Samsung F series TV PVR function - recording live programmes?

Hi all.

I've connected a USB hard disk to my Samsung UE32F6800 TV, and I can schedule recordings of future programmes from the EPG, but I can't see how to start recording the programme that's currently on.

I've found that pressing the Play button engages the Timeshift mode, which then allows rewinding and FFing within the current programme, but that doesn't create a "recording" on the USB disk which can be viewed later.

The E-Manual does not seem to mention recording of live programmes - is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    Hi all.

I've connected a USB hard disk to my Samsung UE32F6800 TV, and I can schedule recordings of future programmes from the EPG, but I can't see how to start recording the programme that's currently on.

I've found that pressing the Play button engages the Timeshift mode, which then allows rewinding and FFing within the current programme, but that doesn't create a "recording" on the USB disk which can be viewed later.

The E-Manual does not seem to mention recording of live programmes - is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

I thought you press the 'Record' button on the remote when on the channel you want to record?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I thought you press the 'Record' button on the remote when on the channel you want to record?
    There is no "Record" button on the remote :cry:
    Forum Member
    I've just stumbled across a way to do it. It's a bit tortuous, so maybe there is a simpler way, but it's the only method I've found so far!

Press INFO to bring up the programme information banner at the top of the screen, then while the info banner is still up, press ENTER (the button in the middle of the arrow keys), which brings up the full programme synopsis, filling the screen. At the bottom of that screen there is a RECORD option. So, left once, then ENTER again to start recording.

Of course, while doing all that, you're missing part of the programme! A single record button on the remote would be nice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no "Record" button on the remote :cry:

Oh I see the remote is a touch panel. Very nice.

I've found this in the manual.

Recording the Current Programme
    Highlight a programme currently being aired, and select the virtual remote panel's or the regular
    remote's INFObutton. The information screen appears. Select Record. Recordis only available for the
    programme currently being aired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instant Recording
    To record the programme currently being aired, select the virtual remote panel's or the regular remote's (picture of red button) button, and then set a desired recording duration.

What is the virtual remote panel? Does that appear on screen? If so there should be a red record button.

If it looks like this photo then you should have the red button on screen.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/productreviewstoppicks/ss/Samsung-Un46f8000-46-inch-Led-lcd-Smart-Tv-Product-Photos_9.htm
    Forum Member
    It has a normal remote as well as the touch-pad remote.

I've never seen the "on-screen" remotes pictured in your link, and it sounds like the method I have found for starting a recording is the official way :-(

Thanks for your help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has a normal remote as well as the touch-pad remote.

I've never seen the "on-screen" remotes pictured in your link, and it sounds like the method I have found for starting a recording is the official way :-(

Thanks for your help!

This is the remote for my samsung tv, notice the record button in the bottom left hand corner.

http://sparedparts.com/images/made/AH59-00445A_474_365_90.JPG

I just need to press it to record.
    Forum Member
    This is the remote for my samsung tv, notice the record button in the bottom left hand corner.

http://sparedparts.com/images/made/AH59-00445A_474_365_90.JPG

I just need to press it to record.

Can't find a picture of my remote anywhere, but it definitely has no record button anywhere.

Starting bottom right and working upwards, the buttons are:
    FF
    PAUSE
    PLAY
    REW
    STOP
    AD/SUBT
    3D
    E-MANAUL
    D/BLUE
    C/YELLOW
    B/GREEN
    A/RED
    EXIT
    DOWN ARROW
    RETURN
    RIGHT ARROW
    ENTER
    LEFT ARROW
    INFO
    UP ARROW
    TOOLS
    GUIDE
    SMART HUB
    MENU
    CHANNEL DOWN
    CH LIST
    VOLUME DOWN
    CHANNEL UP
    MUTE
    VOLUME UP
    PRE-CH
    TTX/MIX
    SOURCE
    POWER

The touchpad remote has even fewer buttons:
    GUIDE
    SMART HUB
    RETURN
    D/BLUE
    C/YELLOW
    B/GREEN
    A/RED
    SEARCH
    RECOMM.
    [TOUCH PAD]
    CHANNEL DOWN
    MORE
    VOLUME DOWN
    CHANNEL UP
    VOICE
    VOLUME UP
    STB POWER
    SOURCE
    TV POWER
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't find a picture of my remote anywhere, but it definitely has no record button anywhere.

Does your remote have a code on it?

Mine is samsung aa59-00445a. If I google that code I can find photos of it.

Does any of those on screen keys come up?
    Forum Member
    Good idea - Googling the code number turned up a picture of the remote:
    http://www.top-fernbedienung.de/www.top-fernbedienung.de/Auktionen/Auktion/2237/samsung_aa5900786a.jpg

That picture is exactly what mine looks like.

I've never seen any of the "on-screen" remotes. Maybe they only apply to US models?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good idea - Googling the code number turned up a picture of the remote:
    http://www.top-fernbedienung.de/www.top-fernbedienung.de/Auktionen/Auktion/2237/samsung_aa5900786a.jpg

That picture is exactly what mine looks like.

I've never seen any of the "on-screen" remotes. Maybe they only apply to US models?

I see what you mean, no record button.

The remote is different to the one I thought went with your model of TV. There is no touch pad like the one I saw.
    http://0.tqn.com/d/hometheater/1/0/O/b/2/samsung-un46f8000remotediag.jpg

Might be worth getting a Universal remote that has a record button on, borrowing one would be good.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, you need to read the answers more carefully as koantemplation has already solved your question in Post #5. I downloaded the User Manual from Samsung's UK site.

At the top of page 72 (79 of 195), it says:

Recording the Current Programme

................select the regular remote's INFO button. The information screen appears. Select Record. Record is only available for the programme currently being aired.

Download page (scroll down to User Manual):

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE32F6800SBXXU-downloads?isManualDownload=true
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    OP, you need to read the answers more carefully as koantemplation has already solved your question in Post #5. I downloaded the User Manual from Samsung's UK site.

The OP had already found that out in post 5.

I'm just trying to figure a way they can record with one button press.

I think a cheap universal remote might solve the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    For those that have a pebble remote and you dont want to use the 'other' remote
    keep holding down the C/YELLOW button, this brings up the REC dialog
    keep holding down B/GREEN button brings up the MENU
    keep holding down D/BLUE button brings up INFO

alternatively, if your pebble remote has a football button, clicking that enter football mode which starts recording until the end of the programme (or until you press it again).