Help - I just had a SERIOUSLY embarrassing incident with my flatmate's mother

teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
Forum Member
Hey everyone. I'm in uni halls at the moment and, the other day, one of my flatmates told me that they were going home for a while but didn't specify when they were coming back. I'd tried texting earlier today but had no reply.

About 15 minutes ago, I was in the kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil and I had my iPod in. I looked down to change the track and, when I looked back up, a middle-aged woman was standing in front of me, going through the fridge.

I yelled with shock and she yelled back and ran down the corridor into the aforementioned flatmate's room. I shouted my apologies but she kept running and shouting "YOU'VE FRIGHTENED THE LIFE OUT OF ME". I then realised that it was my flatmate's mum; we'd spoken briefly a few days before.

I feel dreadful; I think she thinks that I just randomly screamed "Aaah!" at her for no reason. However, in the same breath, it is a bit odd to just stroll into someone's kitchen at 2am without making it clear that you've entered the room - I was only looking down for about 5 seconds as I clicked the "next" button on my iPod. I still would've been a bit shocked if I'd have seen her come in from the dark hallway. How should I handle this in the morning? I could have three very angry people waiting for me (flatmate and her 2 parents).

Oh dear, the whole thing is rather funny in retrospect but I still feel really bad! :o

Comments