American Horror Story : Freak Show - UK Pace (No Spoilers)

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think so, it's set ten years before Asylum.

I wonder how she went from the backstory in Asylum to Freakshow then ending up in the Asylum. Will be interesting to see if they ignore that or if we see more of her story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I wonder how she went from the backstory in Asylum to Freakshow then ending up in the Asylum. Will be interesting to see if they ignore that or if we see more of her story.

I doubt it, I don't imagine they'll want to confuse the continuity too much. I think we're supposed to look at her as an alternate version of pepper.

Time will tell though I guess.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vdp2791 wrote: »
    I doubt it, I don't imagine they'll want to confuse the continuity too much. I think we're supposed to look at her as an alternate version of pepper.

Time will tell though I guess.

If I remember rightly, Ryan Murphy has said in interviews that Pepper is one and the same character from Asylum and that Freakshow shows her life before she ended up in the asylum. Whether they actually explore her story or not though...

I enjoyed the opener but having read so much about Twisty the Clown being THE most terrifying clown on screen, I was disappointed that he didn't scare me. And I hate clowns.

Hopefully more scares to come. I didn't like how Coven tried to be more comedy than horror last year so hope they stick with the horror theme this year. They can't help but shoehorn in a musical number though, can they?!
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just checked out the actress who plays Pepper to see what she looks like in real life... wow, quite a transformation!
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was my 1st viewing of any of the series and I have to say I thought it was pretty good. Decent thrills and horror. Wasn't sure what to expect (that clown is damn scary) but ill keep watching

Mine too, im going to buy the 1-3 boxset
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

The killer clown and the siamese twins were brilliant. Sarah Paulson doing excellent work as usual. Great to see Pepper from Asylum in this. I'm guessing this is where she was before she was put into the Asylum? Jessica Lange was good but not too keen on the song at the end. Why was she singing Life on Mars a song from the 70's by David Bowie when the show is set in 1951? It would be really stupid for that to be an oversight surely they did their research? Or it was done deliberately? Has no one else noticed this? Either way if there's more songs in every episode it's seriously going to put me off. This isn't Glee! Were there songs in Coven??

I was wondering the same thing. Life On Mars first appeared on the Hunky Dory album in 1971 and was released as a single in '73.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    I just checked out the actress who plays Pepper to see what she looks like in real life... wow, quite a transformation!
    Yeah; I kinda bothered me that they were reusing her look, but I guess they were proud of it.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Yeah; I kinda bothered me that they were reusing her look, but I guess they were proud of it.

How do you mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »

It's the same character, Freakshow is set before Asylum.

As for wondering why she's singing songs by Bowie and Lana Del Rey, you might as well ask why they have a killer clown making friends with a spoilt rich boy. The show is crazy and has been since the beginning when a ghost in a gimp suit knocked up Connie Nielson to birth the Anti-Christ. I think it's actually a series working in reverse, each series taking place before the last. That Pepper is the only character in two series so far played by the same actress means something, perhaps Jessica Lange's character is the daughter of each older character she plays?
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the characters surnames link up but that's about it.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »

You'll probably enjoy this. :)
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks! Must be a nightmare getting ready for scenes everyday.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Ep2 was ok, but not a patch on the first episode of the season. Sad to see what happened to Meep. Elsa was a right bitch giving the twin the knife and suggesting she do something about her other half. Guess that's what jealousy does to you!

I did like the introduction of Michael Chiklis and Angela Bassett as husband and wife. The Strongman is a right arsehole. I absolutely despised his behavious in the diner! So am i correct in thinking Strongman and Ethel had a fling and Jimmy is Strongman's son?

The Twisty the Clown pre-credits opener was brilliant! That knife through the neck freaked me out! Such a good character although i'm surprised he didn't attack and kill Gloria and Dandy when he was at their house. That's what he does, just kill random people? I was surprised he let them live. I did laugh when he smacked Dandy with his bowling pin! Very funny! :D

There is one thing that seriously bothered me and that was the dinner scene with Dandy and his mum. The acting of both Frances Conroy and the guy who plays her son was absolutely atrocious and some of the worst acting i've ever seen! I don't know if they were directed to act that way, but it was just way too pantomime for me, esp. Frances Conroy! It was absolutely ghastly! Please be better!!!!

As for the song sung by the conjoined twins, i didn't recognise the song. Was that another song from the future they sung?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Ep2 was ok, but not a patch on the first episode of the season. Sad to see what happened to Meep. Elsa was a right bitch giving the twin the knife and suggesting she do something about her other half. Guess that's what jealousy does to you!

I did like the introduction of Michael Chiklis and Angela Bassett as husband and wife. The Strongman is a right arsehole. I absolutely despised his behavious in the diner! So am i correct in thinking Strongman and Ethel had a fling and Jimmy is Strongman's son?

