BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Hicky;57087730]Myself i prefer the mask with some missed pieces of spud in it, My O/H likes it 100% mashed/creamed whatever you call it, with pepper and buttery and with milk, she's so fussy.:D[/QUOTE]

Me too, Hicky.! My lumpy mash gets rave reviews within the family, probably because they were brought up on it and knew no different.:p One of my grandsons used to be very picky eater when small and once burst into tears in a restaurant when confronted with gloopy potatoes and wailed " I want PROPER mashed potatoes with PROPER lumps in, like Grandma's "........:o
    I can't stomach the wallpaper paste stuff, the texture makes me heave,,,,
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,639
    Forum Member
    Artemesia wrote: »
    I have a gaping hole in my knowledge when it comes to science and geography, unless the science has a medical bias. I am useless at the kind of maths questions that crop up, too...

Many of the maths questions on UC go straight over my head - I have no idea what branch of maths it is, or what type of answer they require - as in, numerical, an explanation in words, theorem, whatever - absolutely no clue. It makes me angry with myself although I don't know why it should as I wasn't even allowed to sit GCSE maths, I was so appalling.
    acker wrote: »
    Morning sr :)...this spring cleaning thing is going to take a few days ...im seriously wondering where it all comes from :eek:...I have to balance todays bin bagging and dusting along with Cheltenham which starts today ...big distraction right there :o

I'm so impressed with all this de-cluttering and spring cleaning - we must be catching the bug from each other. Or it could be the weather, we're all emerging after the winter like Ratty and Mole et al!
    Artemesia wrote: »
    Me too, Hicky.! My lumpy mash gets rave reviews within the family, probably because they were brought up on it and knew no different.:p One of my grandsons used to be very picky eater when small and once burst into tears in a restaurant when confronted with gloopy potatoes and wailed " I want PROPER mashed potatoes with PROPER lumps in, like Grandma's "........:o
    I can't stomach the wallpaper paste stuff, the texture makes me heave,,,,

Me too, the texture is most unpleasant in the mouth.

Morning all - I was going to have a quiet day today, sorting and de-cluttering, but people keep emailing and phoning, amking me concentrate and make decisions:rolleyes:
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hicky wrote: »
    Myself i prefer the mask with some missed pieces of spud in it, My O/H likes it 100% mashed/creamed whatever you call it, with pepper and buttery and with milk, she's so fussy.:D

I dont like lumps but then again dont keep mashing it until it turns to sludge, its got to have some get and go about it :D
    Forum Member
    I dont like lumps but then again dont keep mashing it until it turns to sludge, its got to have some get and go about it :D

I don't like lumps either, but the consistency needs to be just right - and to think there are people in the real world who think that mashed potato is a doddle:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    I don't like lumps either, but the consistency needs to be just right - and to think there are people in the real world who think that mashed potato is a doddle:D

Yes its got to stand up on the plate as opposed to looking like lava on the move :D
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    Yes its got to stand up on the plate as opposed to looking like lava on the move :D

Yes! That's a fair description.:)

I think we might have got as much mileage from mash as we did from chips. ........
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I'm not much of a swimmer altough I got my bronze life savers:cool:

Whoo hoo found this while googling

Dolphin Development Squad:cool::cool: thats the best name for a group ever
    I got gold. :) I was awfully slow to learn though.
    Morning SR.:)

Butterfly is easy but you have to be strong, it's just 2 armed Crawl.
    Breaststroke is easy if you know how and 99% of people don't know how to do it properly but either way the strain on the knee joints is the problem, children
    under say 14 don't have their joints well enough formed to use them so much as in club swimming, if they do too much they will do untold harm

Morning Balders.:)
    If you keep your head out of the water when doing breaststroke you are doing it completely wrong.
    The end of the forward stroke has your head flat in the water, the pull with your arms lifts your head up to breath.

About 10% of people can do the breaststroke leg kick properly and it's a natural movement, not many every achieve it.

Morning Flora.:)
    Same as me, it has to be right.:D

Morning minkski.:)
    Yep, it's yappers anonymous here.

Bollocks bollocks bollocks! Butterfly easy? No it isnt, it is the most difficult stroke. As for breaststroke, you are right that is difficult to get rid of the kick fault, and that as an art form and should be aesthetically pleasing but as a mode of transport people get along just fine with or without a perfect leg movement.
    Forum Member
    And butterfly is nowhere near "two armed crawl" :rolleyes: The movement is completely different.
    Forum Member
    Back Crawl, or Backstroke as it is now is the easiest, if you keep your head flat on the water you bum will stay up as well, you can breath when you want really as your head doesn't go under the water but the back of your head should be in the water.

Front Crawl is taught to beginners, but it's not quite so easy to get the breathing right, your head should be in the water and just tilted to one side on the breathing stroke.

Didn't know they were different?
    Any fool can swim on their back but the skill is in not looking like a drowning fly in the washing up bowl.
    Hicky can you swim?:p
    Myself i prefer the mask with some missed pieces of spud in it, My O/H likes it 100% mashed/creamed whatever you call it, with pepper and buttery and with milk, she's so fussy.:D
    My mash is lumpy too. :cool:
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I cant help but be drawn to Ackertac in the 5-15 at Cheltenham :o...just had a big £2 betfair minimum on it at 16/1 ...sometimes you just have to innit :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant help but be drawn to Ackertac in the 5-15 at Cheltenham :o...just had a big £2 betfair minimum on it at 16/1 ...sometimes you just have to innit :D

You couldnt not do it could you, fingers crossed :D
    Forum Member
    I got gold. :) I was awfully slow to learn though.

