Options

Game of Thrones is coming to Freeview

union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I mentioned this in the other Game of Thrones thread but I guess new viewers wouldn't be reading it as it focused on season 2.

Non-Sky Atlantic viewers will be able to watch Game of Thrones on FREEVIEW channel Pick TV from Thursday 3rd January 2013, airing at 10pm!!

Spread the word.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further research suggests 24th. glad you were right though. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also notice the first episode of Elementary is on before it, I hope this isn't another Sky free weekend pass.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    I hope this isn't another Sky free weekend pass.

I think it likely it is, putting Game of Thrones on free to air is the complete reverse of the marketing strategy for it till now, they have been trying to keep it exclusive. Netflix and Itunes weren't able to buy the rights to it for example.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    I also notice the first episode of Elementary is on before it, I hope this isn't another Sky free weekend pass.

That's a shame because it would have been great to see Game of Thrones on freeview. Still, I do usually enjoy the weekend passes but nothing they could put on there would ever make me pay out a small fortune each month for a couple more decent channels and a load of rubbish ones!
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the fact it's airing on a Thursday might suggest otherwise, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see it on my onscreen tv guide. The Thursday line-up is Treasure Island, Elementary and Game of Thrones.

It would be odd to make a Thursday their free weekend pass, especially when they include part one of their Treasure Island mini series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's more, nothing is advertised for airing on Friday.

Sky used to show 24 on Sky 3, as this was a way for terrestrial viewers to see such programmes as they didn't get a second airing on Channel, BBC1 etc, like some programmes do, maybe this is a way of it happening again, like I say, here's hoping.
  • Options
    Pierced MusiePierced Musie Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping that this is the full showing of Game of Thrones because I had been planning on buying the DVD's without knowing if I would like the show. PickTV seems to be showing some good things lately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Unless they do a Battlestar Galactica like they did on Sky 3 and only show one series.
  • Options
    PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not a weekend pass. We will get the full S1 of Game of thrones and elementary S1 plus the 2nd series of Modern family :D

Picktv has a new director. Hence new stuff. There is even 2 films on Tuesday that will be the first since the Sky3 days!

you can find more in this thread
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1659964&page=5
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prilicla wrote: »
    It is not a weekend pass. We will get the full S1 of Game of thrones and elementary S1 plus the 2nd series of Modern family :D

Picktv has a new director ladlow. There is 2 films on tomorrow

you can find more in this thread
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1659964&page=5

Thanks for the info, sounds good :)

I didn't get on with ASOIAF books (seriously, is there anyone Martin hasn't killed yet?) and found them rather confusing. I've heard good things about the TV show though, how do others think they compare to the books?
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, might actually give it a watch then.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »

I didn't get on with ASOIAF books (seriously, is there anyone Martin hasn't killed yet?) and found them rather confusing. I've heard good things about the TV show though, how do others think they compare to the books?

They are very faithful but they lose a lot of detail adapting pretty dense books. I have heard people being very confused over the wealth of characters and houses.. If you found the books hard to follow then you might have similar troubles. I guess you can still enjoy the scenery and the stabbings though :-P
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I think it likely it is, putting Game of Thrones on free to air is the complete reverse of the marketing strategy for it till now, they have been trying to keep it exclusive. Netflix and Itunes weren't able to buy the rights to it for example.
    But they did put it on Sky One, so us VM subscribers could see it. They seem now to be using it as a draw for their exclusive channel.
  • Options
    Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info I have both boxed sets but I will watch again to add to viewing figures. I cannot wait to see series 3 i preferred series 1,
    2 was a little slower for me and I missed Khal and Stark.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    But they did put it on Sky One, so us VM subscribers could see it. They seem now to be using it as a draw for their exclusive channel.

Exactly. Give them a taste and hope to hook them in to being a subscriber.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »

They follow the books pretty closely Lowri, at least in Season One, there is more deviation, although the characters all end up at the same place, in Season Two. They're probably easier to watch than they are to read though.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info I have both boxed sets but I will watch again to add to viewing figures. I cannot wait to see series 3 i preferred series 1,
    2 was a little slower for me and I missed Khal and Stark.

Second half of S2 > S1 > First half of S2
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite surprised that Elementary is on as it's still in it's first season on Living. Good news for for Freeview viewers either way though.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    union_jak wrote: »
    I can see it on my onscreen tv guide. The Thursday line-up is Treasure Island, Elementary and Game of Thrones.

It would be odd to make a Thursday their free weekend pass, especially when they include part one of their Treasure Island mini series.

Also Modern Family Season 2 starts 24th as well (19:00, repeated after GoT).

Also Season 2 of Suits starts 9pm on Dave the same night (clashes with Elementary, but is repeated the following night at 8pm)
  • Options
    kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I think that this is part of the Sky free Thursdays promotion and is continuing for twelve weeks until April. However, the concerning thing is that the advert says that it will be a pick of Sky TV with "selected episodes"
    You might find that the full season of these programmes is not shown which would be infuriating from aviewer's perspective.

I can sort of see the benefit of this approach from a marketing point of view. Hook someone in by showing a few select episodes of a show. If you opted to broadcast the full season on freeview then the viewer might just decide to wait until the next season becomes available on freeview again. Therefore no reason to subscribe and the main point of Sky making these otherwise subscription shows available for free goes out the window.

https://skythursdays.sky.com/index.php
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's only a few episodes I might give it a miss now. Doesn't seem worth it.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first season is 10 episodes so they could show all of that. I'd like to know for sure though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always wanted to get into this show so i set it for a series record the other day. I am gonna wait for all 10 episodes to air and have like a marathon, so i can then check out Series 2 and then get read for Series 3.