Options

Royal Engagement Ring

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't see an existing thread.

one for the ladies probably, although I'm male.

How would you feel about getting your fiance's mum's ring. I can see it both ways - but I think maybe I would prefer a new one.

Also, do you think Prince Charles will feel discomfited seeing the ring on Kate's finger?

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the image Kate will be faced with everytime she looks in the mirror.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    It's a nice gesture, but maybe it will always be known as Diana's.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd feel it was a bad omen.
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Diana had died whilst in a happy, loving marriage, I see no problem. I do, however, think that this ring only signifies a broken marriage, and one founded on lies.
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want to wear Diana's ring. After all, there's not many happy connotations with that marriage, are there?!

In different circumstances though, I can understand the gesture. My own engagement ring was my husband's grandmother's ring, and her mother in law's before that.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the finger still attached? :p
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're lucky a light fingered butler didn't take it for safe keeping. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DonScaramangaDonScaramanga Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How would you feel about getting your fiance's mum's ring. I can see it both ways - but I think maybe I would prefer a new one.

Also, do you think Prince Charles will feel discomfited seeing the ring on Kate's finger?

I shouldn't think Prince Charles would be too bothered given the fact that the coming together of Princess Diana and himself, was nothing more than a glorified arranged marriage.
    I hope she sees it as a symbol of what his mother meant to him and would never let that happen to them.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    These are times of Austerity. We must reuse and recycle. What example would it set him buying her a brand new engagement ring when the family already had a perfectly good one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally wouldn't be too happy with that particular ring, I would appreciate the sentiments behind giving me something of my future husband's Mum but it's not like the marriage that represents made his Mother particularly happy.

If Diana had died whilst still happily married, then I would have been really pleased with the ring but she didn't!

Plus it's really garish and I'd prefer a simpler and smaller diamond ring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    These are times of Austerity. We must reuse and recycle. What example would it set him buying her a brand new engagement ring when the family already had a perfectly good one?

But there must be other family rings she could have had, one that had belonged to the Queen Mum maybe?
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Personally that ring seems very "eighties" to me- I remember how the windows of Ratners were full of copies when Charles and Diana got engaged!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But there must be other family rings she could have had, one that had belonged to the Queen Mum maybe?

It's just a ring. Whatever is available in the family will do. Maybe Harry can use the Queen Mum's if it's still knocking around?
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a horrible marriage and she died in a pretty rotten way, so I personally wouldn't want the same ring. Fine if it were recut. Plus it looks a bit dated now. If it were a properly old one from ages back, that would be cool.

ETA DianaInHeaven's making me laugh this morning:
    It's not even the real ring. I lost the real one up here playing poker with Roy Orbison.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i find it quite an ugly ring tbh, its a nice thought but i would prefer to pick my own ring
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plus, if you attached historical symbolism/luck to an engagement ring, giving Kate the Queen Mum's would be a terrible omen - she'd be forever choking on fishbones!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It's just a ring. Whatever is available in the family will do. Maybe Harry can use the Queen Mum's if it's still knocking around?

Well yeah it is just a ring I suppose but the ring stands for a marraige that I wouldn't want to emulate. Therefore I wouldn't want the ring.

I also really wouldn't want my boyfriend to think "that'll do, it's only a ring" when he picks a ring out for me. Or should I say, when he does think that, being a bloke, I don't want him to tell me he's put no thought into choosing the ring at all.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a recession on, he can't got out and get a £250,000 solitaire from Tiffany's so a recycled ring is the next best thing I suppose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't think I'd want to wear a ring purchased by my future father-in-law for a woman he couldn't stay faithful to :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think giving her that ring is a lot of pressure, what if she loses it ?
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Charles and Diana had an unhappy marriage and ended in divorce, I'm not sure the ring was such a good idea. When I heard it was the same ring, I thought that was a bad omen. Plus, it's very dated to look at. The setting is very 1980s. However, maybe they just wanted to save some cash.
  • Options
    ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the idea and the sentiment behind giving her that particular ring is nice, but i wouldnt want an engagement ring previously associated with an unhappy marriage.

That said she is probably that relieved to finally get an engagement ring on her finger, she would have taken whatever ring she was given.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to this Diana chose it because she liked it, I think thats quite nice. It's not to my taste although if I were her I would have that as an official ring and a smaller one of my choice for around the house. :o:D
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would love it. Some people wear their mothers/granmothers wedding dress, with alterations usually, I think the ring is a lovely gesture.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got married withh my mum's wedding ring. PArtly because we were broke but also because it means much more to me than any random ring bought in a shop could ever have meant.