Background checks

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
Surely one of the basic steps any company would take before putting strangers into people's homes on a tv programme is to check no one has a criminal record . They surely wouldn't want their star LS going into business with a criminal .

Now we find James Hill is a convicted thug who beat up a man so severely he left him scarred for life and tried to bite the ear off another chap . There are many people, I'm sure all of them well paid, who are responsible for putting this programme together, surely they should have someone checking for any criminal backgrounds .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2796909/the-apprentice-thug-contestant-27-attacked-drinker-pub-bit-man-s-ear-separate-fight.html

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I've applied for a few TV series, and they always say 'Do you have any criminal convictions that are not spent?' Some criminal convictions are 'spent' (meaning forgotten) after a certain amount of time, and that varies depending on the offence. As far as I know, James' is, as have been previous candidates with a criminal conviction, such as Joanna from Series 6.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've applied for a few TV series, and they always say 'Do you have any criminal convictions that are not spent?' Some criminal convictions are 'spent' (meaning forgotten) after a certain amount of time, and that varies depending on the offence. As far as I know, James' is, as have been previous candidates with a criminal conviction, such as Joanna from Series 6.

Thanks george . His conviction may be spent but still I'd have nothing to do with anyone with his record for violence . FGS surely they must have interviewed hundreds of candidates far more capable .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember where I read it but apparently the conviction came after the check so it did not have to be declared but that doesn't sound right as there have been various statements claiming he was young and naive but that doesn't mean much I guess. If it was spent then it doesn't have to be declared end of discussion, I thought this would be common knowledge as pretty much all application forms have a criminal convictions section and I would assume that almost everyone who is old enough to apply for a job would have filled out at least one form by now?

As to the comment about association I'm no lawyer but with my very limited understanding if the conviction is spent and therefore irrelevant it should have no bearing on the hiring process at all. Even if the conviction is not spent and has to be declared it is illegal to refuse someone simply on the bases of the conviction - as long as certain rules and conditions are met which I would have to assume would be the case though of course the job being applied for and the nature of the conviction will have an affect on suitability but that is a separate issue all together.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC knew because he declared it.

On the basis of 'You've served your time, and are therefore entitled to a second chance' he was allowed to enter- so he didn't deceive anyone.
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is nothing new. Series 6 had three candidates who had experienced legal troubles of some sort before (Christopher, Joanna and Shibby). Heck, in Series 4 Lee flat-out lied on his CV, misrepresented his qualifications and actually won! I don't think they're going to be too bothered about something that the candidate actually has been honest with the producers about.