Options

Poor WiFi Signal Home Hub 5

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Just had infinity installed and my hub 5 is in the hall. However, when sat in the lounge which is right near the hub, I lose 2 bars of signal on my phone and tablet.

I tried changing the channel but no luck.

I'm thinking of buying a WiFi extender and plugging that in upstairs. Would that then give me solid signal throughout?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the hub on the floor? This can cause issues with the signal being able to radiate effectively. Make sure the silly auto channel selector is turned off as I've always found it chooses the most congested one.
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the hub on the floor? This can cause issues with the signal being able to radiate effectively. Make sure the silly auto channel selector is turned off as I've always found it chooses the most congested one.

No it's on a table about weight height. Tried different channels but no luck.

It's odd. I get the same signal upstairs in the back room as I do in the lounge right next to it?!
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both Virgin Super Hub2 and BT Hub 5 with top speeds and I would say that Wi-Fi on both are = on pick up from my Laptops, Mobile phones and Pads in my home.
    Even with both BT & Virgin set at there top speeds and BT at 78.4Mbps and Virgin at 188Mbps at max.
    So I would say your trouble must be one of these ...
    1) It takes about a day or so before speed on BT Hubs to become stable after being put into a new home.
    2) Settings of the signal of the Wi-Fi is too close to others in your street .
    3) Check that power lead is in the Hub 5 fully and that any network cables for BT TV youview or other items are fixed OK.
    4) Make sure the Hub 5 is not place near to metal items that can give signals troubles also I have seen on internet that some fish tanks next to Hubs can also be trouble with signals.
    5) try using 5GHz band if you PC Laptop can handle it .
    You can go to BT site by using network cable if Wi-Fi is so bad and get them to check your phone line to make sure that signal from network to hub and hub is working OK.

I would also say that many laptops can and do report signal badly due to network chips inside that are not built for speeds that can be picked up today, so go into settings and check that not 50Mbps and is 100Mbps OK for phone line services like BT at this time but test for higher speeds are around .
    Also remember that BT like many other hubs use Dual bands and use 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11 ac .

You can buy USB 3.0 dongles which help with speeds and will help with dual bands used by all new HUBs (2.4GHz & 5 GHz) make you able to use any speeds that are to come in the next few years and weakness in any network chips in PC, Laptops .
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wi-Fi reception is a dark art - what works in one location may not work in another. Likewise with equipment one piece might work perfectly in a location while another may struggle.

Speed tests and reception strength can also vary depending on the equipment and software used.

The following link gives suggestions on reception.
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/04/10-top-tips-boosting-home-wi-fi-wireless-network-speeds.html

Brian
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    ...I'm thinking of buying a WiFi extender and plugging that in upstairs. Would that then give me solid signal throughout?

Thanks
    Unless you live in a large property or have very thick walls and floors then you won't need a Wi-Fi extender.