Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well crossroads did ok at tea time.

anyway i cannot see this happening, sorry, they will axe them first. no it won't happen.

I can see the soaps either being moved to teatime slots by 2024, or perhaps moved to ITV 2, which has all the repeats and omnibuses. 3 million would be huge for them.
    This is all hypothesis, of course, but the continuing fall in interest in the soaps must be of concern to BBC One and ITV.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Strictly started at 18:34, I think Pizzatheaction said this would happen when they gave Pointless a 45 minute slot instead of 50 minutes. Hopefully this means it won't start wrapping up too early tonight.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Actually, I've found an annual chart for Others' share of viewing:

1991 - 4%
    1992 - 5%
    1993 - 6%
    1994 - 7%
    1995 - 9%
    1996 - 10.1%
    1997 - 11.8%
    1998 - 12.9%
    1999 - 14.0%
    2000 - 16.6%
    2001 - 19.6%
    === Freeview launched in 2002 ===
    2002 - 22.1%
    2003 - 23.6%
    2004 - 26.2%
    2005 - 29.6%
    2006 - 33.3%
    2007 - 36.5%
    2008 - 38.8%
    2009 - 41.4%
    === BARB panel change ===
    2010 - 43.7%
    2011 - 44.9%
    2012 - 45.9%
    2013 - 46.9%

http://www.barb.co.uk/trendspotting/data/annual-share-of-viewing?_s=4
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Sorry but that just isn't the case. BBC1 haven't had much luck this Autumn either. Mondays have seen New Tricks take an almighty year on year fall, Tuesdays have seen The Driver put in lacklustre numbers (In The Club did fairly well but that was Summer not Autumn/Winter). Our Zoo was disappointing out of Bake Off on Wednesdays, Doctor Who is fine but unspectacular and Our Girl has hardly put in a set of stellar numbers. OK against Downton at best and will probably be axed. All in all they've had a pretty average run. Meanwhile ITV have had Grantchester do solid but unspectacular numbers and Cilla do really well on Mondays, an OK-ish run of Scott & Bailey on Wednesdays, disasters with Chasing Shadows and The Great Fire on Thursdays, OK numbers for Lewis but quite a way down on previous numbers on Fridays, a disaster for Mr Whicher and a year on year fall for Downton (but still very strong numbers).

You've made out that BBC1 have had a great run and ITV's has been awful which isn't the case at all. Both sides I think have done OK overall but would have hoped for better. I think The Missing could potentially do well but I wouldn't get ahead of yourself yet.

But the problem is, this year ITV have had an awful year. 90% of shows have been down YOY and most of this year and been poor. They are down YOY. The BBC are up YOY. The only thing to finish off a very bad year is for IAC to suddenly drop 1-2m for no reason at all.

ITV think they can put in little effort over Summer and viewers will just automatically return during Autumn. This year shows that they won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the problem is, this year ITV have had an awful year. 90% of shows have been down YOY and most of this year and been poor. They are down YOY. The BBC are up YOY. The only thing to finish off a very bad year is for IAC to suddenly drop 1-2m for no reason at all.

ITV think they can put in little effort over Summer and viewers will just automatically return during Autumn. This year shows that they won't.

ITV's problem is it relies too much on two soaps that are in decline, four ageing entertainment formats, and two decent dramas( DA and Broadchurch) that do well, but everything else is sub 5 million. Their morning and lunchtime schedule, once invincible, is now beaten 2 to 1 by BBC One and is of no interest to anyone else but middle aged women or people who like to see people humiliated in a studio. GMB is doing no better than Daybreak and their sports coverage has been fatally wounded by the loss of most live football. There are some decent factual shows, some decent lesser dramas like DCI Banks, and thankfully reality has been cut back in recent years, but nothing that has a must see factor and the image the channel has is still low rent.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again, the old, "soaps are going to axed or moved to daytime" suggestion, that seems to be more certain people's fantasy hope rather than a likely situation. Making this suggestion over and over again doesn't make it more likely.

