Options

Vitamins and minerals.

124»

Comments

• Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While the nutrional contents of various foods could conceivably change over decades, it's difficult to belive that in every single case the change is detrimental. Surely some things must now be better for you?

But then in your link it says: "It is clear that the depleted nutritional value of many food items consumed today is an inherent feature of the foods chosen by consumers."

So it's because of what we choose to eat!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    While the nutrional contents of various foods could conceivably change over decades, it's difficult to belive that in every single case the change is detrimental. Surely some things must now be better for you?

But then in your link it says: "It is clear that the depleted nutritional value of many food items consumed today is an inherent feature of the foods chosen by consumers."

So it's because of what we choose to eat!

So apples are not as nutritional as they used to be because? Erm people are choosing to eat .. what? A cake?
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make huge pots of bone broth, then dehydrate it, and snack on it or put it into my meals. as well as eat lots of meat and fat.

I render my own fat that I get from a organic butcher.

Could not imagine going thru all that just for B12 thankfully all I have to do is make an appointment at the Dr's every three months for a B12 injection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So apples are not as nutritional as they used to be because? Erm people are choosing to eat .. what? A cake?

Well, it's your link, and that's exactly what it appears to say, other than speculation on why some nutrional levels of specific foods have apparently dropped.

For example, because some foods are now sourced from parts of the world where the soil is less rich in certain minerals. Which might mean the nutrional value hasn't actually changed, we're just consuming alternatives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Well, it's your link, and that's exactly what it appears to say, other than speculation on why some nutrional levels of specific foods have apparently dropped.

For example, because some foods are now sourced from parts of the world where the soil is less rich in certain minerals. Which might mean the nutrional value hasn't actually changed, we're just consuming alternatives.

Its that they want faster growing plants, and when they grown faster they also take up less nutrients. plus with the decline in soil quality.
    pesticides etc So its not really what we are choosing, that is making us lack in nutrients its the choice we are given

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    For goodness sake! Im making mineral and vitamin supplement not hard drugs.
    Turmeric, ginger, garlic,cinnamon. etc
    growing and drying veg ( like spinach) , making it into powder, egg shells.

sprouting seeds and beans and drying the result.
    The impression I got was that you were trying to make capsules or tablets or something which was why I asked how you made the supplements. In my first comment I did ask, and said the only people I knew who made supplements made smoothies. I apologise for not realising.

Now that you're on about drying veg and making powders that opens up a whole different set of problems...:D
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably real food. I use the whole food ( just dry it) to get what I need. Most vitamins you buy are synthetic.

Sorry if I'm completely missing the point but.... ???

The reason I (and I suspect many others) take multivitamin tablets is a need to make up for a deficiency in certain areas of my diet (for me, specifically Vitamin C and B12, and Iron but the rest of it is also good to get)

If you have foods with these in, in great enough quantities, why bother at all drying the stuff out and making supplements out of them?

Ie. if you have 'real food' and eat a balanced diet, why not just eat it, as food? Rather than mixing it up as supplements?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's one thing you shouldn't listen to the medical profession about it's nutrition.

It's very likely that the human ability to extract nutrition from food declines significantly at middle-age, after all everything else declines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    The impression I got was that you were trying to make capsules or tablets or something which was why I asked how you made the supplements. In my first comment I did ask, and said the only people I knew who made supplements made smoothies. I apologise for not realising.

Now that you're on about drying veg and making powders that opens up a whole different set of problems...:D

:D

I do make capsules. that's what I put the powder into.

Yesterday I made calcium from egg shells and apple cider vinegar. So that one will be liquid form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm completely missing the point but.... ???

The reason I (and I suspect many others) take multivitamin tablets is a need to make up for a deficiency in certain areas of my diet (for me, specifically Vitamin C and B12, and Iron but the rest of it is also good to get)

If you have foods with these in, in great enough quantities, why bother at all drying the stuff out and making supplements out of them?

Ie. if you have 'real food' and eat a balanced diet, why not just eat it, as food? Rather than mixing it up as supplements?

The point is the food we eat today does not have enough nutrients in( see other posts about this) most of the vitamins you buy are synthetic,or rubbish.

Why do you take them, why dont you eat more things with Vit C in or iron etc?
    Most Vit C our bodies do not absorb.

Most of us are vitamin deficient, that is OK until you get ill or run down or just even older.

No one really needs to get aching bones/ joints, or fatigue or the many other things associated with getting older or with illness.

I went from very painful and unbending joints to being supple again, I can now cross my fingers again after a few years of not being able to do that.
    That wasn't from taking vitamins but not eating grain. I cured myself of the symptoms of illness and disease by cutting grain and sugar out of my diet, and thought if I can feel do that, what else can I do to help my body and mind ( I was very forgetful and had dreadful brain fog) stay younger and healthy.
    So I looked into nutrition and making my own healthy supplement.

My health gets better every day. I find it amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    If there's one thing you shouldn't listen to the medical profession about it's nutrition.

It's very likely that the human ability to extract nutrition from food declines significantly at middle-age, after all everything else declines.

When I first went onto the Keto (clean) diet and my health really started to improve, I told my consultant and she rolled her eyes and told me not to get to excited as it would all come back.

Even though she had just said " Well that is strange, your bloods are now showing clear of Autoimmune disease" Still told me to keep taking the zillion pills and inhalers she has prescribed as I needed them. I never, and I haven't needed them in over a year.

Seems so stupid not to go down the diet route before pills but that isnt a Dr job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Calorific requirements also reduce, which means essential nutrients would also be proportionately less if people ate the right amount. But presumably the body doesn't need less nutrients as it ages.
    Yesterday I made calcium from egg shells and apple cider vinegar. So that one will be liquid form.

How much calcium do you need that you have to start eating egg shells?! In the UK I think the requirement is 700mg a day, which is about a pint of milk.
    The point is the food we eat today does not have enough nutrients ...

No one really needs to get aching bones/ joints, or fatigue or the many other things associated with getting older or with illness.

I went from very painful and unbending joints to being supple again, I can now cross my fingers again after a few years of not being able to do that.
    That wasn't from taking vitamins but not eating grain. I cured myself of the symptoms of illness and disease by cutting grain and sugar out of my diet
    OK, so you had something wrong with you. It's not that there's anything particularly bad about the foods available today, as plenty of people are perfectly healthy eating modern food without having to take supplements or having to make their own. You would have had the same problems 50 or 100 years ago, assuming you hadn't died of something else first.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't from taking vitamins but not eating grain. I cured myself of the symptoms of illness and disease by cutting grain and sugar out of my diet, and thought if I can feel do that, what else can I do to help my body and mind ( I was very forgetful and had dreadful brain fog) stay younger and healthy.
    So I looked into nutrition and making my own healthy supplement.

My health gets better every day. I find it amazing.

I'm fine and my body seems to get all the nutrients it needs. It's sometimes the case that people who start eating healthy, they start getting paranoid about salt, sugar etc.