Options

The BBC WM 95.6 Thread

Comments

• Options
    tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I do like WM and I do think it has improved since the recent changes but I do still have some issues with the content.

Last Friday, Pete Morgan on the breakfast show was dealing with the reaction following the terrible incident on the bus on Thursday morning and while it was a horrific incident it made good radio. Talking about serious important issues and then hearing the public's reaction and thoughts is much more interesting than their lead story this morning... apprenticeships. I've heard two segments devoted to it this morning and it's pretty bland. It shouldn't be the main story on a breakfast show.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    tom_h wrote: »
    I do like WM and I do think it has improved since the recent changes but I do still have some issues with the content.

Last Friday, Pete Morgan on the breakfast show was dealing with the reaction following the terrible incident on the bus on Thursday morning and while it was a horrific incident it made good radio. Talking about serious important issues and then hearing the public's reaction and thoughts is much more interesting than their lead story this morning... apprenticeships. I've heard two segments devoted to it this morning and it's pretty bland. It shouldn't be the main story on a breakfast show.
    it could be interesting to some people
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flupton made a cameo appearance in his capacity as BBC Coventry drivetime host, when Midlands Today paid a visit, to discuss Coventry City.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

A lot of it depends on what material is available, which guests will and won't talk and a whole load of other variables.

Whilst it was a terrible tragedy, and clearly a huge talking point, people still want a round up of other news and a good selection of other stories.

Apprenticeships are big news and big business, and can make interesting radio if done in the right way. I didn't hear this show - so what was it you didn't like? Could it have been done differently?
  • Options
    Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torque wrote: »
    I remember when it used to be Ed Doolan, followed by Malcolm Boyden and then Jenny Wilkes. All excellent.

I wouldn't deny - or even try that hard to change - anyone's opinion, but I think there's quite a lot of Marmite in there (ie love it or hate it).

In my opinion, the line-up now is the best it's been for many years - far more consistent, far more of a "WM brand" where you know what you're getting (albeit with the individuality which is inevitable on a speech-led station). I think it was harder to do consistent over the past few years because the hiring wasn't consistent. I still reckon Phil could have been a good shout for breakfast in a line-up like today's.. but the rest of the day didn't fit that sound. It was 3 or 4 stations in one.

BBC Local Radio has fairly heavily tweaked its strategy a couple of times since the era you reminisce about, and radio has certainly moved on a long way. Boyden's late 90s "ooh Mrs" incarnation isn't going back on-air anywhere soon - his more recent performances elsewhere have been (impressively) more measured.

In short.. yes, WM's different to 15 years ago (as is EVERY radio station in the country), and if that's what we loved, we may not love it now. But I think there's now a case for saying it's not necessarily worse, even if it's different.

As I say.. all opinion. That's mine :)
  • Options
    ceefax2ceefax2 Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but some changes at BBC Coventry and Warwickshire from April....

- Bob Brolly moves from weekdays to Saturday's, replaced with Stuart Linnell
    - Malcolm Boyden leaves his Saturday morning slot, replaced with Trish Adudu

Not sure why those two changes have took place - there may be more for all I know

Where did you hear about these changes?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you are wondering why there seems to have been a disproportionate amount of stories about apprenticeships in the news this week, both nationally and locally, this is because it is National Apprenticeship Week.

Therefore the organisations which promote apprenticeships and the companies that take on a considerable number of apprentices have made a special effort to get their message across this week. I suspect most other BBC Local Radio stations will have carried items similar to those you mention from BBC WM. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good or bad thing, but this is how a lot of the media works as it gives them a guaranteed subject to discuss that is topical at that moment in time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's right, although a lot of News Editors specifically try to avoid themed weeks. That said, apprenticeships are one of the more interesting subjects. Again, perhaps the poster can tell us what was covered and how?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appears former Home Secretary Jacqui Spliff sorry Smith will be doing another documentary for Wm, being transmitted suprisingly at 9am tomorrow(Saturday), followed by a live debate.

(Guessing Nick Conrad will still do that part of his show?)

