Could The Master be on his way back?

Comments

• ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know of any concrete bit of info or quote that is making people think it, or is it just rumour's from rumour's

Just the latter I think, but then Capaldi's name was thrown around like that long before there was any inkling it would be him so you never know.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,244
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Just the latter I think, but then Capaldi's name was thrown around like that long before there was any inkling it would be him so you never know.
    was just asking because I hope it's true. don't really get moffat's earlier idea that the doctor having an arch nemesis was 'cartoonish', I think the master (and davros for that matter) as a villain gives an episode more gravitas, think about it, when it's a returning species e.g daleks, the dalek he's facing that day could have never met him before, but with the master, there's the shared history of all their experiences and conflict over the years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Who knows? But, he'd be most welcome. I'd like to Moffet's take on the character.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was just asking because I hope it's true. don't really get moffat's earlier idea that the doctor having an arch nemesis was 'cartoonish', I think the master (and davros for that matter) as a villain gives an episode more gravitas, think about it, when it's a returning species e.g daleks, the dalek he's facing that day could have never met him before, but with the master, there's the shared history of all their experiences and conflict over the years

Did Moffat say that? If so a very bizarre opinion. And he seems to have no such issue with Sherlock who is already onto his second arch nemesis in 9 episodes.

Personally I think random encounters with monsters of the week are cartoonish and Scooby doo esque. The Master and the Doctor have a known history which adds dramatic weight to their encounters. Sadly this is one concept Moffat fails to grasp and is his weakest spot as a writer. He tends to rely on telling rather than showing. Doesn't work for me.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Its amazing how these rumours start ....
    Started because those in the know over the last few years are confident that he is back in S8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve got to be honest if Charles Dance has been cast as The Master it will be in my opinion the best casting since Roger Delgado because he`s brilliant at playing cold, he`s got the look also.

As for the other rumoured names Warren Brown good actor was brilliant at playing Andy Holt the psychopathic rapist and went down as Hollyoaks best villain of all time but I just couldn`t see him as The Master to be honest, he`s just too baby faced for The Masters role maybe a potential future Doctor after Capaldi yes, he would be another Christopher Eccleston type gritty but very funny and cheeky with it.

Damien Molony would be a good choice but he`s only 29 and I don`t think it would go well with capaldi`s doctor at all, would have worked better alongside Matt Smith though.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Started because those in the know over the last few years are confident that he is back in S8.
    Yeah but.....
    that may be true, no quarrel with the master coming back, but do those in the know say its Charles Dance? I just find it funny how someone mentions a name (and he or Rickman would be great) and then it becomes a rumour.... Ready to be corrected if it is true
    Forum Member
    I don't think 'those in the know' constitutes hard evidence, even if someone's information has been reliable in the past, dosen't mean you can take everything they've said as fact. That being said I want him back so hope it is true
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I know is I know nothing
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    well it wouldnt be the 'Master' if they cast a female they would have to rename the character 'Madam' or 'Mistress'!

So every female with the name "Johnson" should be forced to change their name to Johnsdaughter?

Proper nouns are not subject to the same "rules" as common nouns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think 'those in the know' constitutes hard evidence, even if someone's information has been reliable in the past, dosen't mean you can take everything they've said as fact. That being said I want him back so hope it is true
    These are 'jobs-on-the-line' people in some cases - who don't rely on each-other's information. Not to mention immediate family to members of the production team.

Charles Dance is unfounded and likely absolute nonsense.There are fan pages on Facebook and retweets on Twitter - then there are people in the industry close to the show, it's writers and directors. The Sun didn't print the entire plot of Time of The Doctor based on rumours. They did it because it was accurately sourced - up to the final TARDIS scene.

If The Master isn't back, it will be the biggest surprise since the Paul McGann extended minisode was long since established.

In any case, it keeps our spoiler thread in business.
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    All I know is I know nothing
    same as anyone at this point,despite what they might say
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailed it!
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone asked Sylvester McCoy?
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hooe not!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My money's on the next "Master" being portrayed by a female and/or non-white actor - as a nod to those who have asked to see such change occur with the Doctor.
    lotrjw wrote: »
    well it wouldnt be the 'Master' if they cast a female they would have to rename the character 'Madam' or 'Mistress'!

These two posts are what Moffat based Series 8 on :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9 had the Daleks and since Davros followed The Master in the RTD era, I'm going to therefore also work on the assumption that Davros is back and will return to this place to claim my prize next year :D

Capaldi will be getting through his DW checklist with ease, too ;)

ETA: That said, we know Missy is back next year too, apparently. Though I hope she's not the "big bad."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 had the Daleks and since Davros followed The Master in the RTD era, I'm going to therefore also work on the assumption that Davros is back and will return to this place to claim my prize next year :D

Capaldi will be getting through his DW checklist with ease, too ;)

:D:D Actually I'm thinking that the Dalek Emperor could be the big bad for Series 9 and Missy returns in Series 10 (The Master was undoubtedly 10s main enemy). Fits in with my theory.
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,762
    Forum Member
    Maybe Davros will return as Davrosette.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Davros will return as Davrosette.

It's obvious the next big bad is the Dalek Empress, first female Dalek.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or a female Cyberman... with etheric beam locators.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Or a female Cyberman... with etheric beam locators.

Torchwood already done that.
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,762
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    It's obvious the next big bad is the Dalek Empress, first female Dalek.

Well Daleks do technically have skirts...
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Daleks do technically have skirts...
    Plus a sink plunger to clean the toilet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Plus a sink plunger to clean the toilet.

And the whisk that doubles as a gun