BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Artemesia wrote: »
    If you can't taste the food, that is not a proper curry. If you eat genuinely prepared food, even if it is Vindaloo hot, you can taste the ingredients. You are talking about the anglicised versions of curry which bear no resemblance to the real article.
    I just love the curry, not that bothered whats inside it.:D
    In my experience, perennials will be all right planted out now. They are perennials, so they go through our winter and frosts anyway. But the seasons are kinder down here, to be fair.

If they have a good case, it won't be because they changed the location to Essex or used some of the same cast, neither of which would breach copyright.

It's only in very hot curries that I can't taste the food. That's no pleasure to me, but it's possible that regular curry eaters adjust to the heat, so their tastebuds aren't totally slaughtered. I love curry, and I love the taste of the food in them; surely it's about finding the right balance between the heat and the flavour? The correct amount of heat will actually bring out the flavour in certain foods, I think.
    These are young plants which would be killed by a frost.

They only become hardy plants when full grown.
    These are babies, and can't go outside till the last spring frost has passed, which the forecast says early May.

I just lie the flavour, not much bothered about the meat/veg etc, if i wanted to taste that i wouldn't buy curry.
    Forum Member
    Who would i bribe to get a seat on this train?.:D

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/01/picture-of-the-day-busiest-train-ever/
    Forum Member
    Aww how cute is this little one hiding in the flowers.:d

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/02/picture-of-the-day-awww-yeah-flowers/
    Forum Member
    I hope Halla put her name on hers would hate it to get mixed up with mine.:D

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/05/picture-of-the-day-festival-of-lanterns-in-chiang-mai-thailand/
    Forum Member
    I only told the gardener to take the weeds out,:D

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/06/picture-of-the-day-the-runaway-tree/
    Forum Member
  • dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hicky wrote: »

These are young plants which would be killed by a frost.

They only become hardy plants when full grown.
    These are babies, and can't go outside till the last spring frost has passed, which the forecast says early May.

In my experience, young plants can go out now if they have been hardened off. The only circumstance in which I can imagine they'd be killed by frost is if they'd been forced forward in the greenhouse or in a nursery/suppliers. This may be the case with yours. But there is no reason for a young perennial to die if it is the same size at the supplier as it would be if it had been in the ground all winter.
    I just lie the flavour, not much bothered about the meat/veg etc, if i wanted to taste that i wouldn't buy curry.

If I was making a book of the sayings of Hicky, I'd put this in it.

Heat is not a flavour, it is an enrichment of flavour. If you like the flavour of a curry, even if you disregard the vegetables or meat in it, it is the flavour of the spices (we mentioned fenugreek, for example) that you enjoy, not the flavour of the heat itself, so to speak. Heat has no flavour.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    In my experience, young plants can go out now if they have been hardened off. The only circumstance in which I can imagine they'd be killed by frost is if they'd been forced forward in the greenhouse or in a nursery/suppliers. This may be the case with yours. But there is no reason for a young perennial to die if it is the same size at the supplier as it would be if it was in the ground all winter.

Heat is not a flavour, it is an enrichment of flavour. If you like the flavour of a curry, even if you disregard the vegetables or meat in it, it is the flavour of the spices (we mentioned fenugreek, for example) that you enjoy, not the flavour of the heat itself, so to speak.
    These are baby plugs they sent me, grown in 1" pots but they come in plastic holding container specially made for these sized plants.

I have got them all in 9cm pots now and when they recover from being repotted i can put them out on nice days else they can stay in my temp controlled summer house.
    Forum Member
    In my experience, young plants can go out now if they have been hardened off. The only circumstance in which I can imagine they'd be killed by frost is if they'd been forced forward in the greenhouse or in a nursery/suppliers. This may be the case with yours. But there is no reason for a young perennial to die if it is the same size at the supplier as it would be if it had been in the ground all winter.

