Crappiest Xmas TV ever

2»

Comments

• mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    BigRedSam wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous program. Gormless people inventing systems to pick random numbers and being greedy (no concept of value or risk:reward ratio whatsoever)

I'm still waiting for a statistician to go on the show and just pick numbers in order.. 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5..
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    What did ITV become?.

Shit.
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a statistician to go on the show and just pick numbers in order.. 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5..

Unfortunately, TV companies vet quiz show contestants to ensure they are suitably unintelligent. I often wonder just how hard the BBC have to try to find people as stupid as the ones they get on The Weakest Link.
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Unfortunately, TV companies vet quiz show contestants to ensure they are suitably unintelligent. I often wonder just how hard the BBC have to try to find people as stupid as the ones they get on The Weakest Link.

Not as unintelligent as the people who run the damn things though.

Both the US and the UK versions of Million Dollar/Pound Drop have had contestants give correct answers, only to be told that they were wrong.

Strangely, though, while the screwup has destroyed the US version's ratings, the same didn't happen in the UK.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Some of that is tactics. If you answer every question right, you'll most likely get voted off by the time you are down to the last three or four.
    So you have to delibratly get some wrong, but not enough to get booted off in the early rounds.

But as to the thread, not much held my attention. Rock and chips maybe, but even that seemed a bit of a disappointment compared to the first one.

Oh, one highlight, Lisa on 'Ice road truckers'. :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Some of that is tactics. If you answer every question right, you'll most likely get voted off by the time you are down to the last three or four.
    So you have to delibratly get some wrong, but not enough to get booted off in the early rounds.

The "I musn't draw too much attention to myself" tactic. Even though some know for a fact that you're the strongest link, they might choose you because they feel threatened by you ..... as will the others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its been really shite! The only programmes I've managed to watch are the things I usually do like Eastenders and football. I yearn for normality to return, when I'll have at least something new and interesting to watch in the evenings.
    Forum Member

Ugh.. that's why I'm glad that show was cancelled in the US after only a year. I don't want to watch a show where the mediocre vote to get rid of the exceptional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been utterly appalling. I just can't get over how bad it is this year.

I've watched Doctor Who and that's it! I'll be catching up with Upstairs, Downstairs when I'm feeling well enough to enjoy it but other than that, there has been nothing. The choice of films have been ridiculously bad, especially from the BBC who usually go to a decent effort in that area at this time of year.

I've spent most of this Christmas relying solely on DVDs, but you can only watch so many before you want something different.
    Forum Member
    Maybe they're just copying the US model. We never have new content on the 25th. Christmas specials usually air around the beginning of december.

Christmas day itself is usually just showing old Christmas movies. For example, AMC was pretty much just showing Scrooged on repeat.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, one highlight, Lisa on 'Ice road truckers'. :)

She's a gem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been bad. There has been a lot of cartoons on but not many good movies, hey also keep showing different versions of the same movie e.g Oliver Twist, Scrooge, Miricle of 34th street
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    IMO, the most appalling Xmas TV ever.

A sad indictment of the BBC's cost-cutting. Instead of dumping some overpaid presenters and getting rid of the truly awful News 24, they reduced new series to a ridiculous 3 episodes each which meant nothing had time to 'bed in' and become popular enough for a Xmas Special this year-there was simply nothing to look forward to!

Unless they sort themselves out, it will only get worse. As for ITV, they blow their wad on so-called 'Talent' shows all year round so there's damn-all left for Xmas.

Channel Four gave up the fight years ago and the rest just don't care.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I'm not a TV viewer but I did manage to catch "The Red Baron" over the festivve period and enjoyed it.

It portrayed von Richthofen as a 'decent bloke' whereas some of the stuff I've seen on the internet indicates he was a bloodthirsty character.

Mind you, from what I understand of WW1 it would have brought out the evil side of anyone.
    Forum Member
    King Wrong wrote: »
    IMO, the most appalling Xmas TV ever.

I'd agree with that.

I wonder if this is a cultural shift? People used to set aside time after the Christmas dinner to watch TV with the family so the TV companies could assure themselves of good viewing figures.
    With the proliferation of games consoles, multi-channel TV, DVD/BluRay and the internet, I suspect old-fashioned 7-figure viewing figures are simply unattainable these days, so it's not worth trying to achieve them with the kind of blockbuster programmes we used to get.
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Strangely, though, while the screwup has destroyed the US version's ratings, the same didn't happen in the UK.

Is that because the British usually just take what we are spoon fed? This being the reason why Corrie and East Enders have been on every night for the best part of 40 years.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Xmas tv has been kak for years- only think I recorded this year was the royale family and come fly with me (which was pretty dire)