either the hub, the exchange , or their downstream connections to youtube. It doesn't do it every youtube, and it does it on both IE and FF, so it doesn't seem to be my computers end.

When BT had the big problem twitter, and only twitter, was doing something similar. it worked and then it didn't - there were no disconnections with twitter, but it was freezing then too on just that site. i suspect this is related - but probably no one in BT India will know if it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit off-topic, but I can't understand why BT didn't have their customer service over here, especially as their broadband customers live over here.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    A bit off-topic, but I can't understand why BT didn't have their customer service over here, especially as their broadband customers live over here.

Surely that's obvious? It's a lot cheaper.
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »

And the more useless and difficult you make the service , the fewer people worry you with calls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »

At the expense of their customers not getting the help they need.
    Forum Member
    Have other people's broadband settled down post the major issue? Mine is still disconnecting, taking ages to load some pages one minute and not the next, failing to get through to some sites and some advert links within pages , repeating the inability to open twitter every now and then, and having trouble with youtube randomly. Its the same types of problems as in the local outage. I think its a failure somewhere in BT's infrastructure, but am beginning to think it may be the local exchange or my card in it - which on past experience they were hopeless at finding.
  • ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Have other people's broadband settled down post the major issue? Mine is still disconnecting, taking ages to load some pages one minute and not the next, failing to get through to some sites and some advert links within pages , repeating the inability to open twitter every now and then, and having trouble with youtube randomly. Its the same types of problems as in the local outage. I think its a failure somewhere in BT's infrastructure, but am beginning to think it may be the local exchange or my card in it - which on past experience they were hopeless at finding.
    Mines been doing the same all day, getting a little annoying now.
    Could be there is a fault somewhere/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My connection's been well behaved all day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm having trouble with BT Mail,since the switch to the new service.At present i am unable to log-in to my e-mail account.Once i have entered my user and password,it just returns to the initial BT Home page. One of the other annoying aspects since the change,is that i keep getting that annoying'Loadind Data please wait' box slowing everything down,everytime i click on a link in the BT home or webmail page.

BT have made a real mess of this change.