What's your view of Cornwall

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't like it here in Gods own county they can stay away.
    I think all emetts should have to bring passports and go through "passport control" at the bridge before they are allowed in. :D:D:D

Which bridge, The Tamar road bridge or Brunel's railway bridge? Besides, there are plenty of other ways of invading Cornwall.

It's grockle in Devon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_%28Cornish%29
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/grockle

And Gods own (chosen) county is Devon, btw, not Cornwall. :p
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Which bridge, The Tamar road bridge or Brunel's railway bridge? Besides, there are plenty of other ways of invading Cornwall.

It's grockle in Devon.

Jra do you have something against Cornwall?
    Forum Member
    Never been but have been told by a few people that like other UK destinations it can work out really expensive for a decent holiday there, which is why I always holiday abroad, cheaper, better food & better weather. :D

Well, this is another matter for debate. I pay virtually nothing to see my dad in Devon, though I don't go very often these days.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornwall is my very favourite place. We go once or twice a year. Gwithian beach is second to none.

Mind you, we'd been going to Hayle for years where theres a big Philps before my youngest lcould read. It was inly then he pointed out to us when he was about 9 that it was Philps not Philips.
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »

No, that was explained above. I'm just making comparisons between the two counties. I'm surprised that so many tourists just whizz down the A38, thinking they have hit holiday nirvana in Cornwall and don't even bother to have a look around at Devon for comparison purposes, as if the county has nothing to offer at all and is just a place you pass through on the way to Cornwall. Actually, I don't mind particularly, as the more people that skip Devon on the way to Cornwall, a bit less crowded Devon will be, hopefully. A win win situation for me, but not for people trying to make a living out of tourism in Devon. Judging by some of the replies on here, it's almost as if Devon doesn't exist.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Nice place to visit, with probably some of the best beaches in the world IF the weather is good. I can fully understand why the locals get hacked off with the hordes of tourists though!

My cousin married a chap from Cornwall. He did not leave Cornwall until he was over 40, and that was only to go to Plymouth, and as far as I know has not left the county since.
    I like the tourists. They bring a great energy to the place (and there were plenty more in London when I lived there). Plus, I think I can hardly ever be a tourist myself, if I mind others doing the same or mind people moving here, when I've lived elsewhere.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, that was explained above. I'm just making comparisons between the two counties. I'm just surprised that so many tourists just whizz down the A38, thinking they have hit holiday nirvana in Cornwall and don't even bother to have a look around at Devon for comparison purposes, as if the county has nothing to offer at all and is just a place you pass through on the way to Cornwall. Actually, I don't mind particularly, as the more people that skip Devon on the way to Cornwall, a bit less crowded Devon will be, hopefully. A win win situation for me, but not for people trying to make a living out of tourism in Devon. Judging by some of the replies on here, it's almost as if Devon doesn't exist.
    If you started a thread about Devon, I'm sure people would say how much they liked it.

This is about Cornwall, so people are talking about Cornwall.

They may all be aware of Devon's glories and have been there but keeping to the topic at hand.
    Forum Member
    No, that was explained above. I'm just making comparisons between the two counties. I'm surprised that so many tourists just whizz down the A38, thinking they have hit holiday nirvana in Cornwall and don't even bother to have a look around at Devon for comparison purposes, as if the county has nothing to offer at all and is just a place you pass through on the way to Cornwall. Actually, I don't mind particularly, as the more people that skip Devon on the way to Cornwall, a bit less crowded Devon will be, hopefully. A win win situation for me, but not for people trying to make a living out of tourism in Devon. Judging by some of the replies on here, it's almost as if Devon doesn't exist.

You get all us Cornish folk up regularly what more do you want!!!
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I've been there a couple of times and I agree that it is a lovely place for a holiday with beautiful countryside and beaches and pretty villages. I imagine living there could be different though-I'm not sure how easy it would be to find work there. I guess a lot of the jobs would be seasonal and lack of public transport could make it harder if you don't have a car.
    Forum Member
    You get all us Cornish folk up regularly what more do you want!!!

