Tescos Sales down Again. Thoughts on Aldi Supermarket?

Comments

• Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Aldi. Don't like Lidl much but I always shop at Aldi. I think their food is good quality and nice prices too. Tesco have got way too expensive, hopefully people are finally coming to their senses and shopping elsewhere.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,030
    Forum Member
    I haven't got a local Aldi but I would use it if I did. I've got Lidl near by and use it frequently and have found their food to be of good quality. Always have their Christmas pud as it tastes lovely and is a really good price for the size. Their meat, veg, pies and milk are also very good.
    I buy 200g of sliced ham in the 99p store, which is really nice and brilliant value along with branded toilet cleaner etc.
    The rest of my shopping I do in Asda and Iceland, who I know people slate, but I've found most of their food to be very good. You can shop online with them now and it's free delivery if you spend over £25. You can save a lot on branded food there as well eg. 4 tins Heinz beans for £2.50.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to get over the sobbery as you really are missing out!!

I have been shopping in Aldi for ages now (its 5 mins from home) and within the last 6 months the number of customers have doubled. In my opinion the quality of food is much better than the other known supermarkets.

In the last few months a load of new ranges has been added which is even better. I used to say I wouldent be able to do a full shop there but now I easily could.

It takes a while to get used to but thats the same whenever you try a new place. The special buys on Thursdays and Sundays also offer fab value for money items.

The only thing I dont like about Aldi is that most of the fish is caugh using puse seine methods. Really must drop them an email about this.

Give it a go :) (hate these smileys)
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like some of their cereal, chocolate, frozen pizzas and their Specially Selected range. With regards to the latter it's like buying Tesco Finest range for half the price. The only real problem is the range that they offer. In some (most) respects it's very limited, this isn't really a major problem though as I ony really buy specific items. I do wish they would at least trial some larger stores that operate more like a supermarket, but I can see wy they stick with their winning formula.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    What I notced Tesco doing quite a lot was up the price of an item from let's say £3 to £5 - then after a week or two they'd put it back to £3 and sensationalise the apparently huge reduction.

This is what I like most about Aldi. Their prices are consistent week after week. No BOGOFs, no loss leaders, the only time they do special offers is with the fruit and veg.

Wonderful store. I haven't set foot in Tesco in years.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Aldi's brilliant.

Super 6 is a lifesaver in me household. The chocolate and biscuits are as good, if not better than Tesco's.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a 1.5% drop in sales, including none like-for-like their sales were actually up. Hardly the beginning of the end is it?

No it's not the beginning of the end but whilst it doesn't seem much to see their market share contract at all will not be good news in their boardroom. Sainsburys are right on their tail now as the second largest and have got their act together over the last two years. The service I've been getting in my local Tesco supermarket is nothing short of not good enough. Their staff I have experienced are poorly trained and consequently unhelpful and the standard of their fresh food has definitely waned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big fan of Aldi, but I do have to venture into Tesco/Sainbury's/whatever for some of my favourite brands. For day to day items though I can't fault it and if I was really on a budget I think I could easily get everything from there.

Really gone off Tesco in recent times, it's expensive and the quality of much of their own brand foods are often a let down. It's only got familiarity going in it's favour at the moment in my opinion. Anybody that uses both a Tesco superstore & a Tesco Express should really take notice of the price differences, many things are considerably more expensive in the Express stores which I find disappointing.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we keep a lid on this please we don't want the food snobs to wise up or Aldi will get crowded.
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are finally realizing that Tesco are expensive you don't get those points for nothing;)
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a bit of a snob whenever the thought of shopping in Aldi or Lidl is concerned but the sales of Aldi are up 11% like for like. 30% up on UK revenue factoring in new stores. Tescos down 1% like for like. Now Aldi mince pies have been voted the best beating Fortnums Tescos et al.

Is it time now to give them a try?

The Best Mince Pies according to Which Magazine December 2013

1. Aldi Specially Selected 6 Luxury Mince Pies (£1.69 for six) 78%
    2. Lidl Snowy Lodge 6 Luxury Mince Pies (£1.79 for six) 70%
    3. M&S Handcrafted Ultimate All Butter Mince Pies (£4 for four) 70%
    4. Tesco Finest Deep Filled All Butter Pastry Mince Pies (£2.50 for six) 68%
    5. Harrods Luxury Almond & Brandy Mince Pies (£9.50 for six) 66%
    6. Sainsbury's Taste the Difference All Butter Mince Pies (£2.50 for six) 66%
    7. Asda Extra Special Luxury Mince Pies (£2 for six) 65%
    8. Waitrose All Butter Mince Pies (£2.50 for six) 59%
    9. The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Luxury All Butter Mince Pies (£2.50 for six) 58%
    10. Selfridges Traditional Mince Pies (£6.99 for six) 58%
    11. Morrisons M Signature All Butter Deep Filled Mince Pies (£2 for six) 55%
    12. Fortnum & Mason Traditional Mince Pies (£12.95 for six) 54%

My shopping consists of visiting the local markets, butchers, Aldi, Morrisons and Costco.
    I have more or less have done the big shop.

