Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 35)

Comments

• Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    The donkey from Montenegro's video is more attractive than the Georgian to be fair.

I just hope there's no connection between the Montenegrin donkey and the Bosnian donkeys. I'd hate to think he'd left her to raise that foal alone, especially for Rambo Amadeus!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Just did my final presentation of the year and had You & Me swimming around my head as I tried to explain The Male Gaze. Wonderful!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Surprised to see so many people saying Switzerland will qualify- to me it's a sub-par the Highest Height
  • Options
    Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarloJo wrote: »
    Mmhmm! I'm happy to do it this year again although my online attendance is flaky at best - I'll definitely be able to keep track of it slowly though, and update it after each semi final (nothing's stopping me from being home and watching the semis!).

We like traditions on here so go for it if you can. Let's see if anyone can get 10 out of 10 in either or both semi-finals.

On the subject of penny-pinching participants, there's an interview with Litesound (I know) who (bravely) bemoan the lack of help from Belarus TV and have had to fund their participation themselves but if the "other girl" had won, a promotional tour and video were already planned. Pasha from Moldova is also critical of his broadcaster and how he doesn't like his video but it's all the TV company can afford.

I wonder how much each contestant earns from the sale of official Eurovision CD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested to see the songs that I predicted would qualify last year, but I can't find the thread. Who started it? Was it Jo?

EDIT: Did it even have its own thread? Or was it just part of the GD thread?
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marrakech wrote: »
    I'm interested to see the songs that I predicted would qualify last year, but I can't find the thread. Who started it? Was it Jo?

EDIT: Did it even have its own thread? Or was it just part of the GD thread?

There is this thread from last year

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1470056
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »

That thread was started precisely one year ago today. :D
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

God, I really was hopeless
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It says a lot about how hopeless the rest of you all were that I managed to win despite having France, the UK and Russia as my top 3. :D
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 7 in SF1 and 6 in SF2 - considering that SF1 was where the shocks were, that's pretty poor :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, Arlene Phillips has just said on Loose Women that Enge will have two dancers with him on stage

I never watch the show, so this is third hand!
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    I got 7 in SF1 and 6 in SF2 - considering that SF1 was where the shocks were, that's pretty poor :o

I was the opposite.

6 in SF1, 7 in SF2
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member

Hope someone makes a 2012 version of it ;)
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, Arlene Phillips has just said on Loose Women that Enge will have two dancers with him on stage

I never watch the show, so this is third hand!

I hope its subtle and the dancers aren't in your face or don't look too out of place(rhyme not intended)
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, predictions. Here's mine:

Iceland: There's no way this is missing out, the juries will lap it up and it's on after Montenegro which makes it sound even better.
    Greece: It's Greece with a catchy ethnopop song, this will be getting televotes from all over Europe and the juries won't hate it enough to stop it from getting through.
    Romania: I think this is the most likely winner of this semi, it just has everything,
    Switzerland: I do think this could be a dark horse, their U2-lite sound sound be popular with both televoters and juries and by all accounts they're great live.
    Cyprus: I'm worried about the performance, but I think she'll do a Kati and get through on the strength of the song itself, despite the (probably) poor vocals.
    Denmark: As much as I don't like it, I think it'll scrape enough jury points to get through. Not to mention it'll be sweet relief even for me after the car crashes of San Marino and Cyprus live.
    Russia: I do worry whether the juries might ruin their chances but I think it should do well enough in the televote to qualify.
    Hungary: I would like to think the quality of the song should see them through easily, especially being the only serious song in the last 5 and with the help of the juries. As I said a few days ago, I think they're fine live so I don't understand all the worry on that front.
    Moldova: This is fun without being childish like Austria. It should qualify easily.
    Ireland: They seem to be popular for some strange reason and the juries loved them last year for some even stranger one. They have the pimp slot and they're sailing through to the final.

