Options

Constantine

JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Another mainstream adaptation of Hellblazer, this time a tv series coming this autumn on NBC. The trailer is kind of interesting but I doubt it'll last more than a year.

The guy playing John Constantine, Matt Ryan, his accent is sort of weird, but he is a Brit according to imdb.

Constantine 3 minute trailer

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched this and it looks very good but it also looks a bit too hardcore for a network, so i can't really see it lasting more than a season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched this and it looks very good but it also looks a bit too hardcore for a network, so i can't really see it lasting more than a season.

The problems with the source material is it's hard adults only horror, which as you say won't work very well on mainstream US tv.

Also most of the original books were about England as much as anything else, they wore the fact they were set in London or Liverpool on their sleeves, they were political allegories about the UK. Just having yer man say 'bollocks' as lip service to that takes the heart out of it.

Still I'm interested enough to give it a go for sure.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Wow - that actually looks really good.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can not wait for this.
    Reminds me a bit of supernatural and brimstone
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His accent isn't weird, it's Welsh.
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From that trailer it's got the potential to be really good or really really bad. Seems to be walking that fine line. Could be NBC's Supernatural or their Supernatural: Bloodlines. I'll give it a try though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    His accent isn't weird, it's Welsh.

I think he's trying to do a scouse accent that the USA could still understand (the character is from Liverpool)

Could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I think he's trying to do a scouse accent that the USA could still understand (the character is from Liverpool)

Could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure he is talking like he normally does, it's definitely not an attempt at Scouse. Matt Ryan has a strongish Welsh accent naturally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks excellent.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Emmett Scanlan has been cast in recurring role as Jim Corrigan AKA The Spectre in Constantine.Not known how many episodes he will appear in or if he will become The Spectre in the show!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Emmett Scanlan has been cast in recurring role as Jim Corrigan AKA The Spectre in Constantine.Not known how many episodes he will appear in or if he will become The Spectre in the show!

That's great, I like him and he was fantastic in In The Flesh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah he was and that's the only thing that I know him from but it's good to see him getting a role in a big US tv show!

I just hope that a UK tv channel picks up Constantine soon otherwise I will have to pick it up from other sources!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was in Hollyoaks as well if you ever watched it, and he also had a small part in The Fall with Gillian Anderson. It will be nice to see if he ends up going big in American because of this, something I think he has the ability to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It makes sense to have the character of Jim Corrigan in Constantine as he fits in with the supernatural elements of Constantine.Also it's a easy character to spin off into his own series if Constantine is a Sucess!
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this out then?
    Looks good,his scouse accent slips a bit here and there,but he looks the part
    Was the woman Lucy Griffiths from Robin Hood?
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Yeah he was and that's the only thing that I know him from but it's good to see him getting a role in a big US tv show!

I just hope that a UK tv channel picks up Constantine soon otherwise I will have to pick it up from other sources!
    I too hope there's news about it getting picked up by a UK channel soon. I prefer watching on TV rather than via computer, whenever possible. As long as the wait isn't too long.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Could be wrong though.

I thought it was odd when I first heard I. I couldn't put my finger on it as then I said to myself he's. Welsh. He definitely has toned it down. Just watched him an Lucy Griffith on YouTube at NBC event. His accent is pronounced. It is like Matthew Rhys.Watched him doing Under Milkwood and his accent really came out.

I like the look of it but it is on Friday night. I always thought that was the graveyard of TV shows. Matt did mention this show being on with another show and they worked well together. NBC have not a good record of keeping shows that don't perform eg Revolution. I believe it pays GH wages so it wants results. I always like supernatural and it is good to see a fresh face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was odd when I first heard I. I couldn't put my finger on it as then I said to myself he's. Welsh. He definitely has toned it down. Just watched him an Lucy Griffith on YouTube at NBC event. His accent is pronounced. It is like Matthew Rhys.Watched him doing Under Milkwood and his accent really came out.

I like the look of it but it is on Friday night. I always thought that was the graveyard of TV shows. Matt did mention this show being on with another show and they worked well together. NBC have not a good record of keeping shows that don't perform eg Revolution. I believe it pays GH wages so it wants results. I always like supernatural and it is good to see a fresh face.

