What do you want to see more of on tv?

candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Personally, I would like more historical documentaries, heavyweight political satire and some entertaining spoofing shows like spitting image or harry hill's show before it became infantile.

Far less cooking shows, aside from master chef and bake off, and no more stupid programmes claming to educate us on obesity, food and health when all they say is the bleeding obvious!!

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would like more historical documentaries, heavyweight political satire and some entertaining spoofing shows like spitting image or harry hill's show before it became infantile.

Far less cooking shows, aside from master chef and bake off, and no more stupid programmes claming to educate us on obesity, food and health when all they say is the bleeding obvious!!

BBC4 does a very great range of historical programmes. It would be good to see the BBC venture more into archaeology. Time Team do the odd special still but usually miss them and they are not up to the standard of the original series. Channel 5 dabbled with it but not very successfully.
  • GrolsGrols Posts: 288,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More good drama's and much less reality tv :o
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more cookery shows, there just arnt enough .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no bloody reality shows! put comedy back on where it should be.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do I want to see? A drama set in the modern era, with:
    A long-run series in 1 hour episodes.
    In English.
    An intelligent, grown-up, novel, plot with a beginning a middle and a well-defined END
    Nuanced, multi-layered, ambiguous characters.
    Competent writing, acting and production.

Leave out all the crap, clichéd, derivative, lazy, padded-out writing. Especially: The emergency services (yawn!). Medical emergencies (double-yawn!). Crisis/Crime/Mystery/Murder of the week. Characters with "flaws" or "a past" that are supposed to make them interesting. Scenes that don't contribute directly to the story. Recaps and previews. Book dramatisations. Superheros, technology, fantasy, vampires (oh god, definitely leave out bloody :) vampires), aliens, supernatural malarky. Bad comedy.

Is that too much to ask for?
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    What do I want to see? A drama set in the modern era, with:
    A long-run series in 1 hour episodes.
    In English.
    An intelligent, grown-up, novel, plot with a beginning a middle and a well-defined END
    Nuanced, multi-layered, ambiguous characters.
    Competent writing, acting and production.

Leave out all the crap, clichéd, derivative, lazy, padded-out writing. Especially: The emergency services (yawn!). Medical emergencies (double-yawn!). Crisis/Crime/Mystery/Murder of the week. Characters with "flaws" or "a past" that are supposed to make them interesting. Scenes that don't contribute directly to the story. Recaps and previews. Book dramatisations. Superheros, technology, fantasy, vampires (oh god, definitely leave out bloody :) vampires), aliens, supernatural malarky. Bad comedy.

Is that too much to ask for?

Yes it is too much. You will have more reality shows, cooking and makeover. And you will enjoy them.
  • ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell's funeral....
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good ORIGINAL dramas. Not any more recycled stuff. ie Musketeers... And no more singing talent contests.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More good dramas like Broadchurch and (for all its faults) Shetland.

And less - a LOT less - cooking shows
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukbadge wrote: »
    Simon Cowell's funeral....

haha:D
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    True crime.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old kids tv
    Japanese anime
    Foregin language tv
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like more TV for adults. That is, not a sanitised portrayal of sex, kissing then a post coital scene with the woman either wearing a bra or cuddled up to the man's chest adoringly looking up at him (my god I hate that clichéd pose so much).

I have noticed some of Tina & Peter's scenes in Corrie were quite racy when compared to other shows- progress!

I applaud HBO for producing the likes of Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire.

Judging by the viewing numbers, I am not alone in appreciating adult tv.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Downe to make a major comeback on UK TV and have his own primetime variety show.

I was also going to suggest TV not being so coy and let it all hang out, but I thought I would be too crude. The above post suggested this though.