Bollocks bollocks bollocks! Butterfly easy? No it isnt, it is the most difficult stroke. As for breaststroke, you are right that is difficult to get rid of the kick fault, and that as an art form and should be aesthetically pleasing but as a mode of transport people get along just fine with or without a perfect leg movement.

It's well known that butterfly is the most difficult stroke to learn and to execute properly - the rhythm is unnatural and it takes a lot of strength. My dad was a swiming instructor for years and he only every attempted butterfly with the strongest kids, and even then not many of them mastered it - I certainly didn't, I hated it!
    Forum Member

You can't ignore that Acker - let us know how he does:cool:
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not much of a swimmer altough I got my bronze life savers

Whoo hoo found this while googling

Dolphin Development Squad thats the best name for a group ever
    I got gold. (boast boast). :D
    minkski wrote: »
    Morning all!

Blimey! I go for a few days, and you've moved to a new thread! :o
    Bugger, you found us! :D
    Morning SR.:)

Butterfly is easy but you have to be strong, it's just 2 armed Crawl.

Breaststroke is easy if you know how and 99% of people don't know how to do it properly but either way the strain on the knee joints is the problem, children
    under say 14 don't have their joints well enough formed to use them so much as in club swimming, if they do too much they will do untold harm

Morning Balders.:)
    If you keep your head out of the water when doing breaststroke you are doing it completely wrong.
    The end of the forward stroke has your head flat in the water, the pull with your arms lifts your head up to breath.

About 10% of people can do the breaststroke leg kick properly and it's a natural movement, not many every achieve it.

Morning Flora.:)
    Same as me, it has to be right.:D

Morning minkski.:)
    Yep, it's yappers anonymous here.
    Nonsense, the butterfly stroke is very difficult.
    Most if not all, clubs/schools teach the breaststroke for all learners..

And butterfly is nowhere near "two armed crawl" :rolleyes: The movement is completely different.
    Indeed, it's a very physical stroke, requiring a lot of upper body strength.

Afternoon all. :D
    Forum Member
    minkski wrote: »
    Morning all! :D

Blimey! I go for a few days, and you've moved to a new thread! :o

minks :) just had a quick krul and thought you was worth waving to :D
    Forum Member
    It's well known that butterfly is the most difficult stroke to learn and to execute properly - the rhythm is unnatural and it takes a lot of strength. My dad was a swiming instructor for years and he only every attempted butterfly with the strongest kids, and even then not many of them mastered it - I certainly didn't, I hated it!
    After months of practice and pulled muscles i did it just well enough for the exam and never again. I hated it too.
    Scots rool wrote: »

Nonsense, the butterfly styroke is very difficult.

Afternoon SR :)

I was mortified at being so slow to lean to swim. There was an accident in the swimming baths when i was about five and this caused one foot to be stuck to the bottom of the pool like glue for the next four years. :D
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »

Nonsense, the butterfly styroke is very difficult.

the quickest of " afternoons " sr :D....the mops gone tempororarily missing in action :o...but im still a man on a mission :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After months of practice and pulled muscles i did it just well enough for the exam and never again. I hated it too.

Afternoon SR :)

I was mortified at being so slow to lean to swim. There was an accident in the swimming baths when i was about five and this caused one foot to be stuck to the bottom of the pool like glue for the next four years. :D
    If you get a fright when swimming it can put you off for years. 1st time I ever went swimming (I would be about 8), I started swimming straight away & my sister started screaming I was drowning, & pushed me right under the water. She couldn't bloody swim anyway! :mad::eek: Took me a good 2/3 years to regain my confidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the quickest of " afternoons " sr :D....the mops gone tempororarily missing in action :o...but im still a man on a mission :)
    Hmmmmm..........funny that eh? :p
    Forum Member
    You couldnt not do it could you, fingers crossed :D
    You can't ignore that Acker - let us know how he does:cool:

I,ll be back with doughnuts :D
    Forum Member
    Hi Acker.:)....

Remember the winner of Eurovision a couple of years ago, Lena?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkNbvaUQNk&feature=related

Her phrasing reminded me of something and it plagued me for two years. Found it, yay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YuizLVLL-w&feature=related

I prefer Helen Kane :cool:
    Forum Member
    Hi Acker.:)....

Remember the winner of Eurovision a couple of years ago, Lena?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkNbvaUQNk&feature=related

Her phrasing reminded me of something and it plagued me for two years. Found it, yay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YuizLVLL-w&feature=related

I prefer Helen Kane :cool:

Well d,you know what honey in the hurly burly that is the build up to the Champion Hurdle it was a cool distraction to listen to that Helen Kane song ...lovely :)
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ’d affernoon. People really like my mash, I find the secret it to boil the potatoes just the right amount, drain the water off well and mash them with butter and cream.

… and my favoured swimming stroke is breast-stroke. I find it very difficult to do crawl but my breast stroke is very strong and I can easily beat any of the rest of the family in a race but I don’t get out of breath doing it, just take long slow strokes. I can do butterfly but it is very tiring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I,ll be back with doughnuts :D
    Fudge for me please. :D
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    ’d affernoon. People really like my mash, I find the secret it to boil the potatoes just the right amount, drain the water off well and mash them with butter and cream.

… and my favoured swimming stroke is breast-stroke. I find it very difficult to do crawl but my breast stroke is very strong and I can easily beat any of the rest of the family in a race but I don’t get out of breath doing it, just take long slow strokes. I can do butterfly but it is very tiring.
    I hate 'wet' mash!

I'm rubbish at the butterfly! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »

Yes it seems a lot of effort for little result. Butterfly, not mash. :)
This discussion has been closed.