Options

Lets's Kill Hitler - The Shicklgruber Grab

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
The whole thing with "policemen" from the future coming back to kill Hitler reminded me of a story that appeared in British sci-fi comic 2000AD back in 1980

There is an ongoing series called Strontium Dog which features Johnny Alpha, a mutant bounty hunter who works for the Search/Destroy Agency.

In the particular story in question a massive "bounty" is place on Hitler's head by an organisation dedicated to punishing criminals from the past and Johnny Alpha and several other S/D agents (informally known as Strontium Dogs) competer to collect the reward

Comments

• Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-read this a couple of weeks ago while researching a piece for Broken Frontier's British comics week. I loved the scene where Wulf shuts Hitler up with 'der Sternhammer Silencer', basically shoving a sock in his mouth!

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdown/p/detail/mutant-mayhem-in-milton-keynes-the-life-and-death-of-johnny-alpha-strontium-dog/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re-read this a couple of weeks ago while researching a piece for Broken Frontier's British comics week. I loved the scene where Wulf shuts Hitler up with 'der Sternhammer Silencer', basically shoving a sock in his mouth!

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdown/p/detail/mutant-mayhem-in-milton-keynes-the-life-and-death-of-johnny-alpha-strontium-dog/

It was a shame that they killed off Wulf off but I can understand why they did it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It was a shame that they killed off Wulf off but I can understand why they did it

It vos a damn shame, old cucumber.
    And whatever happened to the Gronk?
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame that the Doctor and his companions ended up in this dreary and confusing mess of an episode. I was totally confused by it, and even worse, BORED!!

And yes, I was brought up with the original Doctor Who's during the 1960s and 1970s. The modern versions do nothing for me am afraid.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah now that brings back memories of those stories and my time reading 2000AD.

And also MrGiles2 how much off topic is that post? or are you referring to the 200AD comic being dreary and confusing, as I am a little confused!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serton wrote: »
    Ah now that brings back memories of those stories and my time reading 2000AD.

And also MrGiles2 how much off topic is that post? or are you referring to the 200AD comic being dreary and confusing, as I am a little confused!

oops!!! Seems I have posted on the wrong thread :o:o:o

Sorry about that, but I did think it was about the recent episode shown last Saturday which I was so disappointed with.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    It is a shame that the Doctor and his companions ended up in this dreary and confusing mess of an episode. I was totally confused by it, and even worse, BORED!!

And yes, I was brought up with the original Doctor Who's during the 1960s and 1970s. The modern versions do nothing for me am afraid.

Why did it bore you, and why did you find it confusing? Without explaining that to us, you seem to be telling us more about yourself than about the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did it bore you, and why did you find it confusing? Without explaining that to us, you seem to be telling us more about yourself than about the episode.

I just could not make out what it was supposed to be about, and trying to do just that, I just gave up and dozed off :sleep::sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It vos a damn shame, old cucumber.
    And whatever happened to the Gronk?

Well the Gronk appeared with Feral Jackson in the post-Final Solution spin-off series Strontium Dogs. However the events of the most recent Strontium Dog story, The Life and Death Of Johnny Alpha have retconned Strontium Dogs out of existence so I'm not sure what has happened to the Gronk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Gronk appeared with Feral Jackson in the post-Final Solution spin-off series Strontium Dogs. However the events of the most recent Strontium Dog story, The Life and Death Of Johnny Alpha have retconned Strontium Dogs out of existence so I'm not sure what has happened to the Gronk

I prefer to forget that particular atrocity myself. A gun toting Gronk? Oh, my poor heartses!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to forget that particular atrocity myself. A gun toting Gronk? Oh, my poor heartses!

I think The Torso would use some rather ripe sign language about it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think The Torso would use some rather ripe sign language about it :D

Poor George Moore. Sadly, he rather lost his head during that business, too. :D

Grant and Wagner have never been bettered when it comes to creating off the wall characters, have they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor George Moore. Sadly, he rather lost his head during that business, too. :D

Grant and Wagner have never been bettered when it comes to creating off the wall characters, have they?

Too true

How about the trio of Celtic Strontium Dogs; Middenface McNulty, Evans The Fist and Spud Murphy??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too true

How about the trio of Celtic Strontium Dogs; Middenface McNulty, Evans The Fist and Spud Murphy??

Alas, poor Spud had had his chips too, by the end of 'Outlaw'.

For a few of my faves, see here:
    http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Strontium_Dogs

(the blue links take you to character pages)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alas, poor Spud had had his chips too, by the end of 'Outlaw'.

For a few of my faves, see here:
    http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Strontium_Dogs

(the blue links take you to character pages)

The first issue of 2000AD I ever read(this was a few years before I became a regular reader) included an episode of Portrait Of A Mutant. I couldn't understand what Middenface was saying because I didn't realise at the time he was meant to be Scottish :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first issue of 2000AD I ever read(this was a few years before I became a regular reader) included an episode of Portrait Of A Mutant. I couldn't understand what Middenface was saying because I didn't realise at the time he was meant to be Scottish :)

Whit? Jings, are ye joshin' me ye scunner? :eek: :D

Still waiting for the conclusion of the last Strontium Dog series. I really hope they haven't killed Middenface off, he's far too good a character to lose (and aside from the Gronk and Evans the Fist, pretty much the last of the old guard from the strip's glory days). .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whit? Jings, are ye joshin' me ye scunner? :eek: :D

Still waiting for the conclusion of the last Strontium Dog series. I really hope they haven't killed Middenface off, he's far too good a character to lose (and aside from the Gronk and Evans the Fist, pretty much the last of the old guard from the strip's glory days). .

Would Durham Red count??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Durham Red count??

I guess she'd just about slip in, yeah. Though I personally tend to feel that Strontium Dog's golden era ended when a certain hairy Norwegian was unceremoniously killed off. Always thought that was a big mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess she'd just about slip in, yeah. Though I personally tend to feel that Strontium Dog's golden era ended when a certain hairy Norwegian was unceremoniously killed off. Always thought that was a big mistake.

I suppose Wulf had to die in order for there to be a good reason for Johnny to go totally postal on Max Bubba and his gang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose Wulf had to die in order for there to be a good reason for Johnny to go totally postal on Max Bubba and his gang

They could have gotten the same reaction from Johnny by having Bubba kill his useless sister, Ruth, who added nothing to the strip at all!