Yes they are beaten by various flagship entertainment shows and events, but they still rate generally better than anything else during the week. When they rate lower than the main 8pm and 9pm programmes, 5 days a week, then at that point there may be a likelihood that they would leave their established slots but until then it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if ITV was showing paint drying against a wall, Andy 23 would defend it as a great format and show, same as if Coronation St fell to 2 million viewers, it would be a BBC conspiracy. Andy really is the head of ITV in disguise.
    ITV just isn't delivering. They have too many old formats, an unwillingness to take risks, and some programmes which are just dire. While no doubt their core audience of middle aged women enjoy their programmes, not many other people do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice question about Have I got News for You on Pointless tonight, I bet many here would have known some of the answers. Always good when you know an answer that had a score of 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think if ITV was showing paint drying against a wall, Andy 23 would defend it as a great format and show, same as if Coronation St fell to 2 million viewers, it would be a BBC conspiracy. Andy really is the head of ITV in disguise.
    ITV just isn't delivering. They have too many old formats, an unwillingness to take risks, and some programmes which are just dire. While no doubt their core audience of middle aged women enjoy their programmes, not many other people do.

Have you pressed the button to launch out one of your stock posts by accident, as this response has absolutely nothing to do with what I just posted.

My post was about all soaps including EastEnders. There is no way that is going to be moved into daytime either unless it rated lower than 3m, and everything in peak rated over 3m, despite what you soap hater may want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Nice question about Have I got News for You on Pointless tonight, I bet many here would have known some of the answers. Always good when you know an answer that had a score of 1.

In your defence Pointless, for all it delivers over 3 million, is the BBC's equivalent of Emmerdale, overkilled and with a BBC air of superiority. While BBC One might do better than ITV in the ratings, 21 per cent is nothing to shout about and they too milk formats to death. My sister, who has a Sky package, rarely bothers with the two main channels and most people I know who have Sky don't bother.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

I'd totally forgotten Paul Merton hosted the first show after Angus Deayton departed, although that was a rushed appointment I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the first time ever, an appearance by Adrian Chiles on ITV has just received a positive reaction on Twitter. :D

In case you are wondering, he just went with the higher offer and beat the governess.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB: But the company is making a profit, and it's an increasing profit so as a commercial company, they are delivering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I'd totally forgotten Paul Merton hosted the first show after Angus Deayton departed, although that was a rushed appointment I suppose.

I knew that one, didn't know it first started in 1990, although I bet one person round here would have done. I would have said later, although it was of course just another show on BBC2 amongst a comprehensive slate of other comedy shows at that point.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew that one, didn't know it first started in 1990, although I bet one person round here would have done. I would have said later, although it was of course just another show on BBC2 amongst a comprehensive slate of other comedy shows at that point.

I knew it started in 1990. The first series finished just a few days before Margaret Thatcher resigned as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The reason drama's are under performing is because there are just too many of them. Whilst drama is important and valued, you can have too much. There is very little comedy, very little entertainment and lots of filler docs and drama. The Apprentice and GBBO are/did perform (ing) well because they are an oasis of variety in a sea of drama and soap opera.

I think scheduling and quality have been dramas biggest problem this Autumn.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again, the old, "soaps are going to axed or moved to daytime" suggestion, that seems to be more certain people's fantasy hope rather than a likely situation. Making this suggestion over and over again doesn't make it more likely.

Yes they are beaten by various flagship entertainment shows and events, but they still rate generally better than anything else during the week. When they rate lower than the main 8pm and 9pm programmes, 5 days a week, then at that point there may be a likelihood that they would leave their established slots but until then it isn't going to happen.

Glad I read all the posts today as I was going to say the same thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1991 - 4%
    1992 - 5%
    1993 - 6%
    1994 - 7%
    1995 - 9%
    1996 - 10.1%
    1997 - 11.8%
    1998 - 12.9%
    1999 - 14.0%
    2000 - 16.6%
    2001 - 19.6%
    2002 - 22.1%
    2003 - 23.6%
    2004 - 26.2%
    2005 - 29.6%
    2006 - 33.3%
    2007 - 36.5%
    2008 - 38.8%
    2009 - 41.4%
    2010 - 43.7%
    2011 - 44.9%
    2012 - 45.9%
    2013 - 46.9%

