Why are you no religious and why don't some of you beieve in God and Jesus?

EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,315
Forum Member
✭✭
I know lots of people are not religious and don't believe in God and Jesus ect don't worry I won't force my beliefs on all of you but I would like to know why are you not religious and why don't you believe in God and Jesus?

Comments

• Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do believe in God, but I will never get your religion, sorry.

Explain to me why you can't have caffeine.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay another religion thread, can never have too many of those.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Sunday school and they drummed into me that I was going to hell unless I listened to everything they said. One day I decided to spend the two hours outside in the sunshine instead. When I wasn't struck down with lightning I decided not to go any more.

My own personal depiphany, as it were.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Why do you care OP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
  • portislayportislay Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I grew out of it.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    I got an education.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first encountered it at school I thought it sounded silly and untrue. I still hold that opinion.

Religion or god wasn't really mentioned by my parents. I get to school and they asked me to put my hands together, close my eyes and talk to someone who wasn't there in assembly. :o
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    I do believe in God, but I will never get your religion, sorry.

Explain to me why you can't have caffeine.

WE can drink caffeine I drink Diet coke and eat chocolate and that has caffeine in iys just tea and coffee we can't have because in the old days they drank them really hot and its not good for the belly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Why don't you read through the epically long do you believe in god thread? Should get plently on answers there.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a firm believer of freedom

The freedom to have sex before marriage

The freedom to eat what meat I choose when I choose to, without restrictions during times of the year

The freedom of supporting marriage between homosexuals

The freedom to have tattoos, get drunk, give blood donations to save lives, have the odd flutter on the horses.

The freedom & encouragement of the usage of contraception to help reduce the risk of aids.

I refuse to lose the right of choice by being dictated to by some fairytale, I choose how to live my life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WE can drink caffeine I drink Diet coke and eat chocolate and that has caffeine in iys just tea and coffee we can't have because in the old days they drank them really hot and its not good for the belly.

OK, but what has potential stomach ache got to do with religion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Why do you care OP?

Because it saddens me that lots of people don't believe and say they will never believe and I don't understand how someone can say they won't ever be religious because at the end of the day we don't know what will happen in 5, 10 or 20 years time some people's opinions change and some don't.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it saddens me that lots of people don't believe and say they will never believe and I don't understand how someone can say they won't ever be religious because at the end of the day we don't know what will happen in 5, 10 or 20 years time some people's opinions change and some don't.
    Exactly - I don't think everyone who is an atheist was born that way and that some have converted to the cause.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was christened a catholic and did all the confirmation and communion stuff as I was forced to, but I'm not religious in any way and haven't been in a catholic church since my grans funeral 22 years ago, but just because I'm not religious doesn't mean I don't believe in God, Jesus or an afterlife, as I do, but I also believe its more important how you live your life and treat others rather than living my life according to a 1700 year old book that did have a lot of its contents cherry picked in the 4th century to reflect what a few people in power wanted at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but your "rule book" doesn't state why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Exactly - I don't think everyone who is an atheist was born that way and that some have converted to the cause.

I know but it still makes me sad that lots of people are not religious and lots don't believe in god and Jesus. I know why lots of people are not religious its because lots of people haven't been taught anything and they have not had the experiences me and my friends have and I just wish more people can give religion a chance and I wish all shops were closed on a Sunday and that people don't drink lots of alcohol because you don't need alcohol to have a good time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a firm believer of freedom

The freedom to have sex before marriage

The freedom to eat what meat I choose when I choose to, without restrictions during times of the year

The freedom of supporting marriage between homosexuals

The freedom to have tattoos, get drunk, give blood donations to save lives, have the odd flutter on the horses.

The freedom & encouragement of the usage of contraception to help reduce the risk of aids.

I refuse to lose the right of choice by being dictated to by some fairytale, I choose how to live my life.

Fairytale?

Still like I tell people you will only know when you die and then you will know!

You seem quite agreeable on 99% accept religion and then there was me thinking that you was open minded but then 1% of ignorance crept in with the attitude of religion sigh!
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the whole idea is ridiculous, and there has been absolutely no proof of either in the last 2014 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Yes but your "rule book" doesn't state why.

does there have to be a reason? Its our commandments and we follow them We can drink mint tea and fruit tea and hot chocolate ect its just normal tea and coffee we can't drink
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cynet wrote: »
    Fairytale?

Still like I tell people you will only know when you die and then you will know!

You seem quite agreeable on 99% accept religion and then there was me thinking that you was open minded but then 1% of ignorance crept in with the attitude of religion sigh!

But you'll be dead and therefore won't be aware of ANYTHING. You'll be dead and that's it. The end.
  • portislayportislay Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Actually, I think the reason I grew out of it was when I was in church one day and the vicar told everyone to turn to the person to the left and hug them. Not into that malarkey
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe in a kind of God, a judge at the end of our lives.

I believe Jesus was a kind of Bhuddist, and I don't think he was God.

I like much of what Bhudda / Jesus said, but find both are too vague on so many issues.

I like that the Bhudda pretty much claims to just be a man looking for truth.

I don't like that Jesus is said to be God, and nor do I think his suffering of the beating aNd the cross was that great compared to most human beings (cancer, poverty, terminal illnesses, slavery etc...), especially if he knew that heaven awaited.I think he may have been some kind of prophet (or just a student of Bhuddism).

I do think about both figures quite a bit, and try to use their example in my life, but would not say I am a follower of either
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cynet wrote: »

Very true, and if you're an atheist and wrong you're screwed, but if you're an atheist and right, no one will ever know;-)
This discussion has been closed.