What a culture shock from Saturday Breakfast that will be! LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's right, although a lot of News Editors specifically try to avoid themed weeks. That said, apprenticeships are one of the more interesting subjects. Again, perhaps the poster can tell us what was covered and how?

Perhaps I was having a bad morning. My issue was, the same thing was repeated every 15 minutes, going to the same reporter who was again saying the same thing every 15 minutes. Listening this morning they're back to normal doing more stories, so perhaps it was just a slow news day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I was having a bad morning. My issue was, the same thing was repeated every 15 minutes, going to the same reporter who was again saying the same thing every 15 minutes. Listening this morning they're back to normal doing more stories, so perhaps it was just a slow news day.

Fair enough. I don't think it was a slow news day per se. Just that WM had decided to go big on apprenticeships. I can see from a listener's perspective why a "single theme" show could sound dull. It's all about putting some decent production into it.
  • Options
    Eric TristowEric Tristow Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but some changes at BBC Coventry and Warwickshire from April....

- Bob Brolly moves from weekdays to Saturday's, replaced with Stuart Linnell
    - Malcolm Boyden leaves his Saturday morning slot, replaced with Trish Adudu

Not sure why those two changes have took place - there may be more for all I know

Brolley is going but not being replaced by Linnell.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brolley is going but not being replaced by Linnell.

Just looked at a random day's April schedule...

06:00 – 07:00 - Paul Marriott
    07:00 – 10:00 - Shane O'Connor's Breakfast Show
    10:00 – 13:00 - Annie Othen
    13:00 – 16:00 - Vic Minett
    16:00 – 19:00 - Phil Upton

Looks like his slot has been dissolved completely with Paul Marriott on everyday at 6am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makes sense if they're trying to save money. Radio Stoke use the same structure. I still think a breakfast show should start at 6 though and not 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would I be correct in thinking that Nick Conrad is taking time off from his Bbc Norfolk job to cover Goldie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in thinking that Nick Conrad is taking time off from his Bbc Norfolk job to cover Goldie?

yes you are and what a good job he is doing sittting in for him one of the best presenters if not the best presenter wm have
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been meaning to post about this.

While Nick Conrad is very good on WM, isn't it strange that he's causing Norfolk to arrange cover for his slot? It's the same situation when Gareth Evans from Nottingham covers for Danny Kelly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doolan show this morning has cancelled its phone in on wills & probates, due to the death of one of its charity contributors to their recent Red Alert leukemia appeal, Tony De Grey.

Ed felt it was appropiate under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Coventry & Warwickshire have new jingles, that sound very much like WM's. (I know all BBC LR stations have to use the same supplier/style). Many of the jingles use 'Made in Coventry & Warwickshire'. A dig at Free Radio perhaps? Especially considering that was their strapline for Mercia.
  • Options
    shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    As long as they don't meddle with Network Gold, I am a happy man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shadowplay wrote: »
    As long as they don't meddle with Network Gold, I am a happy man.

they did change network golds jingles
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic Danny Kelly yesterday introducing Simon Weston of the Falklands Veterinary Association.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p016brrt [18:00 mins in]
  • Options
    shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    they did change network golds jingles

I'll guess I'll cope with that.:). It could have been worse and may have been axed. WM on the whole has improved compared to last years output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    listen to the call that came in 2 Nick Conrad at 2:31.40.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p016gfc5/Nick_Conrad_on_BBC_WM_13_04_2013/

i think the caller is wrong and Nick is the best presenter on wm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say Nick is the best presenter on WM but he is very good. He manages to stay up to date with what's going on in the Midlands whilst he spends the week in Norfolk and broadcasting on BBC Radio Norfolk.

The caller just sounds like he wants to complain about something. He's claiming Nick was impartial by just referring to Margaret Thatcher as 'Thatcher'. I suspect he simply dislikes Nick and wants to find something wrong with him. Very clever of Nick to get an opposing caller on air, something he does a lot and very well and just lets the callers have an on air debate.

Speaking of which, I think its about time that the 'boss' of WM does another phone in about the station. It's changed a lot in the last year and I think its changed for the better!

One thing, why does everybody refer it to as Radio WM? It hasn't been that for some time!