Options

Not having your children immunised is very selfish

NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really think that the fact that some parents won't have their children immunised is selfish it causes outbreaks and vunerable children and people (such as pregnant women) or others to get ill as it causes outbreaks. I know that when I was young it wasn't common for say the measles but that we caught it and most of us survived unscathed but now they have the medicine to prevent that and there are always those that suffer more serious complications such as my neighbours daughter (when I was a child) who went deaf as a result of measles.

I am bringing this us because my husband has got.. measles thats it and is pretty ill at the moment. Apparently there is an epidemic caused by those selfish parents. I just hope they aren't the direct cause of someone's deafness or death.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Swansea folk must be very stupid.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this on the news , place in wales has an outbreak and only now mothers want their kids immunized , they have queuing up at local hospital all day:mad:
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    it's just selfish, lazy and slightly ignorant. If anyone knows the full facts of the disease you'd immunise no questions asked.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    it's just selfish, lazy and slightly ignorant. If anyone knows the full facts of the disease you'd immunise no questions asked.

It's actually done (or not done) by many of the 'middle classes' who don't want to 'risk' any side effects, but at the same time they DEPEND on most of the rest of us immunizing our children to keep THEIRS safe.

Too many decide not to do it - disaster.

I think it is selfish.
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst part is that according to my Dr that you can now catch it again even if you had it as a child, although rare, something to do with your immune system and slight changes in the illness. Though my husband can't remember having it as a child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it would be useful or detrimental for the NHS to publicise one of the reasons for vaccinating: children with compromised immune systems cannot be vaccinated, and will be in the greatest danger if they catch measles. For them, the 'herd immunity' caused by mass vaccinations, is a life-saver. Would people care if their refusal to vaccinate their children caused grave danger to OTHER PEOPLES' children?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    There are legitimate reasons for not having children immunised (though I'm pro it where possible). My mother refused to allow me to have many vaccinations (including smallpox) because she reacted so badly to them. I did have the polio vaccine AFAIK and I chose to have the Rubella one when I was 15. I came up as not requiring the BCG after having the inital staple on the underside of the wrist thing so didn't have that but would have done otherwise. But other than a tetanus shot when I fell on a spike I don't think I've had anything else.

I don't really get all the fuss over measles - we all used to get it as a matter of course and it wasn't such a big deal for most. It's hardly polio or smallpox (yes I know some people react badly - but some people die from flu).

Unfortunately it's normally the babes under 13 months who are catching measles as they're too young to be vaccinated. Measles can be fatal or lead to serious complications.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are legitimate reasons for not having children immunised (though I'm pro it where possible). My mother refused to allow me to have many vaccinations (including smallpox) because she reacted so badly to them. I did have the polio vaccine AFAIK and I chose to have the Rubella one when I was 15. I came up as not requiring the BCG after having the inital staple on the underside of the wrist thing so didn't have that but would have done otherwise. But other than a tetanus shot when I fell on a spike I don't think I've had anything else.

I don't really get all the fuss over measles - we all used to get it as a matter of course and it wasn't such a big deal for most. It's hardly polio or smallpox (yes I know some people react badly - but some people die from flu).

Well that's okay then, except it's not for those children that end up dead or blind and deaf, tough on them though.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't really get all the fuss over measles.

You should educate yourself in that case.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need to do a bit of research. Measles can lead to a number of health problems including meningitis, serious eye problems, hepatitis, pneumonia and low platelet count amongst others.

It always amazes me that mothers will refuse to vaccinate their children on the unproven notion that they might become autistic, but ignore the fact that measles could lead to blindness, heart problems and even brain disorders - all of which have medical evidence to back up the claim!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree its not particularly sensible and it is thoughtless not to have them immunised.

What I don't understand is where it comes from. Regardless of vaccinations in children it must have been floating about somewhere and anybody over a certain age (I remember having the vaccination in high school in my teens in the 1990s) would still be susceptible to catching it until there comes a time when it is finally eradicated. I think the fact that vast members of children have not been vaccinated means that due to the closeness (and grimness) of children an epidemic is more likely. Hence we now have one in South Wales.

Had everyone who was offered the MMR taken this opportunity; I would guess measles cases would be forever in a steady decline.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No parents still have the right to decide what's best for their kids, if the choose not to immunise then you , I and everyone else has no right to castigate them for doing what the see as best for their kids.

