Cancelling Sky?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am considering cancelling Sky.

If I cancel it, could I rejoin them later using the same equipment and just have a 30 day rolling contract, or would I have to enter into another 12 month contract?

Comments

• teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the operator you speak to, but ive had friends who left sky to come back a month or so later using the original box, dish etc... to be tied back into a 12 month contract. But ive had other friends come back and again using the same original equipment, and not be tied in.
  • oogamoogam Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I am long out of my 12 month contract and I just cancelled my subscription. I got a letter from Sky saying how much they will miss me and if I want to rejoin Sky all I need to do is call. They say, "You won't even need a new contract".
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you cant cancel sky they wont let you. and if you do they will ring you back and give you it half price for 6 months or year - there no escape- your stuck with sky forever.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did cancel Sky on Tuesday evening - subject to 31 day's notice. Without going into the gory details it was clear and unequivocal that I wished to cancel. At end of call I asked if I could receive some form of confirmation of my leaving and the chap said an email and a letter would follow. I'm a tad concerned that nothing (particularly the email) has arrived...... does anybody kow if this is typical of Sky and I'm safely "cancelled" or might they conceivably deny all knowledge of our call and my instructions to cancel on Tuesday?
    I'm loathed to chase them for fear of appearing "needy" and having to listen to them trotting out various incentives to stay and their shameless slagging off of the provider I'm a moving to.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you will receive confirmation within the 31 days notice period.
    when i changed packages i received an email and a letter (the lette came around 7 days later).
    Forum Member
    I got my confirmation letter after about a week. They got me back last time because after I ignored two half price offers they tempted me with 75% off for a year AND £50 credit in my account. I'll try to be strong and resist this time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thx for responses chaps - I'll rest easy and assume it's cancelled.
    BTW.... it totally and utterly disarms them if you serenely say "it's not about the money - I just want to experience another provider's platform." They just resort to slating the other provider with frankly ludicrous claims and it's quite funny listening to their chummy and polite patter quickly dissolving into barely hidden contempt.... I swear the guy I was talking to was dying to say "Och, just 'eff off then". Only real irritant was the fact you appraently have to be put on hold for about 5 mins whilst they "sort out the switch off"... presume they think people will just give up and ring back another time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    BTW.... it totally and utterly disarms them if you serenely say "it's not about the money - I just want to experience another provider's platform." They just resort to slating the other provider with frankly ludicrous claims and it's quite funny listening to their chummy and polite patter quickly dissolving into barely hidden contempt.... I swear the guy I was talking to was dying to say "Och, just 'eff off then". Only real irritant was the fact you appraently have to be put on hold for about 5 mins whilst they "sort out the switch off"... presume they think people will just give up and ring back another time?

if you ever go to leave the platform you are moving to then you will get the exact same - this is not unique to sky, every company with a retentions dept does it.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    I left them 8 months ago and went to Humax box.I had to give 30 day notice. My system was switched of , couldnt even get a freeview signal in my sky box , so I pulled the lot out and stuck it on ebay.

I have been contacted by sky last week offering me a deal to go back complete with new equipment, but Im happy with my Humax box especially getting live footie on HD through BBC and ITV and my pocket isnt being emptied by Sky.

The so called "deal" was still £35 pm for 6 months and no HD which would have been extra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I left them 8 months ago and went to Humax box.I had to give 30 day notice. My system was switched of , couldnt even get a freeview signal in my sky box , so I pulled the lot out and stuck it on ebay.

a sky box is not capable of receiving Freeview (you only get that via an aerial).

however a sky box will receive the FTA and FTV channels without a sky sub. cancelling your sky won't stop that and they can't switch it off. if you stopped receiving those then your box must have been faulty or you were mistaken.
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    if you ever go to leave the platform you are moving to then you will get the exact same - this is not unique to sky, every company with a retentions dept does it.
    oogam wrote: »
    I got my confirmation letter after about a week. They got me back last time because after I ignored two half price offers they tempted me with 75% off for a year AND £50 credit in my account. I'll try to be strong and resist this time!
    oogam wrote: »
    I am long out of my 12 month contract and I just cancelled my subscription. I got a letter from Sky saying how much they will miss me and if I want to rejoin Sky all I need to do is call. They say, "You won't even need a new contract".
    Treble wrote: »
    I am considering cancelling Sky.

If I cancel it, could I rejoin them later using the same equipment and just have a 30 day rolling contract, or would I have to enter into another 12 month contract?

