Depression. What helped you?

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,917
    Forum Member
    Counselling.

I hated every second of it, it was very uncomfortable. I'm glad that I did it though.
  • jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    www.helpmechill.com help me to relax and just generally chill out but also having a nice bath with candles.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st - counselling.
    It wasn't that successful, though, because it was brought in against my wishes. It at least forced me to recognise and accept I was experiencing a bout of depression.

2nd - after struggling for some months, I just walked away from it all. Job, flat, family, friends, everything.

I spent the next two years on wandering from one town to another, doing casual work and meeting people, good and bad, and avoiding my family. All the while, I learnt to make peace with the cause of my depression. I called this period 'the lost years'. Painful, but it lay the foundation of my current life. I haven't had a bout of depression since.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motivating myself

Planning for things so I have something to look forward to: For example I really want a game but I have set myself a task of clearing my flat before I reward myself with it. Also I would like to foster a cat so need my place clean and tidy to be even considered.

My cat

Plenty of water is good for you plus healthy eating. (Although I don't do nearly enough of this)
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I agree. Finding the cause and dealing with it is fundamental. Reactive depression, to an adult traumatic event is usually comparatively short lived. Childhood trauma is often the cause of long term depression. Many cases of, "I have nothing to be depressed about" can have childhood origin. Proper non time based counselling/ therapy are essential for any depression, if the client chooses that route.. This rarely happens the way it used to, not that the care offered was ever wholly satisfactory, because of decreasing Mental Health funding.
    A cheap short bandaid CBT course is the usual offer, which can be effective for finding methods of functioning within the depression but also seriously destructive when opening up painful history and then the therapy is ended as it is usually time based. Thankfully CBT is now under review, because of the catastrophic failures it has produced. It needs to be put in it's rightful place and become a choice.
    Anti-depressants are essential for some and can be literally a life saver in the acute phase. The downside is they take so long to become effective. Finding a support network, exercise, good diet etc. are also valuable for all forms of depression.
    There are also charitable agencies outside of the NHS such as Relate(not only about relationship counselling) and MIND. Google your own area to find out what's available.

BIB That is what happened to me. So was left much worse off than I was before with yet more shite going round and round in my head and not knowing how to fix it.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB That is what happened to me. So was left much worse off than I was before with yet more shite going round and round in my head and not knowing how to fix it.

I'm very sorry that happened to you. This has happened to so many people. Were you offered more appropriate therapy after that happened?
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What worked for me was the realisation that all pain passes and is an unavoidable part of life, and that I was reacting perfectly naturally to a significant event. That allowed me to come off medication, which I had only been on a couple of weeks, so I had no significant withdrawal problems. In my case the depression was caused by the end of a relationship. I was grieving, so of course it was going to hurt. Did I feel the same degree of grief and pain as each day passed? Of course not. It did become easier to bear, as it always does. By the time I started my counselling sessions I was already recovering. I felt the counselling was counterproductive and was liable to drag me backwards. Counselling might work for some, but it wasn't for me.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C.B.T gets a bad reputation that I feel is undeserved.

Because it's a short course therapy, it is often used to deal with low-level depression. It's aim is to change thought processes that are detrimental to good mental well-being.

If you made a serious attempt on your life, you wouldn't be sent for C.B.T, you'd probably be either sectioned, offered an elective stay in a hospital, or treated under the home treatment team, depending on the severity of your danger to yourself/others.

I'm currently on 30 mg of Mirtazapine, and also under the care of compass to tackle my drinking. If I can show that I can control my drinking for over 2 weeks, my GP will give me access to mental health services, but until then, I'm stuck with just the meds.

I'd been against drugs in the past, as I have had bad reactions to them, including an allergy, but I'm finding that the Mirtazapine seems to agree with me, it knocks me out for 12 hours a day, and all the noise that usually goes on in my head is gone, I'm quite spaced, and I find it hard to think, but it's definitely what I need right now, long term, I'll have to look at a combination of drugs and therapy, and will have to come off of the Mirtazipine, so that I can go back to work.

I've just realised amongst all my ramblings, that I haven't actually answered the O.P, so I'll keep this short, so far, I've found that nothing works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very sorry that happened to you. This has happened to so many people. Were you offered more appropriate therapy after that happened?

No I wasn't offered anything more. Just told I could go back on the list for more CBT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C.B.T gets a bad reputation that I feel is undeserved.

Because it's a short course therapy, it is often used to deal with low-level depression. It's aim is to change thought processes that are detrimental to good mental well-being.

If you made a serious attempt on your life, you wouldn't be sent for C.B.T, you'd probably be either sectioned, offered an elective stay in a hospital, or treated under the home treatment team, depending on the severity of your danger to yourself/others.

