New Kindles announced - tablets & ereaders

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
Forum Member
Making the base Kindle touch screen with a £59 is a good idea. Wonder how well the premium Kindle Voyages will sell for. The budget Kindle Fire HD looks like a decent buy. The HDX tablets look very powerful. The kiddie tablet looks interesting too. A very interesting range!!
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/amazon-announces-new-fire-tablets-e-ink-kindles-and-a-special-fire-for-kids/

Comments

• cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quad core, front and back facing cameras, Dolby speakers and now 5 different colours... very appealing range at a great price.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad move to reserve the press / click options to a model starting at £169 (Voyage wifi). Touch screens are a pain on Kindles, if having to cling for life on a Tube carriage pole while trying to read on one. Just not as easy to navigate back and forth.

They should have kept that option on the base £59 version, or added it to the Paperwhite wifi version, for £99. That would be my ideal Kindle model.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, £169 for an e reader, can't see that doing good business,

£229 for the 3G version, I presume it's the very limited 3G (Wikipedia and buying books only)

I still have my old 3G keyboard version great for going away, being able to read the basic news websites, emergency use for maps, weather, gmail, etc. wish they would return this ability.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Fine as an all singing, all dancing tablet. Never as good as a dedicated e-reader though.

Yes, less concerned with e-reading though. It is their rival to the Ipad and it looks like a good competitor product to my simple mind.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Really want a Voyage.

How much would a Like New 1st Gen Paperwhite get if I tried to sell it? Direct to somebody not to a 2nd hand shop ripoff merchant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon have these new products on pre-order for 4 November.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Amazon have these new products on pre-order for 4 November.
    That's the new Fire HDX tablets. The ereaders and Fire HDs start rolling out at the beginning of next month.
  • kopite77kopite77 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    Really want a Voyage.

How much would a Like New 1st Gen Paperwhite get if I tried to sell it? Direct to somebody not to a 2nd hand shop ripoff merchant.

I sold a first generation paperwhite last December on eBay, I got £80 for it, I will be doing the same with second generation paperwhite in November when I get my Voyage, to pay towards it. :)
    Forum Member
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    Really want a Voyage.

I've got one of these so I checked eBay out of interest. The going rate for 1st gen wifi looks to be £70-75. On Gumtree a couple were selling them in the £50s for may be quick sales. But it seems hard to find them under £70. They hold their value well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For 4th November read 4th October in my post above. Apologies.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've got one of these so I checked eBay out of interest. The going rate for 1st gen wifi looks to be £70-75. On Gumtree a couple were selling them in the £50s for may be quick sales. But it seems hard to find them under £70. They hold their value well.
    kopite77 wrote: »
    I sold a first generation paperwhite last December on eBay, I got £80 for it, I will be doing the same with second generation paperwhite in November when I get my Voyage, to pay towards it. :)

Thanks. Would be happy with just getting enough for the Voyage to cost me £100. Would include the official Amazon cover as well.
    Forum Member
    The new Kindle Fire HDs and Kindle Touch are out today. I ordered a green Kindle Fire so will have to wait a couple of weeks!! You'll have to wait longer for the HDXs and Voyage.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-HD-Display-Wi-Fi-Black/dp/B00KC6KMWI/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1412205110&sr=1-4&keywords=Kindle+fire
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Kindle Fire HDs and Kindle Touch are out today. I ordered a green Kindle Fire so will have to wait a couple of weeks!! You'll have to wait longer for the HDXs and Voyage.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-HD-Display-Wi-Fi-Black/dp/B00KC6KMWI/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1412205110&sr=1-4&keywords=Kindle+fire

I've got the black one arriving today. You had one before?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, less concerned with e-reading though. It is their rival to the Ipad and it looks like a good competitor product to my simple mind.

For a general purpose tablet, I would probably go for an Android device. The Fire completely locks you into Amazon.
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I've got the black one arriving today. You had one before?
    No, it will be my first Kindle Fire. I have the ereaders though. Own an iPad but am interested to see what it's like using a Kindle as a Prime subscriber.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if the Kids edition is available in the UK?

The only mentions of it seem to be on US sites and I can't find it on Amazon.co.uk

I'm on the lookout for a proper child's tablet and it seems to be ideal.
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Kids edition is available in the UK?

The only mentions of it seem to be on US sites and I can't find it on Amazon.co.uk

I'm on the lookout for a proper child's tablet and it seems to be ideal.
    Just checked and yes you're right, the Guardian says that there's been no UK release date given. I'd keep a close eye on things though as I suspect these tablets will be like gold dust in the run up to Christmas.

Edit: Suspect there's issues sorting out the TV and movie licensing for Freetime Unlimited. Also think that the 6" will be more in demand than the 7" as it's cheaper but both should be sell outs.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Just checked and yes you're right, the Guardian says that there's been no UK release date given. I'd keep a close eye on things though as I suspect these tablets will be like gold dust in the run up to Christmas.

Edit: Suspect there's issues sorting out the TV and movie licensing for Freetime Unlimited. Also think that the 6" will be more in demand than the 7" as it's cheaper but both should be sell outs.

Thanks.

I've preordered the HD6 instead of waiting to see if/when the Kids version arrives.

Other than the casing I can't see much of a difference.
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I've preordered the HD6 instead of waiting to see if/when the Kids version arrives.

Other than the casing I can't see much of a difference.
    I think the biggest plus of the kids edition is the 'no questions asked' free replacement (for 2 years) of the kids' version if they break it. Quicker than having to use home insurance and no effect on 'no claims' of course. There's Freetime Unlimited for a year which probably works out as decent value. The parental controls are strong and I think that the tablet has a default block on in-app purchases (all other tablets have them turned on by default) which we know from the news are a complete mystery to many parents. But ultimately it's just not much more than the original Fire HD which Amazon pushes as the kid friendly tablet.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Fine as an all singing, all dancing tablet. Never as good as a dedicated e-reader though.

Totally agree.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    For a general purpose tablet, I would probably go for an Android device. The Fire completely locks you into Amazon.

Something you learn from bitter experience. I bought and returned both the HD and HDX. Mind you, being locked into Amazon, might suit some.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the biggest plus of the kids edition is the 'no questions asked' free replacement (for 2 years) of the kids' version if they break it. Quicker than having to use home insurance and no effect on 'no claims' of course. There's Freetime Unlimited for a year which probably works out as decent value. The parental controls are strong and I think that the tablet has a default block on in-app purchases (all other tablets have them turned on by default) which we know from the news are a complete mystery to many parents. But ultimately it's just not much more than the original Fire HD which Amazon pushes as the kid friendly tablet.

Be interesting to see how it compares to Hudl 2 which also features some type of parental controls.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Something you learn from bitter experience. I bought and returned both the HD and HDX. Mind you, being locked into Amazon, might suit some.

Is it even stricter than with Apple? It makes sense, they sell them relatively cheaply and then want you to buy the content from them, too.