Champions League 2015/16

Comments

• ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the consensus from Sky and the like back in August was that Basle were a pub team and Liverpool had been handed an easy group?

We've been dumped out at the expense of Atletico and Juve. I could have expected that but it's the fifth time we've failed to qualify to the KO stages with 9 or more points. (By comparison Basle advanced with 7)
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    the "pub team" have very good results against English sides in recent years.;-)

Pleased that Juventus are through as they deserve to be in the last 16.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting if we draw Liverpool in the knock out stages of the Europa League. Every time we play them, they end up winning the trophy. :D
    UEFA cup in 2000/1 and CL in 2004/5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The games tonight are pretty much all dead rubbers - the qualifying teams are already decided. The exception being Bayern's group with CSKA, Man City and Roma all on 5 points.
    I'm going for a Roma qualification - Manchester City are shocking in Europe.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The games tonight are pretty much all dead rubbers - the qualifying teams are already decided. The exception being Bayern's group with CSKA, Man City and Roma all on 5 points.
    I'm going for a Roma qualification - Manchester City are shocking in Europe.

Me, too. Expectations are lower for them as well. So they'll just sit back and counter attack them.

But I actually want Roma to go through, because they aren't going to win the league anytime soon. Despite having numerous chances to do so. It could be another fairytale story if they get far enough.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just seen Ramsey's goal what ridiculous strike one of the best goals I have even seen.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Man City get rid of Negredo, did Pellegrini really expect Aguero to remain injury free and that Dzeko and Jovetic would be adequate backups.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Man City get rid of Negredo, did Pellegrini really expect Aguero to remain injury free and that Dzeko and Jovetic would be adequate backups.

Financial fair play
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Cracking goal by Samir Nasri, City now in the driving seat.
    Forum Member
    Zabaleta makes it 2-0 to City, very competent job done by a so-called one man team.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fair play to city didn't think they had a big champions league result in them
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After an iffy first 15 mins or so that was very professional by City, kept Roma largely at arms' length and took their chances when they came.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both city and arsenal you feel would need to draw Monaco and porto to have any chance of going further
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Both city and arsenal you feel would need to draw Monaco and porto to have any chance of going further

Arsenal perhaps, but MC with Ag back? bet none of the non English winners will want them.
    Forum Member
    This was a commanding performance by City without three of their most influential players in defence (Kompany), midfield (Toure) and attack (Aguero). It drew attention to the strength of the squad of the current champions of England and announced their arrival as serious contenders in Europe. It remains to be seen if they are good enough to challenge for a place in the final of the Champions league, but I wouldn't bet against them retaining their premier league title,
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great performance from city

they have had hard groups but have now made KO stages 2 years in a row, learning all the time in europe.

nice to see 3 english teams through

madrid
    bayern
    barca
    city
    chelsea

would be top 5 favourites for me

psg
    juve
    atletico(yes i know got to final last year)

as outsiders for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man City are more than capable of beating any team on the day, they've beaten Bayern Munich 3 times in the champions league now which is no easy feat.

All it takes is Hart, Kompany, Silva, Toure and Aguero to hit form and they are one of the strongest teams in the world.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Man City are more than capable of beating any team on the day, they've beaten Bayern Munich 3 times in the champions league now which is no easy feat.

All it takes is Hart, Kompany, Silva, Toure and Aguero to hit form and they are one of the strongest teams in the world.

Don't disagree that they're capable of beating any team on their best day, but don't think those three victories over Bayern prove a great deal. All three matches were meaningless for Bayern because they'd already cruised through and qualified for the next round. Every time the two played in a game that had real merit for Bayern led to Bayern winning all three times.

City still have plenty to do and I'm not all that convinced just because they ended up scraping through this group. Still don't think Pellegrini is the right man for them and think they'll struggle if the draw isn't kind to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Don't disagree that they're capable of beating any team on their best day, but don't think those three victories over Bayern prove a great deal. All three matches were meaningless for Bayern because they'd already cruised through and qualified for the next round. Every time the two played in a game that had real merit for Bayern led to Bayern winning all three times.

City still have plenty to do and I'm not all that convinced just because they ended up scraping through this group. Still don't think Pellegrini is the right man for them and think they'll struggle if the draw isn't kind to them.

he won the prem and league cup last year?

you thought moyes was right man for utd even when you were so low in table, yet a guy doing so well domestically and made KO stages everytime is not the right man? is your opinion influenced by fan rivalry at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pellegrini is a marked improvement over 'Can't get out of the group stage with Man City' Mancini.

Mancini seemed to have very little control over his players, Tevez goes on a golfing holiday, Balotelli nearly rips his head off.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

you thought moyes was right man for utd even when you were so low in table, yet a guy doing so well domestically and made KO stages everytime is not the right man? is your opinion influenced by fan rivalry at all?

Moyes was never the right man for United.

I think many United fans gave him a chance to prove us wrong,sadly it was up there with the Roy Hodgson appointment for Liverpool a few years back.

But Hodgson had a far better CV to his credit.

I'm now accepting of the opinion that Moyes got the job because he was a Scottish mate of Fergie's.:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    City are still inconsistent in Europe they can maybe get a result against anyone on their day but not convinced against the big 3 when it matters still feel they are capable of losing to anyone in Europe as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moyes was never the right man for United.

I think many United fans gave him a chance to prove us wrong,sadly it was up there with the Roy Hodgson appointment for Liverpool a few years back.

But Hodgson had a far better CV to his credit.

I'm now accepting of the opinion that Moyes got the job because he was a Scottish mate of Fergie's.:blush:

ya i understand that completley.

im just wondering what pellegrini needs to do to be seen as the right man

domestically he ticks boxes

in europe he one campaign with city, which resulted in KO loss one of worlds best clubs in barcelona.

now hes back to same spot again

and if these uefa changes take place he will not have such a hard group to navigate in future if he continues to do well domestically. i think city are in good hands.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

Winning the premier league and league cup doesn't mean he's the right man. City need a top manager to take them from being a very good team to one of the absolute best. You think he's the man to do that? So far he's shown no signs what so ever that he is. Mancini was good enough to have them challenging and winning the league title but fell well short in Europe and showed he wasn't a great manager. After that they needed somebody who would come in and take the team that extra step, Pellegrini hasn't shown me so far he's that guy.

Is there much point in getting into the second part where you're going out of your way to be imm**ure and try to drag me into a petty little "oh you're a rival fan so your opinion is clearly biased!!!" argument? I couldn't care less if it was our biggest rival, I'll always give credit where credits due. City have the potential to be better than they already are, I just don't think Pellegrini is the man to make that happen. I backed Moyes and at the start thought he'd make it work, guess what? I was wrong and ended up looking a bit of a right t*t when he failed as miserably as he did. Is your opinion influenced by the fact you aim to draw United fans into these petty little arguments rather than being able to actually put together a decent argument because you dislike Manchester United so much? If you want to argue against me, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong about Pellegrini and highlight the great changes he's made to this City team, rather than being paranoid about every United fan you come into contact with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have already highlighted why i think pellegrini is the right man, try reading above before feverishly going about your reply.

you were wrong about moyes, so why are you so sure about pellegrini is all i am saying, not saying that i am perfect in judging managers either of course.

in 1 1/2 seasons he has won premier league and league cup. lost to barca in KO stage, got city to 2nd in current standings and qualified from a very hard group.

so far so good? if greatness is the aim surely managers should be afforded some time to get there?