Options

Bull (new series with Michael Weatherly) US PACE

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
ep1 - ok I guess. Had elements from the Lie To Me series. But where THAT series was frickin awesome and I've marathoned it a number of times and will do so again, going by this opening ep, THIS series looks like being a single-time-watcher and one I won't mind missing. Will give it a couple more eps just to see if anything wowzerie reveals itself, but at the mo I just this to be a meh.

Comments

• Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Git a big share in the ratings though, could be around for a while.
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One that needs a few episodes for me to decide if its a keeper or not.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK. Nothing earth shatteringly original but there's possibly enough there to raise it above yet another legal procedural where our hero wins every case.
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked this quite a bit. But I am a little unsure of how many stories they can come up with where the main character is a Jury consultant.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    This was one of the shows I had hope for, but the reviews for this are so bad that i'm not even going to give it a chance.

According to Rotten Tomatoes it has a 25% rating from critics, with only 46% of viewers saying they liked it (Link), and is ranked 32 out of 32 so far this TV season (Link)

Still it got a 2.2 rating, almost all shows drop in their second episode. This one may have been so badly received that it goes into freefall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I'd say always give a show at least one ep if it has even a speck of something that might interest you. Personally I'd grown tired of DeNozzo(?) as a character about 5 seasons before he left so am probably incapable of warming to him on any other show.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^ I'd say always give a show at least one ep if it has even a speck of something that might interest you. Personally I'd grown tired of DeNozzo(?) as a character about 5 seasons before he left so am probably incapable of warming to him on any other show.

I'm with you there and again he doesn't have the gravitas to hold his own show in such a way I feel. Loved him originally in Dark Angel by got so tired of him on NCIS.

Think its going to be a very pale imitation of things like Lie to me and Mentalist, even Forever and without a charismatic lead there is no hope. I call cancelled.
  • Options
    Raye1774Raye1774 Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ep1 - ok I guess. Had elements from the Lie To Me series. But where THAT series was frickin awesome and I've marathoned it a number of times and will do so again, going by this opening ep, THIS series looks like being a single-time-watcher and one I won't mind missing. Will give it a couple more eps just to see if anything wowzerie reveals itself, but at the mo I just this to be a meh.

I loved Lie to Me Roth was brilliant in it and the show had a really good premise. Not sure what to think of Bull just yet. As with all new shows I will give it the recommended (though by whom I have no idea) four-episode test. If I am still feeling 'meh' about it after those four then I will give it the burial my judgement feel it deserves. There are so many new shows this year that I won't exactly be short of stuff to decide about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some shows I can tell after the pilot that they're not for me. And others I just need the pilot to know I'll be in until cancellation.

Then there the meh shows. The ones whose pilot didn't wow me but I found it mildly interesting, or there is a cast member I like seeing on tv, which will keep the show on my towatch list but one I'll watch after I've seen the ones I really like. Such a meh show might be upgraded to wow or kick out if meh turns to bleh or i just forget to watch it for a couple of weeks amd cant be assed to catch up.

Maybe this wow/bleh decision comes at the 4 ep mark. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second episode was OK but I do get the feeling that it could get repetitive very soon if every episode has the same formula.
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaimesw wrote: »
    One that needs a few episodes for me to decide if its a keeper or not.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Second episode was OK but I do get the feeling that it could get repetitive very soon if every episode has the same formula.

As I said before, needed a few episodes, but I only watched two, and like you say. that was enough to make my mind up. Too repetitive. So given up on this one already.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Di Nozzo (?) as a character was annoying throughout his time on NCIS. You'd start to warm to him and then he'd do something so infuriating or his character would be a constant pain in the proverbial that you wanted him gone. It was a cycle repeated many times over the years.
  • Options
    G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, this was why I got tired of Numbers and Lie To Me.
    You can only describe how it works so many times.
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already seemed repetitive after the second episode: defense lawyer complains that they don't need help, client relents; then stalk vulnerable jurors, manipulate them with street magic, not guilty, the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ep3 - maybe this show is growing on me a bit. Not enough to consider it rewatchable, but enough to have it on my to-watch schedule as something inoffensive and unbraintaxing to watch.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With some shows they stick to a fairly rigid and tight formula and their success is derived from the feeling that they create in the emotions of the viewer rather than relying on variety and complexity of the stories being told. I think this show is of that type and I think it is already establishing itself in that mode very well.

The Incredible Hulk always turned green twice but we loved it because we related to the fury. Ghost Whisperer always resolved the issue between the living and the dead but we loved it because the sentimentality always made us cry.

With shows like this, if ever they get worried about sameness and go off piste, that is usually when they go off the rails and lose their USP and their popularity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ep3 - maybe this show is growing on me a bit. Not enough to consider it rewatchable, but enough to have it on my to-watch schedule as something inoffensive and unbraintaxing to watch.

That's a fair point. Just look how many zillions of CSI episodes were churned out with essentially the same plot. If a procedural is done well then you know what you are going to get so you can just switch your brain off for 40-odd minutes with no complex ongoing story arcs to follow and it doesn't matter if you occasionally miss an episode.

However, I'd still like to see a little more character development in the supporting cast as they still seem a little anonymous.
  • Options
    Forum Member

For me that's Conviction on my list so far 2 eps in, not sure Bull will be sustainable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    For me that's Conviction on my list so far 2 eps in, not sure Bull will be sustainable
    methinks I ain't alone in waiting/wanting to see what BOTH shows do when they take the case of a guilty person. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »

I'm willing to give Conviction a chance (even if it's just for the lovely Ms Atwell) but I'm not yet convinced by it. The 5 day time limit for each case just seems so artificial and needless. At least it's better than the dire Notorious which I have already dropped.

I enjoyed ep3 of Bull. Nice take on the Serial podcast and it was good to see Sarah Steele again who was one of my favourite recurring actors in the Good Wife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm willing to give Conviction a chance (even if it's just for the lovely Ms Atwell) but I'm not yet convinced by it. The 5 day time limit for each case just seems so artificial and needless. At least it's better than the dire Notorious which I have already dropped.

I enjoyed ep3 of Bull. Nice take on the Serial podcast and it was good to see Sarah Steele again who was one of my favourite recurring actors in the Good Wife.

I normally give things to episode 4 but I love Hayley Atwell so am willing to see where this goes for a few extra.

Got episode 3 of Bull to watch yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show will never be something I rewatch but it had defn found a place on my towatch list.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up to episode 5 now and I have to say I'm really enjoying it, the whole sussing out of the jury I find fascinating and I'm really enjoying the lead character. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show will never be something I rewatch but it had defn found a place on my towatch list.

It's a fairly lightweight undemanding watch so I'm sticking with it for now. It's very predictable though and could do with a little more variation. It wouldn't hurt them to lose a case once in a while.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fairly lightweight undemanding watch so I'm sticking with it for now. It's very predictable though and could do with a little more variation. It wouldn't hurt them to lose a case once in a while.

How many have you watched?