Heat is not a flavour, it is an enrichment of flavour. If you like the flavour of a curry, even if you disregard the vegetables or meat in it, it is the flavour of the spices (we mentioned fenugreek, for example) that you enjoy, not the flavour of the heat itself, so to speak. Heat has no flavour.
    It's the spices i like, need some heat or i'm not into it.
    Don't like it too hot as thats painful and not what i want.
    But the contests apart from the spices doesn't bother me as i like all food so it doesn't matter whats in the curry.
  • LittsisLittsis Posts: 11,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »
    I bruise the seeds slightly before adding about 2 tablespoonsful to a bottle of oil.
    I don't like creamy curries and usually make mine Madras hot but I can still taste the ingredients.
    Cheers; the nearest I've got to that is making an ointment out of cayenne and olive oil to rub on my bad knees.

I don't like a curry to be too creamy (or sweet), but I'm not averse to a dash of cream, milk, or coconut milk in there. It makes it a very different dish, though.
    I have never tried to include curry as one of my frequently produced foods. I have never enjoyed a home made curry by me or someone else as much as I have enjoyed a take away from a reasonably good quality restaurant. I have never found that the HM ones have as much body as I like. It is not so much the spices i suppose but the ghee or powder that is added or the way the spices are prepared and left to develop before using. But I haven't continued to experiment, certainly now that I am with OH because he regards a non HM madras as his dream dish. I might one day try him with my leg of lamb indian speciality ( a Madhur Jaffrey recipe which i might be able to find).
    Well, you certainly have a full life.:eek:

No wonder you don't do twitter, 140 characters, no way.:D
    O, it's just that occasionally I have a full day, but in between I have some very empty days. :)
    Barracute wrote: »
    Well you have had a full day havent you :confused::)
    Yes,but I might calm things down tomorrow by going to watch Chatham play at home.
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    ’d evening all. Won’t be seeing my son this weekend with the petrol fiasco and Mr G has been booked to fill in at a gig where someone cancelled tomorrow. He sorted out a website for a group and they want to thank him by paying for a meal for us at the local hostelry.
    What about at easter? Any chance then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the contests apart from the spices doesn't bother me as i like all food so it doesn't matter whats in the curry.

I'm similar in that I pretty much like curries of all different meats and vegetables; but that isn't to say I don't savour the differences between them, the differences in flavour and texture. And even discounting the taste of the meats, I can make ten different curries that taste ten different ways, by varying the spices and the ingredients of the sauces. (I'm no connoisseur--but I know that much.)
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aww how cute is this little one hiding in the flowers.:d

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/02/picture-of-the-day-awww-yeah-flowers/

Even cuter than my pygmy marmoset and baby.
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Littsis wrote: »
    I have never tried to include curry as one of my frequently produced foods. I have never enjoyed a home made curry by me or someone else as much as I have enjoyed a take away from a reasonably good quality restaurant. I have never found that the HM ones have as much body as I like. It is not so much the spices i suppose but the ghee or powder that is added or the way the spices are prepared and left to develop before using. But I haven't continued to experiment, certainly now that I am with OH because he regards a non HM madras as his dream dish. I might one day try him with my leg of lamb indian speciality ( a Madhur Jaffrey recipe which i might be able to find).

O, it's just that occasionally I have a full day, but in between I have some very empty days. :)

Yes,but I might calm things down tomorrow by going to watch Chatham play at home.

What about at easter? Any chance then?

