Options

jk and joel join virgin

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
Forum Member
✭✭
JK and Joel join Virgin Radio
Tuesday 20 November 2007

Presenting duo JK and Joel are joining Virgin Radio. They will host a weekend mid-morning show from January after being axed from the chart show on Radio 1 earlier this year, replacing Leona Graham who is expected to move to a new shift.

The pair first worked together at Viking FM in 1996 and also hosted breakfast at Manchester's Key 103. They picked up a Sony Award for best breakfast in 2000. They most recently presented eary breakfast and the chart show on Radio 1.

JK & Joel said, “No longer are we hauling our arses out of bed at 3am looking like crap, instead we are really looking forward to doing weekends. It’ll be great to go up against our old mate Vernon at 10am, that’s if he can be bothered to turn up - his random game show schedule is demanding don’t you know!”

This is the latest signing by new programme director David Lloyd who only recently welcomed comedian and broadcaster Iain Lee aboard to present a Sunday night show between 10pm and 1am set to be a late night mix of irreverent interactive chat and music. His first show is due to air on Jan 6th between 10pm and 1am.

“JK & Joel love radio – that’s why they are joining us. Virgin is a place where they can have some fun. This signing, coupled with Iain Lee’s, signals what our new weekends are about.” said David Lloyd, Programme Director of Virgin Radio

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin is a good move for them. I don't think they are really R2 material.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    nice move :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news:) fantastic weekend schedule for Virgin. Nick Jackson weekend breakky and then JK and Joel :D

Possibile breakfast in futre??
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas an alternative to that poor Radio 1 schedule at the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this news was already on other thread. I'm sure they will end up doing weekday breakfast there, that is if they want to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    the last thing Virgin needs at the moment is another round of changes to the breakfast show. Christian needs to stay put for a while and the efforts need to be put into bringing the rest of the schedule to life.

This is what they seem to be doing at the moment, starting with weekends.

There are times when Virgin is a very boring listen at the moment. In terms of the jocks who are all fairly old school and there is a distinct lack of entertainment. This JK and Joel move and getting Iain Lee on air are putting some excitement back into it.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weekday daytimes aren't great.

Virgin is OK to leave on in the car but it's too bland for serious listening. Maybe that's what they're aiming for - why would you listen to AM on a "proper" stereo anyway? - but on FM in London it's a wasted opportunity.
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Virgin is OK to leave on in the car but it's too bland for serious listening. Maybe that's what they're aiming for - why would you listen to AM on a "proper" stereo anyway? - but on FM in London it's a wasted opportunity.

I think Virgin are assuming that AM is effectively dead, or soon will be, certainly for music radio. More than a third of the audience is in London, presumably because of FM. Maybe they are working on the basis that in future people will listen on DAB, Freeview, Sky, online etc.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good move for all involved. If they're given some freedom they could do a good show on Virgin - there are some decent personality jocks there, but most of the time it seems it's only Christian and Geoff that can really express themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good move for all involved. If they're given some freedom they could do a good show on Virgin - there are some decent personality jocks there, but most of the time it seems it's only Christian and Geoff that can really express themselves.

Nick Jackson is a talented presenter he was their drivetime DJ until BRMB poached him back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioKing wrote: »
    Nick Jackson is a talented presenter he was their drivetime DJ until BRMB poached him back

Yes but he's back at Virgin doing Weekend Breakfast. He's also covering Geoff Lloyd on the late show this week too as Geoff is on Brekkie.
  • Options
    thesidogthesidog Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    i have to say I find those two really annoying, but I was wondering why Iain Lee had gone from LBC, now I know !
  • Options
    FLICKERSFLICKERS Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    thesidog wrote: »
    i have to say I find those two really annoying, but I was wondering why Iain Lee had gone from LBC, now I know !

No connection
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Against Vernon they could never win, against Dick and Dom they will win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    David Lloyd's brilliant tenure at LBC in London demonstrated that he just lets the personalities get on with it and express themselves as best they can. Based on these signings, I reckon he's going to be good for Virgin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FoxFanatic wrote: »
    Against Vernon they could never win, against Dick and Dom they will win.
    Why? He sings over records, talks about Ibiza before every dance song, and the only good bit was the lie-in. He doesn't do that now. I don't think it's a special show these days.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joeboy wrote: »
    David Lloyd's brilliant tenure at LBC in London demonstrated that he just lets the personalities get on with it and express themselves as best they can. Based on these signings, I reckon he's going to be good for Virgin.

I disagree that DL had a "brilliant tenure" at LBC with his shocking move at putting a comedian on drive and dumbing down the output, however the tactics he's using on Virgin are spot on, by putting on personality jocks to mask the bland playlist that Virgin is stuck with.
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JK and Joel are ok, i suppose virgin is keeping them national (kind of - crackling am). I reckon they will let them settle and prehaps switch them to weekdays (breakfast or afternoons against edith bowman).

Still think Radio 1 should have kept tham and offered them Bowman's 1-4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Virgin mainly playing current festival tunes along with the token classic rock tracks, it shouldn't be that much of a difference for the boys.

At least they won't have to play RnB!
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dzfootball wrote: »
    JK and Joel are ok, i suppose virgin is keeping them national (kind of - crackling am). I reckon they will let them settle and prehaps switch them to weekdays (breakfast or afternoons against edith bowman).

Ever heard of DAB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    Ever heard of DAB.

The audio quality on Virgin's Digital 1 stream is poor compared to other services at 160k. However the Freeview (except after 0130 when it drops to 96k mono) and Sky streams are sufficient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dzfootball wrote: »

NOOO! Iain Lee is so much better and should do weekday drivetime or just more shows, 1 day a week is not enough. JK and Joel's will beat vernon kay, who is rubbish and they are much better at doing the breakfast slot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Good move to get these two on, they've got talent.

Ian Lee is horrendous though, he'll fit in well with that other muppet Geoff Lloyd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    NOOO! Iain Lee is so much better and should do weekday drivetime or just more shows, 1 day a week is not enough. JK and Joel's will beat vernon kay, who is rubbish and they are much better at doing the breakfast slot.

Hardly with Virgin's network of AM transmitters, while Radio 1 covers most of the UK on FM. Only die-hards will leave R1 for Virgin. However they may gain a new older fanbase.
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/jkandjoel/

How long before this page is taken down now they've joined virgin.