New version of Android called L out this Autumn

Comments

• GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly name discussions aside, I think this looks absolutely fantastic, apple have upped their game and now google are upping theirs yet again. The interface improvements look VERY nice, and not just that but the promise of android apps coming to chrome so and the continuity features (ala apple) look really great.

Microsoft will (or should be) very worried about what's going on here. Personally I am seeing less and less reasons to own a windows machine, with all of the baggage it entails than ever before.

I think we might be waiting a while before we see this release though, 4th quarter?

I can see my future - nexus or android silver phone, nexus 9 and a chromebook and I'll be set....
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we might be waiting a while before we see this release though, 4th quarter?

usually at same time as new nexus phone release.
    September/October usually.
    I can see my future - nexus or android silver phone, nexus 9 and a chromebook and I'll be set....

if i could find somewhere selling the samsung chromebook 2 (the only chromebook with 1080p screen) then i would, but it seems to be vaporware in the UK.
  • Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    L, so they did not find anybody yet ready to pay through their nose to have the honour.

If they stick with branded stuff LEGO could be in with a shout
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_1 wrote: »
    If they stick with branded stuff LEGO could be in with a shout

the theme is deserts/sweets.
    how does Lego fit in to that ?
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just installed the preview on my N5.

The initial boot took a long time (a couple of minutes at least), probably due to ART having to compile everything.

The new boot animation is pretty nice. 4 coloured balls moving around each other in various patterns and also slightly growing and shrinking as if they are moving closer and further away from the screen (a nod to the new Material Design with it's depth component).

It's just finishing the initial login/restore process right now, so i'm off to have a play. :D

Urgh, *still* no native support for IPP Everywhere (like Airprint, but an official standard) or the Opus codec.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    usually at same time as new nexus phone release.
    September/October usually.

if i could find somewhere selling the samsung chromebook 2 (the only chromebook with 1080p screen) then i would, but it seems to be vaporware in the UK.

Yes I expect to see it released with the new nexus 6 / droid silver (really these are going to be google play editions of flagships aren't they?)

Didn't realise you couldn't get a chromebook 2 in the uk, seems a shame and chrome OS seems to scale far better to high res screens than windows, which has always been a total irritation. Still could be tempted to get a cheapo second hand one and stick some more ram and a SSD in it (if it doesn't already have one), sometimes 768p is sufficient on a 11.6" laptop. Also you could look out for the very original Samsung chromebook which has better specs apparently.

Apparently you can put your own 1080 panels on chrome books but you'd have to be very committed to try that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sometimes 768p is sufficient on a 11.6" laptop. Also you could look out for the very original Samsung chromebook which has better specs apparently..

i can't drop to a 1366 x 768 resolution on a 13" or 14" screen.
    the only chromebook i would consider is the only one currently to have a 1080p screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blow the budget, buy a chromebook pixel :p I seriously would if I had the money, but they're still silly money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blow the budget, buy a chromebook pixel :p I seriously would if I had the money, but they're still silly money.

don't even think i'd get enough to buy that if i sold my 15" Macbook Pro.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    it is a bit strange they're not referring to it by name (yet?). Either negotiations with Lion bar/Lucozade are ongoing or maybe they're dropping the sweet theme entirely.

I can imagine from a branding point of view that Lollipop may be considered infantile, liquorice not to everyone's tastes(as well as being hard to spell) and Lemon Meringue Pie a bit long for constantly referring to it.

They could ditch the asinine 'sweet theme' concept altogether, and name them after healthy foods instead.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    binary wrote: »
    They could ditch the asinine 'sweet theme' concept altogether, and name them after healthy foods instead.

Android Lemon grass! :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    binary wrote: »

Android Lentil is unlikely to be the next name...
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is where it all goes wrong.

Google release the latest version of OS.

Manufactures say were are only going to update a few of our phones (usually the premium ones only and only for devices that are less than 2 years old). Lengthy wait usually 4 - 6 months sometimes more.

