Should children be entitled to a share of their parents' estate?

124»

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    I disagree. Once you have a child, you have an unconditional duty to provide for that child. Baring very exceptional circumstances (e.g. the abuse of the parent/s by the child), parents who cut their children out of their wills are revolting.

Not once they reach 18 you don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I'm in my early 20's and don't have this sense of entitlement, never have, never will. Everything I have, either I've bought or it was a gift(s) off my mother after going through 18 months to two years of hell. If I want something, I never go to my mum (or anyone), I always save for it, then buy it, hence why my broken laptop is still broken.

Not everyone has a sense of entitlement, it's actually very few.

I agree with this, to be honest. It's not the "current generations" - a few self-entitled people do not speak for us all.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Plenty of children are cut out of their parents lives for very good reason. Once a child becomes an adult, it is their responsibility to provide for themselves. The only time it would be ok to contest a will is if it is obvious that the person has been manipulated/conned into writing the will.

There was a case in Ireland recently where a judge (who was a solicitor at the time) tried to con a couple into leaving money to her children. You also hear stories of people who suddenly lose their partner and are targeted by gold diggers.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    We are not overly wealthy but we have three shops and a house. People assume we have more money than we do have.

My daughters boss is always saying to her 'you'll be so well off when your parents die'. She is horrified by that attitude - also when she needs anything or is a bit short he's always telling her 'ask your dad'.

We have three kids - they've never gone without but we don't spoil them. This man (the boss) has two young children and spoils them rotten with everything ......................my daughter has a great job and is paid well - I believe because she has a good work ethic - I don't think this mans kids will make much of themselves as it's all handed to them on a plate.