Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion 42 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    He had a chance to continue a UFC career 12 months ago when he signed a 3 year deal with WWE. So maybe somebody should ask why he chose WWE
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    There's a difference between wrestling and MMA, one is real one is not. For many athletes out there they do what they do because they love it, not for the money. With Brock Lesnar it doesn't matter which one he goes with, he will make millions either way. Brock didn't join WWE again at the height of his MMA career, he joined after recovering from a serious health scare and rightly didn't wanna get back into MMA for health reasons.

But like Shawn Michaels and his supposed back injury, time can be a great healer and if he feels like he can still go at a high level at this UFC and WINS his fight, the thought has to cross his mind about doing it more often and if it happened once it might happen again, then he might win again, then he thinks well i might aswell keep going and going. Money doesn't come into it.

Or to keep it in wrestling terms, it's like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair going to TNA. Why did they go there really? To be on TV. To wrestle. The money was good yes but the money was always gonna be good. When you're at the level of those two and likewise Brock Lesnar....of course the money is gonna be good so since the money is good anyway, why are you really doing it? For the love of doing it. Look at Ric Flair on TV now, do you think if Vince gave him a choice to wrestle or manage he would be managing? Of course he wouldn't. He would be wrestling, why? The money? Nope. The money is already good, why? Cause that's what he loves doing.

If any questions should be asked it should be after UFC 200 and if Lesnar wins, surely any legitimate sports reporter would be asking him why he's going back to wrestling and not continuing with UFC? And only he can answer that.
  • Options
    Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks really cool, another amazing job! :)
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    The most exciting thing to happen in the WWE in ages is one of their wrestlers fighting on another companies PPV. That is the main concern for me if I am Vince today.

Maybe try make Raw more exciting again
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Twitter. Vince's plan for the finish of the infamous Inoki vs Ali match. It's amazing.
    https://twitter.com/lawradio/status/739499654660792321
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Saw this on Twitter. Vince's plan for the finish of the infamous Inoki vs Ali match. It's amazing.
    https://twitter.com/lawradio/status/739499654660792321

As a boxing fan, I have to say that whole match was one of the most embarrassing things ever to happen to Ali. One of those events you wish never happened and pretend never did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu64 wrote: »
    The most exciting thing to happen in the WWE in ages is one of their wrestlers fighting on another companies PPV. That is the main concern for me if I am Vince today.

Maybe try make Raw more exciting again

I blame the lack of competition. It's made WWE complacent. They don't try out new things, mix up the formula or take a risk because they don't need to. They know they have the monopoly and, as much as people complain about the product, they still watch the show, buy the merchandise and attend the events (the majority of them, anyway).

The best bet we have of WWE becoming interesting again is the upcoming brand split. I hate to be optimistic because WWE often lets me down, but there is a real opportunity here to make the talent matter, bring some new life into the product and just make things interesting again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harris_07 wrote: »
    I blame the lack of competition. It's made WWE complacent. They don't try out new things, mix up the formula or take a risk because they don't need to. They know they have the monopoly and, as much as people complain about the product, they still watch the show, buy the merchandise and attend the events (the majority of them, anyway).

The best bet we have of WWE becoming interesting again is the upcoming brand split. I hate to be optimistic because WWE often lets me down, but there is a real opportunity here to make the talent matter, bring some new life into the product and just make things interesting again.

Agree about the brand spilt and I really hope it changes everything but I just can't see much changing as end of the day it is the very same creative team working on both shows. Also the opening promo on Raw last week which was trying to big up the brand spilt was so so bad.

Like you say though, people will go and buy all things WWE no matter what. Look at WM this year, 100,000 went despite Raw sucking for months before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree about the brand spilt and I really hope it changes everything but I just can't see much changing as end of the day it is the very same creative team working on both shows. Also the opening promo on Raw last week which was trying to big up the brand spilt was so so bad.

Like you say though, people will go and buy all things WWE no matter what. Look at WM this year, 100,000 went despite Raw sucking for months before.
    I thought there were two different creative teams. That's why SD came across as a much more interesting and enjoyable show during the first draft era.

It's actually quite disgusting how WWE can get away with being so bad yet they still earn a profit. Fair enough, Vince has worked hard to build the reputation but it's very sad at how bulletproof they've become. Aside from a major disaster, can't see things going too badly for WWE any time soon.

As weird as it might sound, I wish WWE would actually suffer from putting out such a weak, repetitive and bland product. After all, it's us that pay for it and the product is no where as good as it could be.

In an ideal world, if they carried on like this, they'd be taken to court and have their name changed from WWE. They have no right to call themselves entertaining. The product really annoys me, but I feel especially sorry for those who sit through three hours of Raw live every week.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will only work with true competition.

Separate wrestlers, creative and production teams. Vince running raw and shane/hhh smackdown.

Not the same as outside competition, but never underestimate ego, bragging rights
    and personal pride.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Well I wasn't expecting that. Not something I thought would happen and there isn't a chance Vince isn't getting something back. Very imteresting

Ronda Rousey vs Stephanie Mcmahon at Wrestlemania next year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Even Batista has a better MMA record than Punk.

And yet again a part-timer comes into a company and takes main slots away from veterans like Punk. :-D

Pipebomb time.

In all seriousness, good luck to Lesnar. While he hasn't done UFC in a while he should still be good hopefully and even if not WWE will still have him back with open arms. He's not really got anything to lose.

Now watch him win at UFC then get pinned by Reigns at Summerslam

Punk was just a whiny little shit who bitched and cryed until he got his way and got a lengthy run which still wasent enough. He should be grateful they kept the title on him for over a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a boxing fan, I have to say that whole match was one of the most embarrassing things ever to happen to Ali. One of those events you wish never happened and pretend never did.

