Options

Pup / hospital crisis

Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
Forum Member
We have a 9 week old pup - she is good as gold and wonderful. But my partner has just been rushed to hospital and I had to leave her home alone for 3 hours yesterday. I have a lobby and a safe fenced off area in the garden so left the doors open. She was absolutely fine when I got home, fast asleep. She had been to the toilet outside - good girl!!
He is going to be in all weekend - my promised dog sitter has just fallen through - so she is going to have to be left again. Of course I am going home and being with her, splitting my time between home and hospital. Hopefully this is just 2 days and I am trying to find someone to come be with her - but - is this awful? Am I the worlds worst pet owner? She was just fine yesterday but this morning very much did not want to be shut in the lobby... I shall go home at lunch time for feeds and play. Pop back to the hospital and then home again for dinner.
I should add that partner is quite seriously ill - not able to understand or take in what the doctors say or answer their questions so I do need to be there rather than just pop in for a half hour visit. It's not a broken leg...
I feel just awful.... I gave her a good run about and play this morning and she usually sleeps till lunch anyway. But oh - my heart breaks... For her & for my partner. I hope to god he comes home on Monday. She is a German Shepherd if that makes any difference. Been with us a week and previously raised on a farm without a lot of fuss or interaction so that is possibly why she was quite happy left pottering about outdoors - she loves the outdoors! But would have been used to the company of other dogs. I am sitting in hospital with my partner fretting mainly about the dog!!! When I go home I shall be fretting about him.
Is this a pup disaster or am I worrying too much?
It is short term - one of us is home every day normally. Sorry for the garbling...
Jxxx

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your vets might know of someone you can use at short notice, if they're open today, ours doesnt open on a Saturday.

Ultimately things happen and there might be nothing you can do, as long as she has her needs met and she's ok you might have to accept it.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you have a kennels near you? Then you wouldn't have the double worry.

Hope your partner is better soon.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down you sound panicked, it's not ideal obviously but as pup was fine no harm done. If it turns to more than two days you have options because Monday vets kennels etc will all be open. Could your breeder take pup back for a few days is another possibility.
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Calm down you sound panicked, it's not ideal obviously but as pup was fine no harm done. If it turns to more than two days you have options because Monday vets kennels etc will all be open. Could your breeder take pup back for a few days is another possibility.

This is a good idea. Contact the breeder and as if they could take her back fora few days. Even if you have to leave pup, don't panic but I know what you mean. I had a pup last year (he's one now) and it's like looking after a baby.
  • Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    It is a good idea and I am feeling panicked! The breeder lives 2.5 hours away however. We've done lunch and play and toilets and she's on her own again with Colombo for company.... She's so good bless her. xx
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure she will be fine I hope your partner is ok too.
  • Options
    Kirsty ScotKirsty Scot Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope all is now well but it does make a difference the breed of the dog. RSPCA will not let you have a German shephard if you are going to be leaving it at home for long periods as these dogs want to be around people. My dog will not leave my side he even follows me to the toilet and sits outside waiting for me, if I nip to the shops at the top of the road he goes berserk when I get back.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    There is no harm at all in leaving a dog home alone for three or four hours at a time on a regular basis.

Just make sure the environment is safe and that it has plenty of fresh water.