It}s possible, but the traffic is usually a nightmare. There is another weekend after that before we go away and then we have loads happening. I’ll see how it goes, my son seems reasonably jolly at the moment so hasn’t said much more about really wanting to see me. We will be seeing him in June if we don’t manage to get down before then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course I now know from Hicky that in my area I can't be certain that the risk of frost is over until after the end of April. But I can't wait until then to start adding colour to my courtyard of pots. i buy on price and known success in my pots with the addition of some plants which are already flowering and may not last long but mean that I have some taller colour. Soooo I have this week planted one sweet pea, one lupin, one wallflower, one clump of tulips, 10 geraniums, two triple asiatic lilies, 6 pansies, one primula, 1 aubretia, 2 violas, one dianthus. All I am waiting to buy are busy lizzies, the new guinea ones, which are so bright and productive and successful in my courtyard pots, baskets, and wall pockets. BTW I bought two small wicker hanging baskets from B&Q filled by 6 pansies each for only £5 each. I couldn't get the pansies alone of the same size and colour variety for less. Nearer to God in the garden than anywhere else on earth.
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 242,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would i bribe to get a seat on this train?.:D

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/01/picture-of-the-day-busiest-train-ever/

Makes my morning commute look a whole lot better :D:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only told the gardener to take the weeds out,:D

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/06/picture-of-the-day-the-runaway-tree/

That is one clever tree :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know what you mean--nothing beats a proper Indian from a restaurant/takeaway. On the other hand, a home-made curry is an inexpensive and easy dish, good for the economy. I use very cheap meat in it--chuck steak or stewing lamb, for example, which become succulent as the curry simmers. I use many ways to thicken curries, though I don't know if any are correct: onion, or onion powder, does a good job, as do various forms of coconut, or a dash of xanthan gum. I've even used a dash of mashed potato powder in the past. If you cook long enough, the sauce reduces to a nice thickness anyway, I find--too much sometimes, if I don't pay attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow indeed, what a striking image, you'd almost think it had posed for that shot :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It}s possible, but the traffic is usually a nightmare. There is another weekend after that before we go away and then we have loads happening. I’ll see how it goes, my son seems reasonably jolly at the moment so hasn’t said much more about really wanting to see me. We will be seeing him in June if we don’t manage to get down before then.

O gosh yes, I had forgotten that most people travel about at Easter. I don't consider going to Wales any more then, as OH's mother died, and as I can't drive the distance with OH in the car without falling asleep at the wheel, and I don't visit relatives in Gloucs anymore.
    And Mr G is so busy. I suppose if June is the soonest then as usual, wives and mothers compromise. Hearing about your patience is a good lesson to me to make the most of Rhys's company while he is here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I now know from Hicky that in my area I can't be certain that the risk of frost is over until after the end of April. But I can't wait until then to start adding colour to my courtyard of pots. i buy on price and known success in my pots with the addition of some plants which are already flowering and may not last long but mean that I have some taller colour. Soooo I have this week planted one sweet pea, one lupin, one wallflower, one clump of tulips, 10 geraniums, two triple asiatic lilies, 6 pansies, one primula, 1 aubretia, 2 violas, one dianthus. All I am waiting to buy are busy lizzies, the new guinea ones, which are so bright and productive and successful in my courtyard pots, baskets, and wall pockets. BTW I bought two small wicker hanging baskets from B&Q filled by 6 pansies each for only £5 each. I couldn't get the pansies alone of the same size and colour variety for less. Nearer to God in the garden than anywhere else on earth.

Yes, I'm going to be planting a load of New Guinea Busy Lizzies next month. They love it down here, which is warm and wet, because it reminds them of home. They don't mind a bit of shade either, which my garden is afflicted with from all the trees around it. I'm soaking a bowl of sweet pea seeds at this very moment.
    Forum Member
    Even cuter than my pygmy marmoset and baby.
    I think so.:D
    Makes my morning commute look a whole lot better :D:
    That's how they loaded the wagons and trucks in Singapore, frightening.
    That is one clever tree :D
    That's a big root, would hate to transplant it.:D
    Wow indeed, what a striking image, you'd almost think it had posed for that shot :D
    What a beautiful bird, how on earth could anything or anyone have created that?:eek:
    Forum Member
    Just got my first ever wrapping off a Cadbury's Cream Egg in one piece.
    Made up.:D
This discussion has been closed.