Depression. What helped you?

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Depression and all that can go with it.
Did conventional treatment help you or make you worse?
Did you find your own way after Drs and therapist failed you (if they indeed did?)

I dont mean self medicating in a harmful way, that a lot of us have done but did you read or stumble across your our cure?

How did you get yourself out that black hole?

I did it by diet ( always in ketosis) and amazed myself on how much my mental health improved, also my physical health improved beyond anything I could imagine.
I lost over 7 stone in one year (most of that put on due to the meds I was on )

What helped you the most, if anything. Was it conventional medicine or unconventional.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Forcing myself to get out for a daily walk. I tend to keep to the house and not see anyone for weeks at a time. Walking gets me fresh air, exercise and you meet people to at least say hello to along the way.

For me, anti depressants did not work. The first one that I was on left me in a rage, I was spoiling for a fight all the time! Second ones, I slept about 18/20 hours a day, whacked on 57 pounds and was practically housebound.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting endorphins from gym training, also making huge improvements in my strength/size which led to far more positive attention. Plus time, life experiences, combat sports, various medication all helped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Nothing is helping me for my social anxiety apart from being alone.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me exercise has been the key to improving my mental health and also avoiding alcohol.
    Also having a job helps, its a real struggle to get up and go in (occasionally I give in) but once at work my mind is occupied and focused leaving no time to dwell on my anxiety.

Of course getting correct and managable medication is the first step.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not depression but anxiety, which in turn made me feel down and lose interest in going out.

My doctor gave me propanolol, which really helped. When the physical symptoms of anxiety reduced, I was more willing to go out more and that in turn helped mental health no end. The more you do, the more you want to do and the healthier you will be.

I still take propanolol if I'm going through something stressful, or I feel a tension headache coming on but this is thankfully getting rarer as time goes on.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I believe reducing stress is key.

Stress is often a leading trigger so best to avoid it if possible at all.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for walking/exercise here. It's not just a myth - it really does work. You have to do it regularly (which obviously is a problem because depression causes lack of motivation) but I found it more effective than anti-depressants. I walked 2 miles every day, breaking into a run whenever I felt like it. I also repeated positive affirmations out loud while I was walking. I think the exercise was more helpful than the affirmations but I wanted to do everything I possibly could and I think the affirmations did help a bit.

I was also recommended a therapist who was right for me, who really helped me too. It took me about a year of exercise/affirmations and seeing the therapist to get back to some sort of normality.
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Exercise. It really is the best thing for it. A ten minute walk around the block each day can do wonders then easily build on that with other exercise. I found Yoga to be an incredible help, mind body and soul and all that.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forcing myself to get out for a daily walk.
    Same with me as well. ;)
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the exorcise as well. I could not go out often ( At one time didn't leave my home for three years) but if I put music on and danced( like no one was watching;) I felt so much better. Now I can go for walks, it feels great. I think I'm always going to be someone who has to force myself to go out, but once I do I feel good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I believe reducing stress is key.

Stress is often a leading trigger so best to avoid it if possible at all.

Its funny but my whole life up until I was 40 was very very stressful but as soon as that stress was gone, I fell to bits. :confused: But then once all that happened, even a tiny bit of stress after that, sent me to bed for weeks. The human mind is very complex.
    luckylila wrote: »
    Another vote for walking/exercise here. It's not just a myth - it really does work. You have to do it regularly (which obviously is a problem because depression causes lack of motivation) but I found it more effective than anti-depressants. I walked 2 miles every day, breaking into a run whenever I felt like it. I also repeated positive affirmations out loud while I was walking. I think the exercise was more helpful than the affirmations but I wanted to do everything I possibly could and I think the affirmations did help a bit.

I was also recommended a therapist who was right for me, who really helped me too. It took me about a year of exercise/affirmations and seeing the therapist to get back to some sort of normality.

Positive thinking is also very good. Not being around negative people, not being pulled into drama.

If anyone makes you feel less than you are, then they are not good for you, and you should take steps to get them out of your life, even if they are family.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naff all.

Seeing Shrinks. = didn't help
    Tablets = don't help.
    Getting out every day = no help.
    Exercise = no help.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    There are numerous things I could mention, some of which have been mentioned already, but here's a quirky one.