Selfish is forcing ones beliefs and doctorine onto others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No parents still have the right to decide what's best for their kids, if the choose not to immunise then you , I and everyone else has no right to castigate them for doing what the see as best for their kids.

It's only best for their kids if nearly EVERYONE else gets their children immunized.

The idea that it's 'best for their kids' doesn't work when everyone thinks like that - bugger the others, mine won't get immunized, because then this sort of situation happens and children are damaged and die.

It's selfish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    saw this on the news , place in wales has an outbreak and only now mothers want their kids immunized , they have queuing up at local hospital all day:mad:

Some parents have had their children vaccinated but they are getting younger ones who have not yet been called for it done early. I think they normally have it at about one year old but the Drs are vaccinating from 6 months under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were probably protected because OTHER children were immunized.

My mother actually HAD TB when she was young, so we were all immunized early and very young.

I had a massive reaction, which showed I was actually vulnerable to the disease.

Count your blessings.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only best for their kids if nearly EVERYONE else gets their children immunized.

The idea that it's 'best for their kids' doesn't work when everyone thinks like that - bugger the others, mine won't get immunized, because then this sort of situation happens and children are damaged and die.

It's selfish.

It's not selfish, parents only care about their kids, they don't care if little Jo or Steve down the road gets ill, has an accident ect, the human race is selfish.

I was immunised against measles, chicken pox ect and I still bloody got them,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not selfish, parents only care about their kids, they don't care if little Jo or Steve down the road gets ill, has an accident ect, the human race is selfish.

I was immunised against measles, chicken pox ect and I still bloody got them,

It is selfish if you don't care that your actions might cause other children to suffer.

Some people do care, and have more sense than to refuse vaccinations when they are relying on others to have them, not realising that more and more of them will follow and then this sort of disaster would happen.

It's stupid and selfish, sorry.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member

Parents DO have the right to decide what is best for their kids, but that right stops at stupid.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    With all the bad press that happened regarding the MMR vaccine, I can understand why some parents would have been nervous of having their children vaccinated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    With all the bad press that happened regarding the MMR vaccine, I can understand why some parents would have been nervous of having their children vaccinated.

But it's been disregarded, everyone knows that. Apart from those around Swansea. Don't they have the news there?
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's actually done (or not done) by many of the 'middle classes' who don't want to 'risk' any side effects, but at the same time they DEPEND on most of the rest of us immunizing our children to keep THEIRS safe.

Too many decide not to do it - disaster.

I think it is selfish.

Almost exactly my thoughts

There are those that for whatever reasons genuinely don't have the immunisation, in which case herd immunisation kicks in and I totally get that, the ones that choose not to 'just because' are risking the health of younger children and those unable to be immunised.

I'd personally ban all unimmunised children from nursery unless they are under the age or they have doctors exemption notes.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    But it's been disregarded, everyone knows that. Apart from those around Swansea. Don't they have the news there?

They ate the pigeon :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I had measles as did everyone else I knew as a child (I got it relatively late at 13 which wasn't so great but better than the chickenpox I had at 15). I was protected from TB due to having been exposed to it abroad; my sibling was the same. We had to have xrays to check we didn't have the disease as the initial results showed we were either already protected or already had it but couldn't tell which without investigation. Lucikly we didn't have it!

I'm glad you got over the measles, but it's vulnerable children that are really in danger these day and depend on herd immunization, and they might not be fortunate.

My Mother had tb but it didn't kill her. Not a great thing to have nonetheless.

I had to have the x-ray too. A small number of us were shipped to the hospital as we came up negative.

I knew I was okay though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    Parents have the right to choose full stop.

We immunised our first child. By the time our second child came along, a pattern had begun to emerge in our family. Back in the late 80s, my eldest sister (I am youngest of three) lost her second child to cot death. In the late 90s, my middle sister lost her second child to cot death - I fell pregnant with my second child just after this.

Both my nephew and niece died within days of vaccines.

No one can imagine the fear that gripped me throughout my pregnancy and first couple of years of my second daughter's life. We opted not to vaccinate her as a baby as we felt the chance of SIDS was far greater than her catching measles etc. It was a very difficult decision, believe me.

Some may call it selfish. But, at that point I was only thinking about my child and her survival.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Yes I know the research was flawed and discredited , some years later, but You really can't label parents 'selfish' for being afraid.
    No one would want to think that there actions and choices would have a bad effect on their children for life, mud tends to stick.
    Hopefully this outbreak will make people finally understand that the MMR is very safe.