In terms of toiletries- I go to Home Bargains, Instore, Wilkinson and B & M.

Perhaps the odd trip to Tesco or Asda now and then but I don't bother with them anymore given that the quality has gone downhill but the price hasn't.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the buying power Tescos have their prices are truly shocking.

I tend to shop around a bit and get the likes of crisps and coke from B and M,Home Bargains or the Pound shop,and frozen food from FarmFoods.

I call into one of the big Supermarkets,usually Morrison's for a big shop every so often but if I know I can buy something cheaper elsewhere,I just won't buy it.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Fortnum and Masons charge £13 for 6 mince pies!? I don't care how good they are, and clearly the testers dont think so, no pie is worth that much and more fool anybody who pays for them.

If the mince pies in Aldi are that good I may give them a go.

Or better still, make your own and save yourself a fortune.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Can we keep a lid on this please we don't want the food snobs to wise up or Aldi will get crowded.

That's very true. I've noticed over the past year or so that my local Aldi has got much busier. And it certainly isn't only the poor shopping there - many customers turn up in their expensive cars etc and clearly aren't short of money. I think many people have begun to realise just how good the quality of food is at Aldi.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish everybody would would stop pushing Aldi - I now have to go at 8am or spend quite a while at the check-out - they are very quick but the queue is now so long if I go mid-morning. :cry:
    Try their Christmas cake - the oblong one covered in glace cherries and Brazil nuts - ours has all gone and have to get another one tomorrow and see how long that lasts.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Angela F wrote: »

Or better still, make your own and save yourself a fortune.

Make my own? I'd struggle to make beans on toast!

No seriously I wish I had the time to try.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what Aldi is like with regards to vegetarian/vegan products?
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get all my basics from Aldi, milk, cheese bread, fruit, veg, natural yoghurt, nappies for my toddler, shower gel, washing up liquid, dog food, all excellent quality and cheaper than Tesco or Asda, Asda always has promotions shouting 'look, this item is only £1!', but same produce is often much less in Aldi. I used to do ALL my weekly shop in Tescos, now I hardly ever go there, just for some items that Aldis don't stock.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we have just had an Aldi tea, 21 day aged ribeye steak and potato wedges. The steaks were £4.60 and big and the wedges were 69p.
    No Nasty black potatoes used in the wedges that had a savory onion coating and the steaks were far nicer than tesco and Morrisons.

Very nice and better than tesco and Morrisons in our opinion
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Just go to ASDA, knocks spots of Tesco IMHO and prices consistently much lower.

If this was ebay id give you a +1 :)

Asda seems to be consistently cheaper than tesco for most items i shop for. Plus our local asda now has a drive thru click and collect :) very useful for avoiding the christmas hustle and bustle :)

I always get confused between lidl and aldi. Never know which one to go to and generally dont bother as the choice at asda is better

Looking at this thread thought i might give aldi or lidl a try. I doubt they will stock everything i want but worth a try

I think they will be very busy in the next few weeks after the snobs hear aboit them in the news
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    TerryH wrote: »
    I personally couldn't do a 'proper' shop in Aldi, we go to Sainsbury's for that, however Aldi have some very good quality items.

A lot of their own brand items are on par with the big names and are a hell of a lot cheaper.

A lot of their fresh food is also very nice, for the cost I would say try it and if you don't like it then don't buy it again.

Aldi stores have improved a lot over the last couple of years.

I would agree with this. Aldi quality I find is variable. Their own muesli for example is vile. However, the fresh fruit and vegetables are very good value and quality. However, I do find the range of products somewhat limited.

I tend to shop at both Asda or Morrisons for the items I cannot get at Aldi.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M&S is an expensive hole. £4 for 4 mince pies is ridiculous.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went into the Aldi store opposite Edgbaston during a break in play earlier this year and I wasn't impressed with the choice.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aldi brioche... Drool....
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goneril wrote: »
    Aldi's meat is much ,much better than the shoe leather Asda calls meat.
    I had a piece of their beef for last Sunday's lunch and it was lovely and tender, back this weekend for another lump,
    barbeler wrote: »
    Even though I have a Tesco and Sainsbury's on my doorstep, I willingly drive over ten miles to go to the nearest Aldi. Tesco's prices are a joke and I only have to buy a couple of slabs of Aldi's wonderful extra mature cheddar to recover most of the fuel cost. Asda's great for food, although their electrical goods look a bit dodgy.

Aldi's electrical goods are great value,AND they carry a 3yr warranty
    I have just bought of their 9.5Kw showers for 59.99 and it's fantastic.