Options

PlusNet

Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
Forum Member
✭✭
We're always banging on about having greater speeds but with speeds like I'm getting, is there any need for much more at present... ;-)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4289592028

Comments

• Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a fairly standard FTTC result to me.
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on what you use it for. But for most things, those speeds will be fine. Heck my old ADSL speeds of around 8Mbps was fine for what I needed it for (streaming video). But my usage wasn't (60GB a month).
    Funny thing was though, shortly after signing up for Fibre broaband, my ISP (Plusnet) started offering unlimited ADSL.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Looks like a fairly standard FTTC result to me.

Yup! Exactly what I get on Plunet:

73 down. 17 up.
  • Options
    Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed FTTC 80/20 but the point I'm trying to make is, is there any need for greater speeds at the moment than that? I know technology is changing all the time and thus need more speeds to cope with demand and what not. For example you have virgin now trialling 300 meg speeds now, I think it all a bit pointless at present let alone people who are fortunate enough to get Hyperoptic 1Gig speeds...
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    It is indeed FTTC 80/20 but the point I'm trying to make is, is there any need for greater speeds at the moment than that? I know technology is changing all the time and thus need more speeds to cope with demand and what not. For example you have virgin now trialling 300 meg speeds now, I think it all a bit pointless at present let alone people who are fortunate enough to get Hyperoptic 1Gig speeds...

It's fast enough for what I need to do which on a busy night will be:

Downloading something
    Streaming Live HD Hockey from the USA
    browsing the internet

All at the same time with no major problems. So no, I don't need anything fast at the moment.

Having said that, most Live USA Hockey games start at about midnight or later and so congestion is not a big issue at that time of the night/morning.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't you lucky, i'm not even getting near the 74meg mark since 3 weeks ago and i'm very close to the cabinet >:(
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was happy with the ten I was getting from my last ISP, until things started going downwards.
    Now getting about 38 with Plusnet, more than happy with that.
    I must admit it is nice to see the difference in speed when downloading something.

Upload speed is my problem or will be, seems to be about 5 and yet it should be 10.

I think some people think they need the speed and yet in reality never use it. Fine if you are not paying any more for it, but if you are paying for something you never use, what is the point?