The Twisty the Clown pre-credits opener was brilliant! That knife through the neck freaked me out! Such a good character although i'm surprised he didn't attack and kill Gloria and Dandy when he was at their house. That's what he does, just kill random people? I was surprised he let them live. I did laugh when he smacked Dandy with his bowling pin! Very funny! :D

There is one thing that seriously bothered me and that was the dinner scene with Dandy and his mum. The acting of both Frances Conroy and the guy who plays her son was absolutely atrocious and some of the worst acting i've ever seen! I don't know if they were directed to act that way, but it was just way too pantomime for me, esp. Frances Conroy! It was absolutely ghastly! Please be better!!!!

As for the song sung by the conjoined twins, i didn't recognise the song. Was that another song from the future they sung?

It's a song called Criminal by Fiona Apple.
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member

I definitely think it's supposed to be this way for sure, like a very eccentric family.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    really liked the 2nd episode, if this is what ive been missing I need to watch the other series

cannot believe dandy but I can see the character he is and it kind of makes sense, spoilt little rich kid messed up in the head

poor Meep :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angela Bassett with 3 titties. :D:D:D:D The actors must have a blast filming this show. Patti LaBelle is an interesting addition to the cast. I wonder if she will be singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what the song gimmick of the week was for last night's episode? :D I didn't recognise it but i did like the song.

I really enjoyed last night's episode. Particularly when Edward Mondrake was onscreen. I thought he was an excellent character and i'd love to see more of him. I never considered a 'freak' to have one head and two faces, one at the front and one at the back. I thought they got that look right particularly right. The one at the back certainly looked like someone you don't want to mess with!

Great to see more of Twisty, still seriously disturbing. Dandy is becoming more and more psychotic. I actually prefer him when he's acting like a maniac rather than a spoilt brat. I still can't stand the acting in any scenes he has with with Gloria. The scene with his maid Dora (i think that's her name?) was f*cking hilarious! I was laughing out loud and cheering on Dora to slap him one! Love that she stood up to him like that and didn't take any of his nonsense.

Also enjoyed seeing the introduction of Emma Roberts and Denis O'Hare in the show. They seem like a fun couple! I wonder if the 'sword' is what we're led to believe? :D

Best scene of the episode was Ethel talking with her doctor. Superb acting from Kathy Bates. In fact Bates was excellent thoughout all of last night's show. Just a shame her accent is so terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the song gimmick of the week was for last night's episode? :D I didn't recognise it but i did like the song.

I really enjoyed last night's episode. Particularly when Edward Mondrake was onscreen. I thought he was an excellent character and i'd love to see more of him. I never considered a 'freak' to have one head and two faces, one at the front and one at the back. I thought they got that look right particularly right. The one at the back certainly looked like someone you don't want to mess with!

Great to see more of Twisty, still seriously disturbing. Dandy is becoming more and more psychotic. I actually prefer him when he's acting like a maniac rather than a spoilt brat. I still can't stand the acting in any scenes he has with with Gloria. The scene with his maid Dora (i think that's her name?) was f*cking hilarious! I was laughing out loud and cheering on Dora to slap him one! Love that she stood up to him like that and didn't take any of his nonsense.

Also enjoyed seeing the introduction of Emma Roberts and Denis O'Hare in the show. They seem like a fun couple! I wonder if the 'sword' is what we're led to believe? :D

Best scene of the episode was Ethel talking with her doctor. Superb acting from Kathy Bates. In fact Bates was excellent thoughout all of last night's show. Just a shame her accent is so terrible.

It was Gods and Monsters by Lana Del Ray. The little Indian woman is so cute. She's tiny.
  • itsJoeitsJoe Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loving the series so far, probably the best of them all IMO. Starting to warm to most of the characters apart from one or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Gods and Monsters by Lana Del Ray. The little Indian woman is so cute. She's tiny.

Thanks for that. They're going very modern with their song choices. First Fiona Apple and now Lana Del Ray, i wonder who they'll choose next week?

The little Indian woman is adorable, just a shame she doesn't have any lines to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. They're going very modern with their song choices. First Fiona Apple and now Lana Del Ray, i wonder who they'll choose next week?

The little Indian woman is adorable, just a shame she doesn't have any lines to say.

Her little violin was hilarious. :D Wes Bentleys eyes are so piercing. Like a wolf.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good episode (apart from the obligatory incongruent song). I like the way this series is quite character-driven if a little lighter on the horror so far, apart from Twisty, obviously.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She has spoken more than once but I can't understand anything she says.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say that I'm giving up on AHS. Thought season one was excellent, enjoyed Asylum but not as much, just about got through Coven, but Freak Show is just not doing it for me at all.