this is us nbc pace

chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
Forum Member
hi all,

this started last night and central premise is people who share the same birthday but I'm saying no more in case i spoil for those who have not watched yet.

Watched the first episode and this was my responsive after finishing:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THE FEELS :o:o

will definitely be watching and can't wait for more what did everyone think anyway?

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought this was the Kristen Bell series, but no it's a different one. With your glowing [can't think of the word] methinks I'll give it at least a single shot (no likies on the cast list so I gave it a miss)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not normally a fan of these dramatic tv series. Usually an action/comedy/thriller one, but this really captured me.

I loved it. The story, the characters, the actors, the family essence and that twist at the end which i didn't see coming. I'l be watching. So far, so good. The two new shows I have tried out I have enjoyed (the other being The Good Place)

I echo your reaction at the end. I did feel like I needed to punch a wall or go for a pint to feel "manly" again :o:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer for this didn't look my kind of thing but at this time of year I'm willing to give almost anything a go. The pilot actually delivers a decent story even if the "twists" were fairly obvious and the performances were solid throughout. I'm just not sure there's enough there to keep me interested in the long-run.
  • chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    in case anyone is interested channel 4 have acquired this is us for broadcast but no air date yet
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :blush:Oh this is really good. Seeing Milo's butt in the first 20 seconds of the pilot is a bonus too.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this, only gave it a look because of this thread, so thanks OP.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in case anyone is interested channel 4 have acquired this is us for broadcast but no air date yet

And here's what I predict will happen:

1. The first season won't be shown until autumn 2017.

2. Cue a lot of impatient moaning on DS.

3. If successful in the US and the show is renewed for the next 3 seasons, CH4 will show the first two seasons. However, come season 3, and it will be shunted to some ungodly stoopid hour before being completely shifted to E4/More4.

4. Cue a lot of frustrated moaning on DS.

5. For Season 4 Sky will outbid CH4 for the rights for their Sky Atlantic vehicle. Seasons 1-3 will be box-setted just in time for season 4 2019-2020 airing.

6. Cue a lot of peeved-off moaning in DS.

7. RIP/Tumbleweed "This is Us - UK Pace" thread. Hello "This is Us - Sky Atlantic (UK Pace)" thread.

8. Season 4 turns out to be the season most viewers think the show has jumped the shark: "It isn't as good as seasons 1-2."; "It hasn't been the same since (insert name) actor left the show:("; "Why don't they kill off X-character?"; "I find Y-character sooooo annoying!!", "They changed the showrunners. That's why it's so s**t now>:("

9. TPTB announce cancellation of show. Season 5 will be the last.

10. Cue a lot mixed sentiments moaning/non-moaning in DS. Basically, this lot have either given up, don't care, so glad it's been put to death because it was getting to crapola-levels of plot & characterisation, are super >:(>:( angry, live in deluded hope that some other network will pick it up, or are thoroughly fed up with the way this show and the fans have been treated.

11. Season 5 ends in a pointless cliffhanger.

12. Cue WTF??! moaning from the small remnant of diehard fans on the rarely visited "This is Us - Sky Atlantic (UK Pace)" thread.

13. People who have suffered this kind of treatment (aka pts 1- 12) over and over and over again in the last decade smile wirily and knowingly to themselves. These are the people, bearing a cynicism toward the tv executive decision-making process from the past 10+ years, who have learnt and wised up. They buy/rent the box-set and binge watch over a bank holiday weekend. Now it has been pulled and judging from the reviews and twitter-talk, they know what to expect from this show: a previously good, pointless cliffhanger cancelled drama. And they are not disappointed because what they get is exactly what it says on the tin.
  • tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing the rest of it and how they make it work and what happens with the characters we've met. I did call the twist before the reveal. Very heartwarming and well written/acted.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    And here's what I predict will happen:

Normally I'd agree with you but C4 is well on its way to meltdown and privatisation next year so all the chickens that you've previously safely counted may be rather more difficult to find. Anything could happen in the next half year!
    Forum Member
    this is us has been picked up for an 18 episode first season incase anyone is interested. I'm personally ecstatic :):)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is us has been picked up for an 18 episode first season incase anyone is interested. I'm personally ecstatic :):)

It all depends on what direction they take it in. It could be something really special but it could also turn into a family soap. On the basis of the pilot I'm happy to give it a few more episodes to find out.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    well I really enjoyed episode 2, bit shocked at the ending...assumed both the parents had died for some reason
  • hr100hr100 Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I loved it, wasn't fussed after seeing the trailer but I was hooked from the moment I started watching it.

Watched the first two episodes now and am really enjoying it. Oh and I didn't see the twist at all
    Forum Member
    is anyone actually watching this? im loving the series, although im still struggling sometimes to find the comedy part