Serbia: It's Zeljko.
    Netherlands: Wishful thinking probably, I'm going to cry if she doesn't make the final.
    Belarus: Not as good as the previous version, but the voters won't have heard that. And it's not a bad song, I can certainly make a case for it against 8 others in this semi.
    Ukraine: I. Hate. This. Song. But it's representing Ukraine, so it'll qualify.
    Slovenia: Probably the best Balkan ballad this year imo, and they do have a lot a friends in this semi.
    Sweden: Do I really need to explain this one?
    Turkey: The chorus lets it down big time, but other than that it's a strong song from a country with a huge voting base. It's sailing through.
    Slovakia: Rock songs in English have a fantastic qualification record, and this is a good one imo. It sounds like something 30 Seconds to Mars would release. Not to mention it has a fantastic draw, 15th of 18 and right after the Estonian snoozefest.
    Norway: Again, I don't really think I need to explain this one. I think this is one to watch in the final, which it will get to, there's no doubt about that.
    Bosnia: Probably their worst song for a while imo, but it has a great draw and lots of friends voting in this semi.

I'm beginning to think Macedonia will qualify given her fantastic vocal and the support they have in this semi. Certainly more chance than Belarus anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    I hope its subtle and the dancers aren't in your face or don't look too out of place(rhyme not intended)

I'm kind of hoping it's Anton du Beke and Erin Boag..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of hoping it's Anton du Beke and Erin Boag..

Same here! We've got to figure that they will be waltzing rather than anything with jazz hands, so they would be the best option
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same here! We've got to figure that they will be waltzing rather than anything with jazz hands, so they would be the best option

Yep, their waltz in the showcase on one of the Strictly shows was incredible. I think it will add a completely different dimension to the performance - has ballroom dancing featured in Eurovision performances before?
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    Well he's far more attractive than this year's Georgian representative.

I still might find him attractive tbh. But only seen him in the video, so hard to say actually.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Macedonia will qualify given her fantastic vocal and the support they have in this semi. Certainly more chance than Belarus anyway!

I think so too.
    Much better than Serbia anyway
  • Options
    PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm rubbish at predictions, this is a "who I think will qualify" as opposed to "who I want to qualify" list:

Semi 1:

Very likely:
    Iceland
    Greece
    Romania
    Denmark
    Ireland (unfortunately)

Good chance:
    Albania
    Moldova

Borderline:
    Cyprus
    Russia
    Hungary

Semi 2:

Very likely:
    Serbia
    Sweden

Good chance:
    Ukraine
    Turkey
    Norway
    Bosnia & Herzegovina

Borderline:
    Netherlands
    Slovenia
    Estonia
    Slovakia
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Here's My guesses

Semi 1:
    In No particular order

1. Latvia
    2. Cyprus
    3. Ireland
    4. Denmark
    5. Finland
    6. Iceland
    7. Greece
    8. Belgium
    9. Israël
    10. Romania

Semi final 2:

again in no particular order

1. Netherlands
    2. Ukraine
    3. Bulgaria
    4. Sweden
    5. Norway
    6. Estonia
    7. Lithuania
    8. Croatia
    9. Slovenia
    10. Portugal

Wouldn;t it be hilarious if Sweden failed to qualify?
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancers onstage, eh? As long as it's done tastefully and doesn't descend into Russian iceskater levels of kitsch I don't have a problem with it. Arlene did a great job with the choreography in 2009 so I think it could really make the performance come alive.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My predictions

Semi 1

1. Russia
    2. Iceland
    3. Denmark
    4. Romania
    5. Greece
    6. Ireland
    7. Moldova
    8. Albania
    9. Hungary
    10. Finland

Semi 2

1. Sweden
    2. Serbia
    3. Norway
    4. Turkey
    5. Ukraine
    6. Estonia
    7. Bosnia
    8. Lithuania
    9. Slovenia
    10. Macedonia
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my predictions, Semi final 1 is much harder to predict I think.

Semi 1

Iceland
    Albania
    Romania
    Belgium
    Finland
    San Marino
    Cyprus
    Denmark
    Hungary
    Ireland

Semi 2