Options

Why did Ben tell Abi he's not gay anymore?

summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
Forum Member
What's he up to?

Comments

• Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of wonder whether he wants to keep up the Mitchell name by being a tough womaniser like his dad, but (obviously unlike his dad) also wanting a cute guy like Johnny as a bit on the side? I find this whole situation weird as he doesn't seem to have any shame over lusting after Johnny, yet he's then going round telling people he's straight. It's bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I kind of wonder whether he wants to keep up the Mitchell name by being a tough womaniser like his dad, but (obviously unlike his dad) also wanting a cute guy like Johnny as a bit on the side? I find this whole situation weird as he doesn't seem to have any shame over lusting after Johnny, yet he's then going round telling people he's straight. It's bizarre.

That's what I didn't understand. He was clearly flirting with Johnny right in front of Abi, 2 minutes after telling her he was straight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Like his father, he's incapable of telling the truth?
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    When he said to Abi he isn't gay any more, I thought he had regressed as a character. Maybe being in prison forced him to hide his sexuality, which is why he's acting like like this: straight on the outside, gay on the inside (which is the definition of closeted). I guess he flirts with Johnny b/c he likes him, and maybe to prove to himself that he won't act on his feelings. But that scene at the garage, when he charged Johnny extra for the repair, made it seem like Ben was playing a game of "treat him mean, keep him keen".

I'm just taking wild stabs in the dark with this one, as it's all a bit odd, bizarre and random all rolled into one.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    He'll be charging Johnny for services rendered.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    When he said to Abi he isn't gay any more, I thought he had regressed as a character. Maybe being in prison forced him to hide his sexuality, which is why he's acting like like this: straight on the outside, gay on the inside (which is the definition of closeted). I guess he flirts with Johnny b/c he likes him, and maybe to prove to himself that he won't act on his feelings. But that scene at the garage, when he charged Johnny extra for the repair, made it seem like Ben was playing a game of "treat him mean, keep him keen".

I'm just taking wild stabs in the dark with this one, as it's all a bit odd, bizarre and random all rolled into one.

I did think that maybe he's regressed as a person due to being in prison, where like you said he might have been forced to hide his sexuality. But that doesn't explain why, when he's with Johnny, he comes across as very eager and flirtatious. Maybe it's just that Harry Reid is playing it wrong, or maybe not much thought has been put into the writing. But it could, if they're doing this in a different way, be that Ben is actually completely accepting of the fact that he fancies Johnny, but he doesn't want people to think he's gay. So he's essentially 'keeping up appearances' and thinks he can still get with Johnny, just without people knowing.

It is a weird one, I agree.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Denial is a complex contradictory emotion.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he want to be Bisexual?
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought we did all this back in 2011:confused:
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that he never actually was gay? Just done it all for attention lol.
  • Options
    soapfan2005soapfan2005 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they obviously want to do a story line about someone not accepting their sexuality, almost the opposite to Johnny, but still acting on their feelings and probably hating themselves for it? I'm sure I saw a clip of Ben trying to kiss Johnny!
  • Options
    misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they obviously want to do a story line about someone not accepting their sexuality, almost the opposite to Johnny, but still acting on their feelings and probably hating themselves for it? I'm sure I saw a clip of Ben trying to kiss Johnny!

I don't think it's as clever as that, I think now they have Johnny they don't need Ben to be gay so a bit like Phil alcoholism and drug addiction they want us to just forget that story and move on to 'hard man, womaniser' Ben >:(
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ben is gay. He probably just wants to convince Phil it was a phase. it won't last
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've had another thought about this.

We all know that Ben coming out to Phil wasn't half the storyline it should have been (especially after the years of build-up). I think DTC is puting Ben back in the closet, so he can "come out" again, and this time write it much better. What I mean is, convincing Phil and everyone else he is straight, and then do the storyline properly.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Sorry but this is really silly whichever way your dress it up.
    Just poor writing.

At least let the audience know why Ben is now saying he isn't gay after coming out of the closet years ago !!

Stupid
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben's behaviour is a little bit odd as he was openly and proud to be gay, but after his prison sentence, he is now "not like that like". He was never bothered about what people thought. So did something occur in prison. Was he bullied or abused because of his sexuality and he feels that if he wasn't gay, he wouldn't be bullied or abused on the outside.

Intriguing

Poor Johnny though.

The actors have zero chemistry with one another and the ultimate pairing of these two characters is so forced.
  • Options
    machobobmachobob Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find it all pretty tedious. We're gonna be having months and months of Ben in denial, in love with Johnny, etc. etc. Ergh.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    machobob wrote: »
    I just find it all pretty tedious. We're gonna be having months and months of Ben in denial, in love with Johnny, etc. etc. Ergh.

exactly, and i am guessing this is the reason the writers seem to be re writing history. just so they can sensationalize the whole thing and have yet another 'gay self loathing' story.

utter nonsense. what exactly is Jay, for example going to make of it all. after he actually accepted Ben straight away and was crucial in getting Phil to accept him.

such a shame as i was finally enjoying Eastenders again this week, then they come up with this crap.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a complete and utter scumbag just like his father.

And De Nile is an awfully big f*****g river.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben is the one that told Abi to wake up and realise that Jay is in love with Lola, causing Abi to have it out with Jay. He is also trying to get her interested in him by saying he's "not like that any longer". So why is Ben trying to manipulate her?

I'm just wondering about this twist that DTC has mentioned. We know that Abi is getting a bit darker but isn't that a bit too obvious that she is potentially Lucy's murderer? We know that Ben was in the vicinity, what if he did it and is trying to put someone else in the frame?

re Ben/Johnny, I just think it is lazy script writing - Ben is gay and Johnny is gay, so obviously they must get together *sigh* Like others have said, they have zero chemistry together.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Sorry but this is really silly whichever way your dress it up.
    Just poor writing.

At least let the audience know why Ben is now saying he isn't gay after coming out of the closet years ago !!

Stupid

It's plain daft. The whole square knows he's gay and no one has any problem with it. I think DTC just likes his gay angst s/ls.
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very likely for him to be in denial.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So boring and unoriginal, why couldn't they of let the character settle in for a bit instead of having him chase the only available gay guy in the square it seems and the fact they've let Johnny stew for months since is even more grating, his had one fling and predictably get him together with Ben.

The denial of his sexuality is more backward the it first appears to be, I don't see the point, it's already be laid out his gay.

I'm really not sure on this recast or the direction, he seems to be trying to hard and it comes off poor.
  • Options
    Al_StackAl_Stack Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Anyone think old Ben was better than this one?
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what would be interesting for me would be for it not to be assumed that just because two characters are gay that it means they will be attracted to each other or want to be together. That is definitely something I feel like Eastenders doesn't quite get and as such this silly Ben/Johnny plot was obvious from a mile away, despite them not having anything in common or any chemistry. Now we now have them trying to ramp up the ~drama with this contrived 'I'm not gay' storyline from a character who actually went through a lot when he was much younger to get people to accept his sexuality.