I'm currently on 30 mg of Mirtazapine, and also under the care of compass to tackle my drinking. If I can show that I can control my drinking for over 2 weeks, my GP will give me access to mental health services, but until then, I'm stuck with just the meds.

I'd been against drugs in the past, as I have had bad reactions to them, including an allergy, but I'm finding that the Mirtazapine seems to agree with me, it knocks me out for 12 hours a day, and all the noise that usually goes on in my head is gone, I'm quite spaced, and I find it hard to think, but it's definitely what I need right now, long term, I'll have to look at a combination of drugs and therapy, and will have to come off of the Mirtazipine, so that I can go back to work.

I've just realised amongst all my ramblings, that I haven't actually answered the O.P, so I'll keep this short, so far, I've found that nothing works.

I dont really have anything against CBT its just 6 weeks were not near enough sessions for someone like me. I dont think I should have had it, but sometimes "people" do like to be seen as doing something to help, even if its not want the other person needs.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting op and for everyone's suggestions hopefully they may be able to help someone. As many of you know I have battled serious depression for just over eight years and at times wanted to call it a day by overdosing but I am an only child and I couldn't do it to my parents.

For some reason my depression is at it's worst during the night when I can't get to sleep for worrying. I find that when I feel particularly bad I judge myself for feeling that way when other people are worse off than me. I try to remember that despite losing my health, career, friends and being in constant mental and physical pain because of what happened to me I can't give up and need to keep going.

I have seen an nhs councillor for eight years and I go and speak with her once a month which has helped. It is great to see someone who you can speak to who is independent about what you are going through and how it is is affecting you mentally and physically. I get advice on coping strategies etc which are useful. These appointments have definitely helped me cope better.

Medication for my depression has also helped I have tried a few medications but have found mirtazapine 45mg at night has been the most effective. I would say try a few medications and see what one helps a bit. You need to be realistic and understand there is no medication that will make you happy just a bit less down.

Otherwise I find getting out of the house helps I visit relatives, go to the park, go shopping, meet a friend for lunch or dinner, visit the seaside or Loch Lomond which are my favourite places. I have started going to the theatre and gigs of singers I like occasionally which has been enjoyable. I have loads of TV shows, movie DVDs and comedy DVDs to watch which help to distract me from my pain and depression for a while. My parents, family and best friend try their best to help me if I am feeling pretty bad.

I wish any of you who are suffering from depression the very best as it is a very destructive illness which can be deadly. Even people with no obvious health or personal problems can feel the need to harm or kill themselves. If you feel that way please talk to someone a family member, friend or your GP and tell them how you feel and that you need help there is absolutely no shame in asking for help.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I dont really have anything against CBT its just 6 weeks were not near enough sessions for someone like me. I dont think I should have had it, but sometimes "people" do like to be seen as doing something to help, even if its not want the other person needs.

i had the same thing with counselling - who sends a beeper to counselling?

i only got as far as the assessment anyway, i was as high as a kite at the time ["oooooh i`d love to take you on, we`ve had SUCH fun but i think you`re too severe for counselling"].
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many many thousands more available all generally money making and inadequate. What does a non qualified sufferer of PTSD know or understand about all forms of depression? Not a lot. It may help reactive depression or PTSD sufferers of course, if they're lucky. There is noting in his list which is any different to our knowledge. I see he's promoting CBT as a cure all therapy!

I agree Anne.

CBT helps some people but not others, and then maybe not long term. The hypothesis that we can change our emotions by changing our thoughts doesn't always work. We can force ourselves to think rationally but still have a strong emotion about something. Emotions aren't always rational and they tend to leach through.

There are other approaches, like just accepting our emotions, but not acting on them.

There really isn't an easy solution.

Some people might be too depressed to finish that guy's book, even.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on anti-depressants for 22 years; all I can say is that I'm better on them than off them - but that's not saying much.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,638
    Forum Member
    Admitting it was the first step for me, talking about it was the most important step
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the problem is that G.Ps are only really equipped to deal with low-level depression, but they are also liable once they become aware of your condition...C.B.T tends to have the shortest wait times because they are typically about 12 sessions.

Funding seems to be a problem, which unfortunately has an affect on service users..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had the same thing with counselling - who sends a beeper to counselling?

i only got as far as the assessment anyway, i was as high as a kite at the time ["oooooh i`d love to take you on, we`ve had SUCH fun but i think you`re too severe for counselling"].