Have you got any (additional) comments to make on the posts below, since you decided to comment on mine.
    Been to Devon and I tend to think of the two as pretty much the same place so if similar then I'd think of it as a lovely place to live. We stayed in Kenton but visited Exeter, Newton Abbot, Teignmouth and Dawlish. Enjoyed visiting all. Think we had a day in Torquay too.
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Full of inbred weirdos. What's not to LIKE???! :-)
    U96 wrote: »
    'If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air,quaint little villages,here and there.....'.
    I love the ex fishing villages, I love fowey but out of season, in July/August crowded and horrid
    Fantastic broadband.
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Nice views but the people come across as *******.
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    If you started a thread about Devon, I'm sure people would say how much they liked it.

This is about Cornwall, so people are talking about Cornwall.

They may all be aware of Devon's glories and have been there but keeping to the topic at hand.

As you know, threads on DS are going to go somewhat off topic most of the time, and they mostly do.
    Forum Member
    Have you got any (additional) comments to make on the posts below, since you decided to comment on mine.

I commented on your post as you had made a few posts comparing Devon to Cornwall
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I love Cornwall and had family ties there. My brother was a skipper down in Newlyn for quite a few years so I spent a lot of time around the area and fell in love with it's wildness and heritage. I particulalrly love Sennan and Lamorna, Marizion and Mousehole. All are best out of season though. More recently I visited Lostwithiel and Looe and found them charming too but they didn't have the emotional tug of the former.

I've also been to Devon and Dorset. Both are very beautiful but, for me, they lacked the rawness of Cornwall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Cornwall with my parents when I was little and had a lovely time. Would like to go back one day but it's a long journey with lots of train changing.

When I went with my parents you could get a train to Cornwall with out lots train changing.

I would go again if it was easier to get the place.
    Forum Member
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    I love Cornwall and had family ties there. My brother was a skipper down in Newlyn for quite a few years so I spent a lot of time around the area and fell in love with it's wildness and heritage. I particulalrly love Sennan and Lamorna, Marizion and Mousehole. All are best out of season though. More recently I visited Lostwithiel and Looe and found them charming too but they didn't have the emotional tug of the former.

I've also been to Devon and Dorset. Both are very beautiful but, for me, they lacked the rawness of Cornwall.

Fair enough. I prefer things to be a bit greener and hilly in general on the eye. I've been to every one of those places you've mentioned, plus many other places in Cornwall.

St. Germans river, the Lyhner river on my dads yacht, plus touring about by small boat in the area. Erth Island was a wildlife haven at the time, plus during that boating tour, I lost an oar overboard. My dad was not best pleased, but we managed to retrieve it.

Calstock. Visited there by rubber dinghy, plus small outboard, via the Tamar river, see above. We were moored near Pentille (sp) castle on the big river Tamer bend, as our base at the time. This was when you had to dunk milk overboard, attached to a rope, in order to keep it fresh and cold (UHT milk excluded). No fridges in those days for small yachts. A motor launch came past with tourists on board, while we were having lunch at anchor, passing far too close, thus not reducing its wake, spilling our lunch everywhere. >:(

The rest below by car (day trip sort of style). I spent three months touring Cornwall.

Gunnislake.
    Mullion cove.
    Kynance cove.
    Lamorna cove.
    St. Anthonys head.
    Logan rock.
    St. Just in Roseland.
    Cape Cornwall.
    Lands End.
    Newquay.
    St. Ives.
    Cawsand bay.
    Rame head.
    Mevagissy.
    Bodmin Moor.
    Porthcurno cove.
    Lerryn.
    Fowey.
    Gribben head.
    Polperro.
    Across the River Fal on the King Harry ferry.
    Cadgwith.

etc.

A shortlist really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. I prefer things to be a bit greener and hilly in general on the eye. I've been to every one of those places you've mentioned, plus many other places in Cornwall.

St. Germans river, the Lyhner river on my dads yacht, plus touring about by small boat in the area. Erth Island was a wildlife haven at the time, plus during that boating tour, I lost an oar overboard. My dad was not best pleased, but we managed to retrieve it.

Calstock. Visited there by rubber dinghy, plus small outboard, via the Tamar river, see above. We were moored near Pentille (sp) castle on the big river Tamer bend, as our base at the time. This was when you had to dunk milk overboard, attached to a rope, in order to keep it fresh and cold (UHT milk excluded). No fridges in those days for small yachts. A motor launch came past with tourists on board, while we were having lunch at anchor, passing far too close, thus not reducing its wake, spilling our lunch everywhere. >:(

The rest below by car (day trip sort of style). I spent three months touring Cornwall.