It's being paired with Grimm which is one of NBC's biggest hits so I think Constantine is in safe hands. Friday isn't normally a preferred place for any show to air on but Grimm has been one of the few shows to prove it wrong.

NBC are very fair with their shows. One of the few networks who give their shows a lot of respect and time to grow. If they didn't, there is no way Community would of lasted the five seasons it did or for Hannibal to have even made it past the first season. Because neither of them deliver good ratings but critics love them and they have loyal fanbase. Revolution had neither and it was very expensive, hence it's cancellation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's being paired with Grimm which is one of NBC's biggest hits so I think Constantine is in safe hands. Friday isn't normally a preferred place for any show to air on but Grimm has been one of the few shows to prove it wrong.

NBC are very fair with their shows. One of the few networks who give their shows a lot of respect and time to grow. If they didn't, there is no way Community would of lasted the five seasons it did or for Hannibal to have even made it past the first season. Because neither of them deliver good ratings but critics love them and they have loyal fanbase. Revolution had neither and it was very expensive, hence it's cancellation.

I must say I have tried to watch Grimm but I just don't like it. From the trailer Constantine does look very expensive with all the special effects. I still think late Friday is a risk. I think it will perform really well in DVR and has a good chance of developing a cult following. With the European actors they have a good chance of selling it abroad. I really like Matt Ryan and it is a really good choice rather than selecting a well known American actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say I have tried to watch Grimm but I just don't like it. From the trailer Constantine does look very expensive with all the special effects. I still think late Friday is a risk. I think it will perform really well in DVR and has a good chance of developing a cult following. With the European actors they have a good chance of selling it abroad. I really like Matt Ryan and it is a really good choice rather than selecting a well known American actor.

The first season of Grimm was brilliant but it became too serialized, the monsters became laughable and it had a rather poor mythology as it went on. Just my opinion but i don't feel you have missed out. If anything, you have saved yourseld time by wasting two and a half seasons like i did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really like Grimm despite the blandness of the lead character.So it makes sense for NBC to team Constantine up with Grimm as they seem very similar shows.

I do think the fact that Constantine is a comic book based tv show will help it draw in viewers no matter what slot NBC put it into to!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/constantine/30486/some-thoughts-on-nbcs-constantine-trailer

Here is an interesting article. I like reading what Americans think of British actors. This writer does mention his Welshness comes out when he is trying to be a Liverpuddlian. I think his point about swearing would not be an issue because it is airing at 10.00pm in the States and if someone buys it here it won't be shown before the watershed.

I am not a comic book afficiando but I know people who are do become hot under the collar if it doesn't follow the comics.

Just read that NBC have been trying to make Friday a genre night. They tried with Dracula and that failed. I can't find any info on how many episodes there are. Will it start with 9 and then get a back 9 if successful?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/constantine/30486/some-thoughts-on-nbcs-constantine-trailer

Here is an interesting article. I like reading what Americans think of British actors. This writer does mention his Welshness comes out when he is trying to be a Liverpuddlian. I think his point about swearing would not be an issue because it is airing at 10.00pm in the States and if someone buys it here it won't be shown before the watershed.

I am not a comic book afficiando but I know people who are do become hot under the collar if it doesn't follow the comics.

Just read that NBC have been trying to make Friday a genre night. They tried with Dracula and that failed. I can't find any info on how many episodes there are. Will it start with 9 and then get a back 9 if successful?

Constantine has a 13 episode order, with an option of 9 more episodes if ratings are good. That is normally the same standard every year whenever new shows premiere. Sometimes shows are not given a back nine but sometimes a little less if the ratings are okish or if the second half of the season has rated poorly and the network do not want to waste money on more episodes of a show they are likely to cancel.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Grimm fan too and so looking forward to that returning in October. This sounds like it could be good as well, so will probably watch both.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I think his point about swearing would not be an issue because it is airing at 10.00pm in the States and if someone buys it here it won't be shown before the watershed.

There is no swearing on American network TV at any time.