So who wrote listen on the doctors chalk board

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
This wasn't explained.

Comments

• jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My take was that the Doctor himself wrote Listen.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it was the Doctor, like Jenna said (and I can't remember the quote exactly) but he is the kind of person who may have forgotten doing it in the first place.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who wrote listen on the doctors chalk board
    garbage456 wrote: »
    This wasn't explained.

The Master. Or Missy. Or a monster.
    :)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But who was under the bedspread?
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed, the resident goof-ball.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    This wasn't explained.

CLARA: "Looks like your handwriting."
    DOCTOR: "But I couldn't have written that and then forgotten, could I?"
    CLARA: "Have you met you?"

This is the same man who went up to a counter to buy coffee and wasn't seen for three weeks.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maybe The Doctor did write it just not yet.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

This is the same man who went up to a counter to buy coffee and wasn't seen for three weeks.

I thought that The Doctor writing it at the end was a nod to the likelihood that he wrote it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he have two chalkboards? If so my theory is that he had wrote Listen on one first(shortly after saying it aloud on top of the TARDIS) and then went on to write his research findings. :D
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »

After the last regeneration, he went missing for over a decade so being late back by a few days is hardly a sign of him being "below par". We don't know how long he was away on his own clock - and that gap might prove to be as significant as it was when he went walkabouts in the "astronaut" series arc.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beeb have a poll running on the official page.

When I last checked 60% thought the Doctor, 40% thought a monster.

Like everything else in the ep, we were offered a rational explanation and can choose to believe it or not.
    Forum Member
    Answer to "Who was under the blanket" - I won't be surprised if we find out later that the Doctor told/paid someone to do that just to scare "Rupert" for some reason.

Since when has the Doctor turned away from something "interesting" - never to know the answer as to what it was? And if there was the slightest chance that it was a ghost/monster/alien/freak, would he really have just let it walk off to some other kid's room?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to think that the Doctor was right... that the mysterious entity did exist. I think the case for the entity's existence is more compelling than the case for its non-existence.
    Answer: the entity wrote "Listen". It exists. It's there... and the Doctor saw it.

As I've tried to explain to people before, there is no definite answer to this question. We were left with two possibilities and no certainties at the end of the episode.

It is possible to have an episode where the viewer is left to fill in the blanks. We don't have to be spoon fed everything. You decide what you think is more likely. The episode didn't tell us, it just gave us the clues to make up our own mind.

It's like the film "The Life of Pi". If you've seen it, the audience is offered two possible explanations at the end; that Pi's adventures were real and the fantastical things he witnessed actually exist... or the more rational explanation that it was all a delusion created by his mind to deal with the horrors he saw and experienced (a man beating his mother to death for example).
    Sorry for the random tangent, but the ambiguity at the end of Listen reminded me of this film. It's rather good. I recommend watching it if you haven't seen it already.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor wrote it in my opinion. The creature didn't exist. You wouldn't detect it at all if it actually existed. If something that was designed to be perfect at hiding why would it go on a bed when people were underneath? Also why would it be banging on the exterior of the spaceship that left its occupant stranded?
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    But who was under the bedspread?

Kiran Shah
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The monster(s) wrote it.

Just like everything that is seen to be 'the best' as what it does, It wanted a challenge to see if it could stay hidden from the one person who would actively hunt it.
    Forum Member
    As I've tried to explain to people before, there is no definite answer to this question. We were left with two possibilities and no certainties at the end of the episode.

Agreed to a point but as I said, we have one other piece of information and that is the nature of the Doctor himself.

It seems out of character for him to be so quick to ignore it and to simply let a potential threat just wander off with no follow up unless he already knew - for certain - that it posed no threat.

("Common sense" says it was a kid - hard to imagine a "thing" nicking the quilt and slamming the door but as someone once said - "Common sense is what tells us that the Earth is flat")

The Doctor had been talking (to himself) about the possible existence of a "thing" so it's doubly odd that he wouldn't want to know - for his own sake - what was in that bedroom - but he seemed totally disinterested apart from scaring the crap out Rupert and Clara for some reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Agreed to a point but as I said, we have one other piece of information and that is the nature of the Doctor himself.

It seems out of character for him to be so quick to ignore it and to simply let a potential threat just wander off with no follow up unless he already knew - for certain - that it posed no threat.

("Common sense" says it was a kid - hard to imagine a "thing" nicking the quilt and slamming the door but as someone once said - "Common sense is what tells us that the Earth is flat")

The Doctor had been talking (to himself) about the possible existence of a "thing" so it's doubly odd that he wouldn't want to know - for his own sake - what was in that bedroom - but he seemed totally disinterested apart from scaring the crap out Rupert and Clara for some reason.

I agree it was strange that this gripping plot line just fizzled out with neither the doctor nor the viewer taking their curiosity any further.. What was that thing? Also strange that the maybe monster at the end of universe was (unless i am mistaken) perceived to be outside the ship rather than inside with them (under his bed etc) like the main premise?
    Forum Member
    drdavison wrote: »
    IAlso strange that the maybe monster at the end of universe was (unless i am mistaken) perceived to be outside the ship rather than inside with them (under his bed etc) like the main premise?

Hadn't thought of that but it's a good point.

I can invent one possible "answer" for that - that what was outside was the "bogeymen" from all over the universe - not his "personal" one which lived where it belonged, under his bed. With all of the humans gone, all of the bogeymen were attracted to Pink like moths to a flame (be interesting to know what those things were supposed to get from the process - were they supposed to feed of fear or do they just really like sweaty feet and dust bunnies?)

Mind you, even with a "solution" like that, it seems a bit odd that such "creatures" could be stopped by a door or wall - doesn't really fit with the spooky factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the things I liked most about "Listen" is that it is left ambiguous if the creatures are real or not. For every situation that is given where they are "present" we are also given an alternate explaination that is reasonable.

Is the Doctor right, or is he just trying to justify his own fear and paranoia? Were they really under young Danny's bedsheets, tapping at Orson's door, or was it a kid playing a prank, or the build-up of six months total isolation playing tricks on the mind listening to the sounds of the ship?

Did they write on his chalk board, or did he have a moment of absent mindedness?

We'll never know.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of letting the viewer make up their own mind.

Although personally I thought the whole point of the episode was that there wasn't a monster it was just our fear that there was one.

As for under the bed covers - another kid,? it certainly didn't seem threatening. If it was a creature it just seemed to want somewhere warm to sleep or maybe Rupert had biscuits.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Maybe The Doctor did write it just not yet.

Yes brilliant
  • Alpha32Alpha32 Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it was, but it was.

http://i.imgur.com/6mDsX7U.jpg <--- (The Doctor).
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that Clara signalled the barn scene well in advance - she told Rupert that she was the "thing under the bed".
  • jackjack1984jackjack1984 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Ok, I'm just saying this as the episodes so far have had nods to previous stories.

Deep Breath - the Girl in the fireplace

Into the Dalek - Carnival of monsters/planet of the giants ( with the being shrunk) would have loved it if once they were out of the Dalek they were still small for 1/3 of the episode

Robot of Sherwood - The Time Warrior
    I was really thinking with the robot knights that the sontrans would be involved

Listen -
    Midnight??? Creature you never see but sense is there, knocking on the door, getting you to open it. They don't want to be seen but they are lonely and just want us to be aware of there existence. while not as sinister I would love for it to be of the same species ( the one on midnight gone insane from loneliness for hundreds of years)