Nexus 7 or Ipad?

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »
    I think the £239 version is the one where you can put a simcard in it.
    That seems logical as the Wikipedia artcle mentions 3G.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    No 3rd party software is needed to transfer music onto either the iPad or nexus..

Whilst not strictly '3rd' party software, ITunes is required to transfer music over isn't it?

And there is no need to lock yourself into any ecosystem. The only purchases I've made are apps (both free or paid for) which is the same for both android and iOS.

maybe one day it'll be more common to pay once for a service and then get the app free on any device. As it is, there is a cost, both in effort and financially, of switching ecosystems. Not 'locked in' as in permanently locked in, but less than straightforward to switch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am thinking of getting the Nexus.
    Some of my friends are telling me the ipad mini isn't worth £450 and since the nexus is only £230 (saving myself £200) it makes sense as a student to go for this option.

Personally I agree with your friends. Most people are very happy with their Nexus 7s for the uses you describe, including me :)
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Whilst not strictly '3rd' party software, ITunes is required to transfer music over isn't it?

maybe one day it'll be more common to pay once for a service and then get the app free on any device. As it is, there is a cost, both in effort and financially, of switching ecosystems. Not 'locked in' as in permanently locked in, but less than straightforward to switch.

I copy music over using a filebrowser from my nas drive and play it either though the browser or 3rd apps without touching iTunes. However, for my more organised music I use iTunes.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think that is a little misleading. No 3rd party software is needed to transfer music onto either the iPad or nexus. However, 3rd party software is very useful on both devices to organise music.

And there is no need to lock yourself into any ecosystem. The only purchases I've made are apps (both free or paid for) which is the same for both android and iOS.

Your implications are deceiving too.

You cant actually get data from between your PC/iPad without 3rd party software (iTunes), but you can on the nexus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I copy music over using a filebrowser from my nas drive and play it either though the browser or 3rd apps without touching iTunes. However, for my more organised music I use iTunes.

Where do you put the music with your filebrowser then? Its a shame something as simple as a file browser cant be used on a PC. Its fine if you have a NAS but most people dont. So to tell some random person on the internet who is asking for purchasing advice they are the same is a lie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your implications are deceiving too.

You cant actually get data from between your PC/iPad without 3rd party software (iTunes), but you can on the nexus.
    Where do you put the music with your filebrowser then? Its a shame something as simple as a file browser cant be used on a PC. Its fine if you have a NAS but most people dont. So to tell some random person on the internet who is asking for purchasing advice they are the same is a lie.

The music is just held in a folder (which I create) within the filebrowser. iTunes is not used at all. And you don't need a nas drive, I also connect to Dropbox and I could also connect directly to my NetBook but have no need to.

I don't understand what you think I'm lying about, I'm stating what you can do and what I do.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    The music is just held in a folder (which I create) within the filebrowser. iTunes is not used at all. And you don't need a nas drive, I also connect to Dropbox and I could also connect directly to my NetBook but have no need to.

I don't understand what you think I'm lying about, I'm stating what you can do and what I do.

I think its fair to say that 'most' users would use itunes on an Apple product and 'most' users would drag and drop on a Nexus.

I can use itunes on a Nexus but i wouldnt say that it is a standard process or claim that it makes the process of loading music to the Nexus the same as an iPad.

Its standard user vs advanced user stuff. If someone is asking basic questions here then its fair to say they are standard users.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Personally I agree with your friends. Most people are very happy with their Nexus 7s for the uses you describe, including me :)

What's the music quality like though?

I am planning on buying some top quality in ear phones but i have heard that the audio on the nexus isn't as good as the iPad?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I think its fair to say that 'most' users would use itunes on an Apple product and 'most' users would drag and drop on a Nexus.

I can use itunes on a Nexus but i wouldnt say that it is a standard process or claim that it makes the process of loading music to the Nexus the same as an iPad.

Its standard user vs advanced user stuff. If someone is asking basic questions here then its fair to say they are standard users.

Well, I think it is safe to say that certain FMs would consider me a standard user;)

I don't doubt how users would transfer music but I wanted to correct any implication that you cannot copy files onto the iPad without using iTunes as it is sometimes stated this is a big limitation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think it is safe to say that certain FMs would consider me a standard user;)

I don't doubt how users would transfer music but I wanted to correct any implication that you cannot copy files onto the iPad without using iTunes as it is sometimes stated this is a big limitation.

What file explorer would you recommend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What file explorer would you recommend?

I've only ever used one and it is called (believe it or not) FileBrowser. It had good ratings and so I tried it. It is by a company called Stratospherix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but i have heard that the audio on the nexus isn't as good as the iPad?

From the same place that told you that you couldn't copy over itunes-bought music? ;)

What hifi review:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/google-nexus-7
    Google Nexus 7: Sound quality
    It’s a similar story with audio. File compatibility is solid, with MP3, FLAC and WAV files supported, and music sounds good. In terms of design and layout standard music player is OK but of course there are plenty of other apps you can try instead.

We use a pair of reference Grado 325is headphones and find a sound that’s exciting and detailed. Hans Zimmer scores sound dynamic and powerful, The XX shows the tablet capable of an open, subtle delivery, while George Fitzgerald’s track Child is fast and rhythmical.