Many people provide info on here but you are rapidly becoming Mr Stats on this thread
    Too many channels imo.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1991 - 4%
    1992 - 5%
    1993 - 6%
    1994 - 7%
    1995 - 9%
    1996 - 10.1%
    1997 - 11.8%
    1998 - 12.9%
    1999 - 14.0%
    2000 - 16.6%
    2001 - 19.6%
    2002 - 22.1%
    2003 - 23.6%
    2004 - 26.2%
    2005 - 29.6%
    2006 - 33.3%
    2007 - 36.5%
    2008 - 38.8%
    2009 - 41.4%
    2010 - 43.7%
    2011 - 44.9%
    2012 - 45.9%
    2013 - 46.9%

Thanks for this :)
    A steady increase every year till we're almost at 50% of the available audience watching away from the "main" channels.
    Is it any wonder ratings on the main channels are looking lacklustre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this :)
    A steady increase every year till we're almost at 50% of the available audience watching away from the "main" channels.
    Is it any wonder ratings on the main channels are looking lacklustre.

Then factor in how TV audiences in general are getting smaller, and it's no wonder the ratings are so low these days.

The annoying bit, is that unless it's one of the biggest shows, nobody else I speak to has watched the same show, so you can't talk about them, except on the Internet of course.

One of my friends has just started watching Bad Education. I didn't want to tell them, they've found that show a bit late! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then factor in how TV audiences in general are getting smaller, and it's no wonder the ratings are so low these days.

The annoying bit, is that unless it's one of the biggest shows, nobody else I speak to has watched the same show, so you can't talk about them, except on the Internet of course.

One of my friends has just started watching Bad Education. I didn't want to tell them, they've found that show a bit late! :p

Find myself agreeing with you again :)

I can remember when OFAH was at its peak my entire then workplace seemed to be talking about it at once-and the same for major soap stories/primetime stuff etc. All gone -I cant remember the amount of times I have said "have you seen.............." with negative response-its a real conversation killer :D

Something may have been gained by having all these channels (though not in all cases), but something has been lost socially too imo.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite annoyed tonight. I decided to watch Doctor Who live and watch TXF after, but tonight's episode of DW was a disappointment. It felt more like The Sarah Jane Adventures (which I do like) but for DW it felt way too soft. Too much talking, chatting. It was bordering on boring.

One a different not next weeks episodes look fantastic. But then trailer's can always look good, and then the episode turns out to be disappointing.

Edit: That episode was pants. Plot holes at every corner. Worst episode of the series. A complete waste of time.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    For some time now I have had a conspiracy theory that the BBC1 schedulers are quietly trying to kill EE for their own devious reasons. While the 7.30 airings on Tuesday and Thursday have TOS as a lead in on Monday at 7.30 regional programmes (sometimes repeats) and on Fridays repeats of QOS. BBC1 really should be doing better than that.
    TOS and AQOS have led into EE in those slots for as long as the eye can remember, if putting them there is a plot to quietly kill EastEnders they're taking a bloody long time over it :p
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Note: In the officials, Stand Up to Cancer is listed as one show from 19:00 to 00:00. It averaged 2.32m (11.6%).
    Very solid indeed. Nothing like the 9.75m that the first half of Children in Need got last year, but nobody expected it to be.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Most Watched Programmes of 2014 - 'Live' Viewing
    07 - 8.03m (41.0%) - The Eurovision Song Contest (10/05, BBC1)
    :D Eurovision is a beast. And people wonder why the BBC contiue to enter it.
    ITV's problem is it relies too much on two soaps that are in decline, four ageing entertainment formats, and two decent dramas( DA and Broadchurch) that do well,
    How can they 'rely too much' on Broadchurch when there have only been eight episodes of it :confused: The second series could bomb for all we know.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite annoyed tonight. I decided to watch Doctor Who live and watch TXF after, but tonight's episode of DW was a disappointment. It felt more like The Sarah Jane Adventures (which I do like) but for DW it felt way too soft. Too much talking, chatting. It was bordering on boring.

One a different not next weeks episodes look fantastic. But then trailer's can always look good, and then the episode turns out to be disappointing.

Edit: That episode was pants. Plot holes at every corner. Worst episode of the series. A complete waste of time.

Yes, it wasn't very good really. For the first time ever I voted average in the poll on the DW forums.

In honesty I thought "My God, party political broadcasts used to be 5 minutes long. How come the Green Party are allowed 45 minutes?".

It was badly executed, ridiculously plotted and actually utterly pointless.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1991 - 4%
    1992 - 5%
    1993 - 6%
    1994 - 7%
    1995 - 9%
    1996 - 10.1%