Adopting a retired Greyhound

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I've spotted Perry in Happy Hounds, my friend rehomed him in October, awww.
  • *starburst**starburst* Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Hi grotbags! There should be a section for "spoilt hounds" and Coco would be right in there! He's asleep now at my feet, sprawled out on the rug surrounded by more toys and treats you could ever wish for! I've been trying to teach him how to play fetch and hes picking it up nicely :D

I'd love to spend more time around Greys, I've been looking for places to take him along, show him off and help out where possible. I might do a bit of digging later on and see if there's anywhere local I could go along to.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Aw, he's roaching! Always a good sign. :D Lurcher Link hold events around the country, not just for lurchers, all sighthounds welcome. Everything from greys to deerhounds to afghans. Most rescue groups hold wee events to help raise funds.

Grotbags that's lovely to hear, I know Kaye at Lurcher Link always appreciates fosterers and walkers even if you can't adopt.
  • mivvykinsmivvykins Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with your post - we've got a retired ex racing greyhound called Marley. They make brilliant pets, we got him by default straight from the trainers kennels as the owner was getting rid of him because at the age of 2 1/2 yrs his racing days were over. Marley had decided after 6 races that he'd rather be asleep somewhere comfy and didn't bother chasing the lure. A friend of mine came across the advert and wanted him, but her old grey didn't get on with Marley and I didn't want him going back to an uncertain future, so we've got him instead :p

Marley is also very clingy at home, especially when there's food around (what dog isn't?) except when let off his lead in a field, he does the biggest loop you've seen - quite disconcerting as you think he's never coming back!
    If we go out to work, I am lucky enough to be able to come home for lunch, so he's never left for more than 4 hours. I come home to boots, shoes, and his favourite - hubby's motorbike gloves - all 'nested' on his bed!! We've yet to train him to put them back :D

Dont believe what the rescue ladies said about stairs - without any encouragement from us, Marley decided from day one that he couldn't bear to be apart from any of us whilst visiting the bathroom or bedrooms. He motors up the stairs easily, and nimbly goes back down again!!

Marley is also super soppy with my teenage son, they have a special 'language' together. Son mutters to him, and Marley just gazes back with the biggest eyes (almost as big as when the biscuit tin comes out!)sticks his nose in sons face, and paws him for a belly rub.

If you want a laugh, there's a few videos on Youtube about greyhounds going upstairs backwards worth a look.

We had to change Marley's bed as we'd bought one with a zip off cover. Greyhounds like to 'make' their own bed (also on Youtube!) and Marley somehow caught the zip in the skin between his pads and ended up bleeding and limping for a day. He's now got a bed that's completely sealed all way around with air trapped inside it. That's topped off with a fleece padded mat that I can wash.

Marley gets Burgess Supadog Retired Greyhound complete food - we've found he loves it most and it keeps his teeth lovely and clean.

I wish more people would think of adopting greyhounds, there was a Government report by an All Party group of MP's in 2008 that found over 7,000 greyhounds that are registered from birth go 'missing' every year. :cry::mad:

Getting Coco to meet your dad might take a while - give him time :)

PM me if you need anymore info :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi grotbags! There should be a section for "spoilt hounds" and Coco would be right in there! He's asleep now at my feet, sprawled out on the rug surrounded by more toys and treats you could ever wish for! I've been trying to teach him how to play fetch and hes picking it up nicely :D

I'd love to spend more time around Greys, I've been looking for places to take him along, show him off and help out where possible. I might do a bit of digging later on and see if there's anywhere local I could go along to.

*starburst* - I'm not sure if J7 M62 (towards Liverpool is too far), but the Merseyside rescue place advertise weekly/regular walks for all grey owners (mostly those who have re-homed greys). I see these adverts on their Facebook page but maybe they advertise on a website also?

Loved reading the story about Marley.

Hi back to you Aarghawasp!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    I love threads about Greys only because I have a gorgeous one of my own, I only had a quick scan of the posts but I think I noticed someone mentioned Lurcher link, well another good website is "The hound lounge" oh and if you want to spoil your grey with collars and the likes then check out "Silver Peacock", they have some very nice stuff :)
  • caboosecaboose Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    We have had greyhounds and lurchers for over 18 years now and had several ex racers. Currently got a large failed racer who was lucky not to be put down as he didnt like chasing things!, a saluki cross greyhound and a pair of whippet crosses. One thing which most people seem to think is that they need a lot of exercise but ours are happy with a couple of walks each day, around a mile each time.
    Another site which has a lot of links to greyhound and lurcher rescues in the uk is http://www.galr.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caboose - Saluki's are gorgeous! Awww, your ex racer sounds very lucky indeed.

I went both days this weekend to volunteer walking at the rescue centre and the more I go the more I am falling in love with them! Just got to win the lottery so I don't have to work and then I'll be able to have one or two :)

I know they're mostly couch potatoe's but we're out of the house for 10 hours of the day, so it just wouldn't be fair.
  • *starburst**starburst* Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Just found a fantastic website, I put in Coco's pedigree details, and date of birth and it brings up all his race stats and ancestry/blood lines, it's amazing! I know his parents and siblings names, and it would appear that my lazy boy was a bit naff at chasing a hare!! :D:(

He had 7 races, came 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th - between April and May this year! His siblings have raced over 3o times! No wonder he just sleeps most of the day away :D

It's so funny when he doesn't want me to put his coat on or go for his walk he either leans against something and won't budge or runs upstairs, hides on my bed and peeps with the biggest saddest eyes!!

He's getting so much more used to us now, he loves wandering in and out of the back garden and loves going anywhere new (but sometimes won't get out of the car, I have to gently push his bum!) - I don't use his muzzle and he's completely fine around smaller animals - in fact he's quite scared of his own shadow!

I'm wondering about how I'd know if he'd be ok off the lead? He walks so well and practically walks stuck to my leg and doesn't pull or get distracted - is it worth the risk? Has anyone experience of trying?

Apart from his bone idle-ness he is just beautifully natured and so so loving.. I'm really glad I took a risk with the adoption, and I feel like I've saved him a life of kennels and racing.

*I heart pointy dogs too* :)
  • caboosecaboose Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering about how I'd know if he'd be ok off the lead? He walks so well and practically walks stuck to my leg and doesn't pull or get distracted - is it worth the risk? Has anyone experience of trying?
    The best way to try your dog off the lead is find a well enclosed field without any gaps in the hedges and then let your dog off the lead. If you take a few treats with you it helps with recall. Dont let him off in a public area until you are sure he wont go an pick up the nearest small dog ! (happened to me once with a ex racer)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or try finding an organised event especially for letting greys have a 15 minute run around. The Merseyside centre hires out an equestrian centre for this, it sounds such fun!

It sounds like Coco is very happy :)