Inoki is regarded as a Legend all around the world but he just seemed to stay on his back doing kicks because he didnt want to get knocked out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Enzo Amore was in the studio this past week, apparently working on new music. He posted the following:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13248827_1215193458491501_1680783924_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI1ODE3NDYxMjIwOTc2MTAzNg%3D%3D.2

So obviously they are splitting them up for the brand then.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    This is a really good article on the decline of NXT

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/06/01/nxt-takeover-the-end-column/

It's a good article, but it's a bit too pedantic and critical in my honest opinion. Especially considering it should just be a pre taped feeder promotion. The slew of impressive names that have arrived in the last two to three years is incredible. Additionally, the lead writer of the brand was moved to Smackdown in March, after spending two years writing for NXT.

When you've got guys like Joe, Nakamura and Aries to work with, there is bound to be fatigue from both the creative team and the audience due to being overwrought with dream match scenarios.

That is why it might be best for the company to harvest the momentum of NXT at this stage, call up 80% of the current television roster and rebrand as NXT: SmackDown. Heck, they could even organically turn the title into the NXT World Championship, rather than create a new world championship.

What happens to NXT? There is an argument it shouldn't be this polished and the likes of Hugh Knox and King Constantine should be getting some valuable experience in front of the cameras. Even if that means some screw up's. Afterall, lot's of guys worked the wrong gimmick or mediocre matches before they hit their stride.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »
    It will only work with true competition.

Separate wrestlers, creative and production teams. Vince running raw and shane/hhh smackdown.

Not the same as outside competition, but never underestimate ego, bragging rights
    and personal pride.

I agree. If they have the same creative team, then they completely avoid the benefit of the brand split. WWE desperately need to distinguish between the two brands.

If I remember correctly, Raw used to be more promo-based whereas SD was more match-based. I found that that formula worked well. Those who wanted to watch the promos had Raw and those who were interested in seeing matches had SD. I definitely preferred SD.
  • Options
    Sinister2010Sinister2010 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    So obviously they are splitting them up for the brand then.

Jesus I hope not its way too soon to split up Cass has potential due to his size but he is pretty green on the mic compared to Enzo Cass needs Enzo more than Enzo needs Cass.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus I hope not its way too soon to split up Cass has potential due to his size but he is pretty green on the mic compared to Enzo Cass needs Enzo more than Enzo needs Cass.

Being with enzo certainly helps cass build his character. On his own he could drift into generic big guy territory.

I think enzo needs cass just as much though. He isn't good enough as a pure wrestler and could end up as manager/comedy wrestler.

Together they cover each others weaknesses.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. If they have the same creative team, then they completely avoid the benefit of the brand split. WWE desperately need to distinguish between the two brands.

If I remember correctly, Raw used to be more promo-based whereas SD was more match-based. I found that that formula worked well. Those who wanted to watch the promos had Raw and those who were interested in seeing matches had SD. I definitely preferred SD.

And those who were interested in tag matches loved SD. :-D

I always preferred Smackdown - always felt it was the better brand for seeing emerging talent move up the card whereas on Raw talent was often just fed to the big names and left to rot.

Plus I loved some of thd gimmicks SD used to have - Deuce n Domino, Boogeyman, King Booker, Simon Dean, Sylvan Ambassador of Quebec. Just always found it more fun than Raw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    And those who were interested in tag matches loved SD. :-D

I always preferred Smackdown - always felt it was the better brand for seeing emerging talent move up the card whereas on Raw talent was often just fed to the big names and left to rot.

Plus I loved some of thd gimmicks SD used to have - Deuce n Domino, Boogeyman, King Booker, Simon Dean, Sylvan Ambassador of Quebec. Just always found it more fun than Raw
    Good thing Taker was always around. :p

I agree, seeing the younger/newer talent establish themselves on the blue brand made me feel really happy and proud of them when they made themselves relevant.

SD was always more interesting with its characters. Raw felt so forced and try-hard comedy rejects. Santino and Cryme Tyme come to mind. SD had its fair share of comedy characters too, but they had other dimensions in their characters and didn't just rely on comedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be awesome if Brock went on to win the UFC Heavyweight Championship again and then 2 nights later walked out at Raw with the belt on. He could then go on to win the WWE World Title.

Of course this would all still happen before Punk has 1 fight :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be awesome if Brock went on to win the UFC Heavyweight Championship again and then 2 nights later walked out at Raw with the belt on. He could then go on to win the WWE World Title.

Of course this would all still happen before Punk has 1 fight :D

England will win the World Cup before CM Punk makes his UFC debut:D.
  • Options
    PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    That looks really cool, another amazing job! :)

Thank you. I'm glad you like it. :)

For anyone who might want it. It's available as a t-shirt (and other things) from here.

:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Even available in toilet rolls and towels:D?
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Really FMKK? Can you show me the documents which show that? Or if you don't have the documents can you show me Vince McMahon or Brock Lesnar mentioning his contract where that is confirmed?

Or is it a bit like WCW losing $60 million in one year? Another claim online where there is no paperwork or documentation to back it up.

You have no idea of the mindset of Brock Lesnar. Same with CM Punk infact it doesn't have to be fighting, it could be any sport, anytime an athlete goes from one sport to another they accept things might not work out and they do it out of love. If Brock Lesnar went back there and won his fight there is no doubt that in HIS mind he would think he could do it all the time again and I wouldn't be surprised if he did go back. Not cause of the money but because he thinks he can still go at a competitive level and still do it. I'm not saying he will walk out on WWE but if he can make a career in UFC as a legit fighter then why go to WWE, a show where they piss their pants the minute a wrestler bleeds.

Hypocritical to tell somebody they don't know the mindset of Brock Lesnar when you, yourself, claimed to know what he'll do next and why.
This discussion has been closed.