buying a kitten

2»

Comments

• kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snellster wrote: »
    Hi, My kids have been hankering for a kitten for ages now, and me and the wife have finally given in and said they could have one.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on where to get one from, am I best going to a pet shop or something like the cat and dog shelter ?

Thanks

Please, please, please dont go to a pet shop!

adopt dont shop!

check out your local rescue shelters - PLEASE - they always have kittens and young cats who are desperate for loving homes

if they dont have any kittens you could consider getting an older cat - they are often over looked as most people want kittens - just please go and have a look, you never know which furry face you will fall in love with!

I have recently adopted an 18 month old cat and she is the sweetest little thing, still very kitten like (she is quite small) but she loves to play, jump, run around like a loon, leap out at you from behind absolutely nothing
  • VicnBobVicnBob Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice,

My kids (both girls) are seven and 12.

We live in a quiet cul-de-sac so no problems with busy roads. The kitten would be by itself for some of the day but only a small part of it.

Does anyone know how much a cat would cost from a shelter? we have said they can have one but did not think about how much it would cost. One of my friends paid £70 from a shop but I thought that was a bit excessive for a moggy. I'm quite responsible and would get it nuetered etc.

Would it be better to get a female or male cat. My youngest daughter is a very loving little girl and I think she would love a cat that wanted to sit and be stroked etc. So which is the best sex for that ?

Thanks again
    We have had cats for 27 years, and have never been to a pet shop. I have found male cats to be very loving (especially after they have had their pockets picked:D) The cost/donation from a rescue establishment is very good value, as the charges at the vets exceed what your donation would be, and you are giving a cat a home... Its a very good idea to have a cat flap if you don't already have one, for when they get bigger. If you have any other questions, ask away!:)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Hi, My kids have been hankering for a kitten for ages now, and me and the wife have finally given in and said they could have one.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on where to get one from, am I best going to a pet shop or something like the cat and dog shelter ?

Thanks

I would avoid pet shops. Animal rescue places are the best. I usually give £50 for the neutering and flea treatment.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Oh 2010!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh 2010!

argh - :o:blush:

wonder if the OP got a rescue cat................
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Funny how people happily spend that amount on a meal out, or a new item of clothing or some DVDs...

...but for a living creature that will bring immense pleasure and be part of the family for the next 20 years - suddenly a bit steep!

Not saying that kittens should be paid for, or how much, just a funny quirk thats all.

You shouldn't need to pay anything for a kitten at all or go to any rescue centre. There's always someone near us giving them away. Ask around OP and see if anyone knows of someone who has some or who's cat is pregnant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You shouldn't need to pay anything for a kitten at all or go to any rescue centre. There's always someone near us giving them away. Ask around OP and see if anyone knows of someone who has some or who's cat is pregnant.

this thread was started in 2010

someone has resurrected it ;-)