I shouldn't laugh but.. I know what you mean. :D

I'm the one who always agreed with everything they said ( dont like to hurt feelings, or cause a ruck) .. They knew this right from the start, and still claimed victory when they told me therapy had helped me a lot and I nodded :D "Yes I think we are finally getting there" . erm NO you are not but im not going to hurt your feelings by saying so.. and you know this :confused::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that G.Ps are only really equipped to deal with low-level depression, but they are also liable once they become aware of your condition...C.B.T tends to have the shortest wait times because they are typically about 12 sessions.

Funding seems to be a problem, which unfortunately has an affect on service users..

No the sessions are typically 6 sessions not 12. There is also a long waiting list .. This was in my area though... maybe different in yours.

Mind you I'm still waiting for a visit from the social services from 16 years ago.. The hospital in London said they would be there to see me the next day .. they never turned up. Lucky for me I moved not long after, as I would not have asked for help again ( hate to be a bother) and was in a very bad place in my head at that time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My support worker and social worker were bloody useless as well.

I had one support worker and psychiatrist that came to see me a few times and they were f*cking amazing. But as its always the case they were very temporary and left me feeling all the more alone, when they had to move on and pass me over to others.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on anti-depressants for 22 years; all I can say is that I'm better on them than off them - but that's not saying much.
    You know antidepressants get a bad rap but what people seem to forget is for many people they work and probably saved many lives. Depression is an illness so just like any other illness it often requires medication.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    You know antidepressants get a bad rap but what people seem to forget is for many people they work and probably saved many lives. Depression is an illness so just like any other illness it often requires medication.

i agree, i don`t think it matters what you find that gets you through as long as you can find something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Trouble is many Drs give you pills that mess your head up, when time and rest would have done the job much better.

Some people have a very good reason for being depressed and yet most Drs treat everyone as though they have a chemical imbalance.

Mine started off as a very good reason to be depressed, but over the years with more and more different pills, side affects from some, with withdrawals for another all going on at the same time. my symptoms became more and more bizarre, until my head was totality messed up.

Drs need to make sure there isnt another reason for the depression, before handing out those pills like sweeties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I agree Anne.

CBT helps some people but not others, and then maybe not long term. The hypothesis that we can change our emotions by changing our thoughts doesn't always work. We can force ourselves to think rationally but still have a strong emotion about something. Emotions aren't always rational and they tend to leach through.

There are other approaches, like just accepting our emotions, but not acting on them.

There really isn't an easy solution.

Some people might be too depressed to finish that guy's book, even.

Most people suffering from clinical depression wouldn't have the concentration necessary to read and absorb any book.
    I found this article which is a good all round summary. Presented from both sides of the argument but even the pro CBT therapist states he needed deeper therapy after CBT. I worked for an independent agency before retirement. The number of failed CBT clients who had suffered as a result of having painful subjects opened up and then their time was up was very high and very detrimental to those people. This obviously also puts pressure on all other agencies to pick up the pieces.
    Forgive it being the Daily Wail please.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1162512/Is-Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-really-answer-Britains-depression-epidemic.html

From the pro CBT therapist

n any event, of course, in the modern NHS patients are supposed to be offered a choice. Here, I do have some sympathy with the scheme's critics. I think other therapies should also be on offer, and I suspect, over time and given local realities they will be.
    But I won’t have people undermining the Government’s plans. I have seen CBT work. It was CBT therapy, in 1998, that first made me hopeful that my depression could be cured.
    Like many, I needed deeper therapy, too, but many others don’t want to dig deeper if they don’t have to. That is why CBT is a good first foundation for this new psychotherapy service.

This article was written 5 years ago and nothing has changed. Alternative therapy's after CBT failure are rarely on offer. More CBT is most frequently offered and often after a long wait. It's cheap!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wasn't offered anything more. Just told I could go back on the list for more CBT.
    No the sessions are typically 6 sessions not 12. There is also a long waiting list .. This was in my area though... maybe different in yours.

Mind you I'm still waiting for a visit from the social services from 16 years ago.. The hospital in London said they would be there to see me the next day .. they never turned up. Lucky for me I moved not long after, as I would not have asked for help again ( hate to be a bother) and was in a very bad place in my head at that time.

Yes this is typical and a damned disgrace. 6 weeks is most frequently offered. Need any more than that and it's back to a long waiting list. The mental health sector has and always will be the dog end of the NHS. Every aspect is seriously underfunded. A GP should never continue prescribing different medication without having made a referral to more specialist care.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes this is typical and a damned disgrace. 6 weeks is most frequently offered. Need any more than that and it's back to a long waiting list. The mental health sector has and always will be the dog end of the NHS. Every aspect is seriously underfunded. A GP should never continue prescribing different medication without having made a referral to more specialist care.

That's too short for many people.

I guess you could learn some basis techniques and use them on yourself though.