I cancelled sky nearly 20 years ago now, I have never regreted it, In fact now with FREESAT, I can see why so many people are cancelling sky, FREESAT is great and FREE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    I cancelled sky nearly 20 years ago now, I have never regreted it, In fact now with FREESAT, I can see why so many people are cancelling sky, FREESAT is great and FREE

you're like a broken record aren't you?
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »

I hate it when they slag off another provider with false information you're obviously looking to cancel otherwise you wouldn't have phoned that number.

They seem to think that people don't have a mind of their own and they have to be told which company they should be with.

It should be a case of:

"Hello I would like to cancel"

"Ok if you're sure I can process this for you or do you want me to check if we can offer you a better deal?"

then if you say no they should proceed with the cancellation...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you're like a broken record aren't you?

Hardly broken, With more and more people leaving sky and going to a new platform be it FREESAT, FTA or BT or Virgin and this thread is CANCELLING SKY:D

Look at the above post, and you can see people don't like sky's methods
    Forum Member
    I've nothing against Sky. They provide a service and people can choose whether or not to subscribe. We have tried it twice and find we still don't watch much on the subscription channels so for us it isn't worth continuing. Lots of people do find they get value for money which is fair enough. We all make our own buying choices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when they slag off another provider with false information you're obviously looking to cancel otherwise you wouldn't have phoned that number.

They seem to think that people don't have a mind of their own and they have to be told which company they should be with.

It should be a case of:

"Hello I would like to cancel"

"Ok if you're sure I can process this for you or do you want me to check if we can offer you a better deal?"

then if you say no they should proceed with the cancellation...

I know what you mean but the reality is that 90% of the callers are actually trying to prise some sort of discount out of them and don't really want to leave... S'pose there needs to be some sort of mechanism whereby people who really do want to leave can swiftly close their account without having to go through the palaver I did.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Hardly broken, With more and more people leaving sky and going to a new platform be it FREESAT, FTA or BT or Virgin and this thread is CANCELLING SKY:D
    All of these posters having a dig at another TV platform is getting ridiculous and peter05 can't even name 100 good channels on Freesat as he claimed and I mean good TV channels. I don't claim anything about Sky, but that's my choice to have Sky and if anyone has another TV platform, I say ok. But all these threads against one TV platform against another or all these Anti Sky v BBC channels threads is getting monotonous.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    All of these posters having a dig at another TV platform is getting ridiculous and peter05 can't even name 100 good channels on Freesat as he claimed and I mean good TV channels. I don't claim anything about Sky, but that's my choice to have Sky and if anyone has another TV platform, I say ok. But all these threads against one TV platform against another or all these Anti Sky v BBC channels threads is getting monotonous.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Ian.

You have just posted on the broadcasting forum an anti BBC post, and I have posted many times 100 good channels on FREESAT, someone will find some to be good and some not so good, who are you to say what is a good channel, All I know I find many good channels on FREESAT and others will find other channels to be good on FREESAT, It is not for you or me to say what someone should consider a good channel, :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    You have just posted on the broadcasting forum an anti BBC post, and I have posted many times 100 good channels on FREESAT, someone will find some to be good and some not so good, who are you to say what is a good channel, All I know I find many good channels on FREESAT and others will find other channels to be good on FREESAT, It is not for you or me to say what someone should consider a good channel, :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Check my post, and I'm not critisising the BBC or any TV medium. I'm more or less saying the same thing there that its getting tiresome all these Anti Sky v BBC threads. Ill watch the BBC if there's anything good there or on ITV,Channel 4 or 5 or on Sky. But I don't make any claims.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch Sky News all the time and never the BBC...

I watch Sky News all the time and never the BBC News.
    Ian.

Seems anti BBC to me
    Forum Member
    I watch Sky News all the time and never the BBC...

I watch Sky News all the time and never the BBC News.
    Ian.

Seems anti BBC to me

I do watch Sky News all the time, but as I'm interested in Politics I do watch BBC Parliament which is an excellent channel, just as I watch BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel4, Channel 5 and also Sky1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living and other channels. So I'm neither Anti Sky or Anti BBC.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ian.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left, Went back four months later with the same equipment, but had to get a new contract.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I left, Went back four months later with the same equipment, but had to get a new contract.
    ...but did you get a very good deal better than the standard offer pricing? There are certainly some good retention deals to be had.
    Forum Member
    At the moment I'm watching the England World Cup Qualyfiyer on ITV, but tommorow I might be watching on Sky Sports. It all depends on the programe whether its subscription or free to air as long its a programe I like, it dos'nt bother me.
    Ian.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »

Is that because you got a special deal?

If you return within one year of cancelling, you can sign up for one month minimum (you just need to give 31 days notice on the first day).