Manufactures then gives it to network operator. This usually involves a lengthy wait while networks do their own customisation if they feel like it so no hurry here either!

Apple have kept on top of this sort of thing.

Well HTC have improved a lot in this regard. On my HTC M7 I have had many updates. 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4. With the last two updates they have been getting off the mark a lot quicker. Also the M7 and M8 will be getting Android L within 90 days of Google releasing it. I'm pretty much up to date with my m7 on three.

It's up to the manufacturers to get updates out as quick as possible and support a handset for at least 2 years. The One M7 will be 2 years by early next year so if it gets Android L, like HTC have promised, then that's pretty good going and i'd be satisfied with that.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone has installed the preview as yet?

Have to say, Android finally has had a lick of paint! The design takes cues from iOS in aesthetics. However the whole look of the OS has been freshened up. The settings menu has had an overhaul to a more picture friendly look. The notification bar/centre has been given a paint job along with the keybard. Theres more to it, however considering it is own a preview it feels quite polished.

I am glad Google has finally followed the lead of Apple and Microsoft by releasing early previews, as the mass testing will allow them to stamp out bugs much quicker.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Well HTC have improved a lot in this regard. On my HTC M7 I have had many updates. 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4. With the last two updates they have been getting off the mark a lot quicker. Also the M7 and M8 will be getting Android L within 90 days of Google releasing it. I'm pretty much up to date with my m7 on three.

It's up to the manufacturers to get updates out as quick as possible and support a handset for at least 2 years. The One M7 will be 2 years by early next year so if it gets Android L, like HTC have promised, then that's pretty good going and i'd be satisfied with that.

There is a really simple effective answer that Google should enforce.

Let phones be able to have a stock Android update if they want straight away when its released (hardware permitting).

If other manufacturers and networks want bloatware added several months later then its up to them.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    There is a really simple effective answer that Google should enforce.

Let phones be able to have a stock Android update if they want straight away when its released (hardware permitting).

If other manufacturers and networks want bloatware added several months later then its up to them.

there is no chance of that.

the manufacturers and networks monetize the stuff they put on it.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Apple have kept on top of this sort of thing.

Lol. Well they have stopped anyone else from making hardware that runs their operating systems..... it prevents the issue but means you only get a very limited set of hardware options in a very limited price range.

not sure thats 'keeping on top of this sort of thing' - its simply removing all third parties from the hardware equation completely :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

While I think there is little chance of it happening it would certainly get them to speed things up !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Lol. Well they have stopped anyone else from making hardware that runs their operating systems..... it prevents the issue but means you only get a very limited set of hardware options in a very limited price range.

not sure thats 'keeping on top of this sort of thing' - its simply removing all third parties from the hardware equation completely :p

Perhaps Microsoft's Windows Phone is a better example regarding hardware.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

there was a rumour a while back about how Google would separate out core Android from manufacturer customisations - effectively making them skins that could be toggled on or off (and importantly, the underlying OS could be updated independently of them)

Sadly it was just a concept, but it did sound feasible at the time.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/05/more-android-4-2-rumors-surface-customization-center-project-roadrunner-updated-google-play-and-now/
  • sarahs291sarahs291 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Linguinie
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    there was a rumour a while back about how Google would separate out core Android from manufacturer customisations - effectively making them skins that could be toggled on or off (and importantly, the underlying OS could be updated independently of them)

Sadly it was just a concept, but it did sound feasible at the time.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/05/more-android-4-2-rumors-surface-customization-center-project-roadrunner-updated-google-play-and-now/

google does need manufacturers on board. and they really wouldn't like that.

a more plausible implementation it seems to me would be that the core OS could still be updated under the skin.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Microsoft's Windows Phone is a better example regarding hardware.

Agreed :)
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahs291 wrote: »
    Linguinie

1. Not a sweet/dessert
    2. Not the easiest word to spell - Linguine
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Low fat raspberry cream, is a mouthful, too :p