The usual selection of music streaming apps are here and we’re happy enough listening to Spotify’s 320kbps files. The position of the volume control on the side of the Nexus 7 is a little fiddly, but otherwise we find the audio experience on this tablet a good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever used one and it is called (believe it or not) FileBrowser. It had good ratings and so I tried it. It is by a company called Stratospherix.

That looks ok. I dont think i found that when i had my iphone.
    Forum Member

OK. By the same logic you can no longer state iTunes music organisation as a benefit iPad as iTunes can be used on a nexus 7 using apps too :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. By the same logic you can no longer state iTunes music organisation as a benefit iPad as iTunes can be used on a nexus 7 using apps too :p

I never have. I have an android phone and used a music manager to put my music on there as I found when I just copies it the file order and folders were a bit of a mess.

I don't really have a problem with iTunes except it is a little slow, but then my NetBook is about 5 years old so that isn't very surprising:)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I want to buy a new tablet

I want to browse the web, listen to loads of music and maybe use apps.

I want it to be portable to carry to work, on the bus and on the train.

What is better out of the nexus or ipad?

Personally I prefer the ipad but the Nexus is smaller. If portability is the most important thing then the ipad mini or the Nexus is probably the best bet.

However, if web surfing and music is your main thing you might want to consider a 64 gig Playbook, it will sync with itunes (via the desktop app) has flash built in and is a good small device for every day use.

Downside is a lack of dedicated apps but plenty of the main Android ones can be sideloaded and run on it.

The 64 gig Playbook would make a great multi media device.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More FUD. You absolutely don't need iTunes to move data between PC/Mac and iDevice. It's not a requirement, except for directly syncing media from other sources eg. CD & DVD rips.

iCloud syncing removes a lot of the dependency on iTunes - app and media downloads (from the iTunes store) are automatically downloaded to other iDevices registered to the same Apple ID, and also the host computer (running iTunes) the iDevice is associated with. This isn't an absolute requirement however.

For actual data files (i.e. not iTunes media) I use Dropbox - throw the file into my Dropbox folder and I move it into the receiving app on the iPad.

Cameral roll photos sync with iPhoto automatically. And vice-versa.

The one main benefit of actually syncing your iDevice with iTunes is that it can do a complete backup of the device, in a couple of clicks, something I don't think there is a single complete solution yet for Android.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer the ipad but the Nexus is smaller. If portability is the most important thing then the ipad mini or the Nexus is probably the best bet.

However, if web surfing and music is your main thing you might want to consider a 64 gig Playbook, it will sync with itunes (via the desktop app) has flash built in and is a good small device for every day use.

Downside is a lack of dedicated apps but plenty of the main Android ones can be sideloaded and run on it.

The 64 gig Playbook would make a great multi media device.

Is it you think the ipad is better?

I kinda want an ipad but £450 for the 32gb is a lottt of money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    More FUD. You absolutely don't need iTunes to move data between PC/Mac and iDevice. It's not a requirement, except for directly syncing media from other sources eg. CD & DVD rips.

iCloud syncing removes a lot of the dependency on iTunes - app and media downloads (from the iTunes store) are automatically downloaded to other iDevices registered to the same Apple ID, and also the host computer (running iTunes) the iDevice is associated with. This isn't an absolute requirement however.

For actual data files (i.e. not iTunes media) I use Dropbox - throw the file into my Dropbox folder and I move it into the receiving app on the iPad.

Cameral roll photos sync with iPhoto automatically. And vice-versa.

The one main benefit of actually syncing your iDevice with iTunes is that it can do a complete backup of the device, in a couple of clicks, something I don't think there is a single complete solution yet for Android.

How can I get data from my work PC? I'm not allowed to install anything on it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishAppy wrote: »

In the case of documents etc. - through a web browser. Just need to install an app on the iDevice. Then you can browse to a local address and transfer docs to it. Loads of apps have the ability to transfer files to them locally. Location is specific to the app though, and you don't have access to everything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishAppy wrote: »

If you are not allowed to install anything on it, it is usually because they don't want you to copy data onto your personnel devices:)
    psionic wrote: »
    In the case of documents etc. - through a web browser. Just need to install an app on the iDevice. Then you can browse to a local address and transfer docs to it. Loads of apps have the ability to transfer files to them locally. Location is specific to the app though, and you don't have access to everything else.

That isn't quite true, once you transfer data you can usually choose what app you wish to open it with.
    Forum Member
    If you are not allowed to install anything on it, it is usually because they don't want you to copy data onto your personnel devices:)

not quite true. Usually companies lock down the installation of software much tighter than data transfer. However with PCI DSS and other such security regimes you will often find that USB transfer is also disabled these days :eek:

But then again so are most 'file transfer' type websites ..... :p

Work was probably a bad example in hindsight :p

.... a mates house would be better......

I can see it now - "excuse me but do you mind if i install itunes on your machine so i can copy that file off ?" :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't quite true, once you transfer data you can usually choose what app you wish to open it with.

Once it's transferred you can often share/open it with something else but it depends on the transfer app and the receiving app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not quite true. Usually companies lock down the installation of software much tighter than data transfer. However with PCI DSS and other such security regimes you will often find that USB transfer is also disabled these days :eek:

But then again so are most 'file transfer' type websites ..... :p

Work was probably a bad example in hindsight :p

Indeed. If a work PC is that locked down you're pretty stuffed anyway. But you might be able to email yourself a file - which may or may not get you in trouble?