Eating plenty of fibre to stay 'regular' seems to have a noticeable effect on my mood.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not had depression personally and at one time used to view people who suffer from it with a bit of a 'pull your socks up attitude'.
    Then I met someone who had suffered a nervous breakdown and depression and was quite unstable at times mentally.
    It was a kick up the backside to someone like me who is a bit of a tough old cookie and gets on with stuff whatever.
    It made me realise that the mind is a very delicate thing at times and never to prejudge anyone.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What helped you the most, if anything. Was it conventional medicine or unconventional.

Going back to work as having too much time to think makes me so much worse. It's not the same for everyone but for me a routine helps a huge amount, even though it took me a long time to realise it. Accepting that I will have my bad days like I would with any illness but making sure it doesn't dominate my life and thoughts. CBT helped me enormously with that.
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Naff all.

Tablets = don't help.
    Exercise = no help.

Sounds like severe depression.

I think self help can help mild-moderate depression but severe depression often takes time to heal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    the best advice i can give you is to remain mindful . i can recommend several books that will help with the depression. finding peace in a frantic world by mark williams- the happiness trap by russ harris- overcoming depression by paul gilbert. all of these books have been an excellent source of help. another thing to do when you are depressed is avoid the temptation to do nothing. even a ten minute walk will help. brooding about things makes you feel even worse. brooding is the problem not the solution. finally have compassion for yourself . :)
    Forum Member
    Its funny but my whole life up until I was 40 was very very stressful but as soon as that stress was gone, I fell to bits. :confused: But then once all that happened, even a tiny bit of stress after that, sent me to bed for weeks. The human mind is very complex.

Positive thinking is also very good. Not being around negative people, not being pulled into drama.

If anyone makes you feel less than you are, then they are not good for you, and you should take steps to get them out of your life, even if they are family.

I'm the opposite.

Mild stress can be motivating but any emotional upset or moderate-severe stress can send me spiralling on a downer.

But I feel stress is often accumulative and sometimes it can be something small on top of numerous other things that breaks the camel's back.

I agree with you on positive thinking and avoiding people who are bad for you.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a fairly brief period of anxiety/depression and a session of Citalopram which had me seriously considering topping myself, I decided I wasn't going to put up with it any longer. I forced myself out of the house, walking several times a day. After about 10 days of this I was feeling much better, sleeping at night and I got myself a part-time job.
    I haven't looked back. I now walk about six miles every day and although I've never been fat I've lost 12 pounds and feel better than I have for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Naff all.

Tablets = don't help.
    Exercise = no help.

Mine was like that until I stumbled on my diet, plus high dose vit D. but all those things now help keep me up and motivated.

Hope you find something that will work for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the best advice i can give you is to remain mindful . i can recommend several books that will help with the depression. finding peace in a frantic world by mark williams- the happiness trap by russ harris- overcoming depression by paul gilbert. all of these books have been an excellent source of help. another thing to do when you are depressed is avoid the temptation to do nothing. even a ten minute walk will help. brooding about things makes you feel even worse. brooding is the problem not the solution. finally have compassion for yourself . :)

BIB That has always been the hardest thing for me. I dont need enemies I am my own worst one.
    Forum Member
    According to Patrick Holford the main causes of low serotonin often implicated in depression is

not enough oestrogen-women
    not enough testosterone-men
    not enough light
    not enough exercise
    too much stress-especially in women
    not enough vitamins and minerals
    blood sugar imbalance

Key therefore is to balance blood sugar, get plenty of vits and mins, reduce stress, exercise, get light and get hormones balanced.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Don't drink alcohol. It causes mood swings.
    2. Cut sugar out of your diet.
    3. Work long hours, preferably in a job you enjoy/tolerate.
    4. Exercise rigorously three times a week.
    5. Have 3-4 positive people around you. Cut negative people out of your life, and those who move from one crisis to another.
    5. Develop a purpose to your life, a reason for living, that is greater than yourself.
    6. DO NOT take so-called 'antidepressants'. There is no sensible, objective evidence that they work and quite a lot that they are linked to paranoia and deep problems.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    I'm not going to sugar-coat it; Fluoxetine. That's it really.

Life's too short not to take the meds.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I've never had real deep depression so I don't pretend I can speak from experience, but I have been down in the past, and this was improved 100 fold by:

- regular exercise
    - eating sensibly and healthily
    - taking Vitamin D supplement (prescribed by a consultant for another condition) but really helped my whole health situation
    - thinking of other people and helping other people

These things have really helped people I know who've had depression.