Gunnislake.
    Mullion cove.
    Kynance cove.
    Lamorna cove.
    St. Anthonys head.
    Logan rock.
    St. Just in Roseland.
    Cape Cornwall.
    Lands End.
    Newquay.
    St. Ives.
    Cawsand bay.
    Rame head.
    Mevagissy.
    Bodmin Moor.
    Porthcurno cove.
    Lerryn.
    Fowey.
    Gribben head.
    Polperro.
    Cadgwith.

etc.

A shortlist really.

Your touring and yachting sound idyllic :)

I've also visited a few of the places you mentioned. St. Ives actually left me cold because it was heaving and I couldn't get the feel of the place, I could see it was very picturesque however and I loved a couple of the galleries. Polperro is very pretty, best chocolate shop too! I loved the desolation of Bodmin too a,nd stayed at the Jamaica Inn, which was touristy fun.

I went fishing a good many times with my brother, if only from small fishing boats, not the monsters he went to sea on. Have never been on a yacht though.

I'm not knocking Devon btw but I had my fill of beautiful rolling hills in Shropshire and Cornwall is such a different landscape. I've only been to Totnes and Dartmouth, to visit another brother who was in the Naval college there. Dartmouth was lovely.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went there several times years ago before it got really busy. Can't be doing with all the crowds and busy roads now, so stay well away. There are equally nice places which are not so,busy.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have one, can't see it from here :D

:(
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gunnislake.
    Mullion cove.
    Kynance cove.
    Lamorna cove.
    St. Anthonys head.
    Logan rock.
    St. Just in Roseland.
    Cape Cornwall.
    Lands End.
    Newquay.
    St. Ives.
    Cawsand bay.
    Rame head.
    Mevagissy.
    Bodmin Moor.
    Porthcurno cove.
    Lerryn.
    Fowey.
    Gribben head.
    Polperro.
    Cadgwith.

etc.

A shortlist really.

Mullion and Cawsand are lovely. As is Polperro.
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member

It's grockle in Devon.

Both bridges and Torpoint ferry to be sunk.
    Lets not forget clotted cream.
    Devon cream tea.....cream on scone first then jam on top.
    Cornish cream tea....jam on scone first then cream on top.
    The reason for that is because CCC is far superior than DCC, we do not have to hide it he he he :D:D:D
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why so many Cornish people seemingly dislike "emmets". Surely they're aware that a heck of a lot of businesses rely on tourists.

Presumably they never go on holiday elsewhere...
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    never been but i would think of doc martin when i hear about it. i know it has its own language
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it seems rather quaint. or so the tourist board would have us believe!

I'm sure there are rough shit areas but everywhere has those
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public transport here can make things very difficult. The only major hospital is in Truro which is a fair old trek if you live in North Cornwall, made even worse if you don't have a car

wouldn't somewhere in devon be closer from north cornwall?
  • debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who has lived in Cornwall for many years I can honestly say it is not what it seems. Yea the scenery is breathtaking and the coastline stunning.....the people are friendly HOWEVER Cornwall is one of the poorest counties in the UK. Inland is completely different from the tourist spots. Inside Cornwall there is deprivation, poor services and an infrastructure that is collapsing under it.

Cornwall have some expensive services in the country and the wettest weather with a high vulnerability to flood (as I have found out to my detriment). Sadly this is a situation that many find themselves trapped in. If I could afford to move I would but sadly I find myself trapped living in a historically flooded area that no one else wishes to live in.

Cornwall for holidays is hit and miss. Book a caravan or camping site and cross your fingers and pray for sun. There are no guarantees anymore of sunshine.

Sadly too Cornwall ditches much of its sewage into the sea making beaches dirty. Anyone who wishes for a recommendation for water sports in the South West should read this from the Senior Waste Water Manager South West Water (whilst I appreciate he hi lights N Devon, it is the same in Cornwall) http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2128554/Sea-dirty-swim-heavy-rain-admits-water-chief-company-pumped-sewage-coastal-waters-42-times-year.html

Many homes in Cornwall have been sewer flooded...it really isn't as idyllic as it looks.